Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

No Plans to Implement Add a auto translate function to loka

BlueBird88_

I wanna know what my korean/polish/japanese or any other teammates from foreign nations are talking about in chat, maybe some people cant speak english well so it would be useful to see what they are calling out in chat. Not sure how to implement it but a auto translate function where you can choose what chats and what languages get translated would be useful. (not sure if this has been suggested beforehand, my apologies if this idea has been brought forth and rejected at a past time) (and it doesnt have to be perfect, theres some mobile games with said function and it helps a lot when communicating with others)
And a translator to languages other than english would be useful too, most notably with the japanese, korean and chinese community of loka.

Last edited:

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
More or less the biggest problem with this is that it's a service we'd have to pay for that translates every single thing people say, which really adds up. It's an interesting idea but not a cheap one. In a future where Loka grows even bigger, it becomes more likely that regional Lokas exist to the point where having such a combined international community becomes less likely, as people migrate to their local regions.

BlueBird88_

Could it be possible to run the messages through a translating software like google translate (no idea if it would work but just naming something off the top of my head), maybe that would be a cheaper alternative?(not sure if it would take up server space, and if it would how much would it take up)
Sorry if its a nonsensical suggestion on my part.

Skuhoo

Administrator
Staff member
Elder
Could it be possible to run the messages through a translating software like google translate (no idea if it would work but just naming something off the top of my head), maybe that would be a cheaper alternative?(not sure if it would take up server space, and if it would how much would it take up)
Sorry if its a nonsensical suggestion on my part.

Yes, but Google translate (Google cloud translation) is a service that charges per character. Additionally, we'd need to translate each message into multiple different languages to support everyone on Loka which would greatly increase costs.

There's open-source machine translation models out there that we could host ourselves but they are resource-heavy and create poor quality translations.

Back