Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Adding coal and redstone to currency

Artagan

Slicer
When we talk about what our currency is with new players, we typically say that we use ores. Their immediate response is often "Does that include coal and redstone?", to which we obviously reply "No". I was thinking, why don't we include those? We could just give them values lower than one, so that using them at the bank was hardly worthwhile, but they were still usable. They'd be like the pennies and nickels of Loka. :D

EDIT: I know, there is no point to this. It'd just be a novelty to have something similar to small change in our currency system.

EDIT: As a projection:

Coal: .01
Redstone: .05

mopb3

Slicer
I've been in support of this for a while, but Asy turned it down himself and was rather adamant on the subject; so really just don't expect it to happen

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
When coming up with the currency we specifically only used the three main ores, the point being that they would be set prices and people could use that to decide what prices they wanted to charge for items etc. The reason we used iron, gold, and diamond is that these were the easiest to value, and is simple. Lapis was then added because loloplane campaigned to asymp about it due to him having a lot stored away and convinced asymp to set the high price for it that still remains. I strongly disagree with coal being added for numerous reasons such as does that include charcoal which can be farmed, and is incredibly common. Redstone again is quite common and is more useful to some players than others making it hard to value, and i would also prefer players to decide their own price for it when trading. I may possibly be open to redstone if it was given a very low price and a good argument was put in front of me but in all honesty i didn't even want lapis.

Opyc

Slicer
Glowstone should be there too cause it dwindles after a while in the nether as we all know. It wouldn't hurt to have maybe it could be a withdrawl only item.

Opyc

Zor95

Slicer
The problem with this is not depositing it into the bank, but withdrawing.

1 iron ingot =/= 100 pieces of coal

It'd ruin the market.

As for lapis... meh. It's uncommon and has no use after you dye a few sheep. Might as well do something with it.

Opyc

Slicer
how does 10 coal per 1 iron ingot

and 20 redstone per 1 iron ingot

and 1 glow stone per 1 iron ingot

Loki

I still don't understand why we need a base currency now that a generator essentially is a bank and takes any form of currency, why not just use iron as our base currency instead of emeralds? Emeralds could be left out of the whole system.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Loki said:
I still don't understand why we need a base currency now that a generator essentially is a bank and takes any form of currency.

I thought generators only took emeralds? Do they actually take everything else that you could otherwise deposit into the bank?

Loki

Last I checked they did, I'm not sure about now. It's sort of useless though if they're deposit only and you can manually set the range without having columns of cookies. It'd be easier for us to put any currency in and remove the base currency, as iron already is our 1.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
Ok as usual people aren't listening to what i said.

"We specifically only used the three main ores, the point being that they would be set prices and people could use that to decide what prices they wanted to charge for items etc."

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
Also we wish to remain a legit server, therefore we want as few items as possible being able to be withdrawn from the bank, as these are technically spawned in.

Loki

Magpieman said:

"We specifically only used the three main ores, the point being that they would be set prices and people could use that to decide what prices they wanted to charge for items etc."

Then what are emeralds for if we could just stick iron into a generator? Either way it's coming out of our banks, whether it is iron or emeralds we are putting into our generators.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
Yes emeralds may not have a use now, unless we change their value relative to iron. We will see.

mopb3

Slicer
Loki said:
Magpieman said:

Then what are emeralds for if we could just stick iron into a generator? Either way it's coming out of our banks, whether it is iron or emeralds we are putting into our generators.
All items besides emeralds have a 10% fee when withdrawing, making Emeralds the best option financially for keeping up generators.

Just FYI, not gonna happen. The bank is basically a currency exchange, and iron, gold, diamond are all valuable in a traditional sense. As Magpie has already said, we're trying to encourage trade by limiting what the bank does. Above all nothing must go in and out of the bank that can be farmed, or the currency will just collapse.

Back