Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Alts in Multiple Towns

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
The problem we want to solve is alts/siblings being in multiple towns, giving players an unfair advantage in conquest (calling reins on other continents, moduling another towns gens etc.) and wasting vast amounts of staff time trying to figure out whether they are legitimate or not. Obviously, it's against the rules to use an alt on Loka, and that will still be the case, however, siblings will often account share, which can be hard for us to detect. At an LCR meeting, we were in agreement over a solution to the problem but still wanted to run it past the wider community to see if there are any issues it may bring that we have missed. Especially with it being a fairly extreme change.

Something some other servers do is ban any player logging in with an alt/on the same ip. We don't want to do something that punishing as we know numerous siblings play on the server, as well as those using the same connection in University/College.

Our solution is to prevent possible alts from being in multiple towns at once. This means:
  • If you have played on the same connection as someone else, you will have to join the same town as each other or remain a nomad.
  • In order to change towns, both players would have to leave the town and become nomads before attempting to join another.
  • Players who have been tagged as an alt but do not live under the same roof irl will be given an exemption, preventing them from being tagged as alts of one another. All they would need to do is dm a staff member or make a /report.
  • Possible alts that live in the same house irl, such as siblings, cannot remove the possible alt tag. The reason for this is despite it legitimately being two individuals, they often have easy access to one another's account and/or can manipulate the other to act on their behalf.

We would have to grandfather people into the system and have a grace period. After which, we would find what alts are still remaining in multiple towns and remove the players who joined their town most recently. They would then be able to join the same town as their possible alt or remain a nomad.

It's very very rare that siblings would want to be part of different towns on the same server. If they didn't get along with each other then they wouldn't be playing on the same server. We feel this solution will remove the unfair advantages some could gain in conquest and free up staff time to focus on more important matters, rather than wasting hours watching possible alts. Would love to hear any feedback you guys have.

NerdieBirdieYT

Slicer
Am in college and this seems a-ok.

Just to confirm, if someone at my college wanted to be in a Town outside NN, that's fine, right?

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Am in college and this seems a-ok.

Just to confirm, if someone at my college wanted to be in a Town outside NN, that's fine, right?

If they shared your IP (how Possible Alts work), we'd have to whitelist them, otherwise by default they would be considered alts and thus be prevented from joining any other towns.

Grubul

Slicer
Just go to everyones house and force them to join your town by playing on their IP

mindblaster007

I got a problem with this. What if someone’s siblings decided to have a family brawl cause they hate each other and they don’t want to be in the same town? Or if one doesn’t get along with the town owner, and the other does? This forces the sibling that doesn’t get along with the owner to either stay, and things will get hostile, or they can be a nomad and do nothing but walk around the continents.

NerdieBirdieYT

Slicer
If they shared your IP (how Possible Alts work), we'd have to whitelist them, otherwise by default they would be considered alts and thus be prevented from joining any other towns.
Gotcha.

So if someone were to try to join a different Town without knowing there are people at this college in NN, they'd get some sort of message in chat, I assume?

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Gotcha.

So if someone were to try to join a different Town without knowing there are people at this college in NN, they'd get some sort of message in chat, I assume?

It is/was our intention to inform people when they themselves have been detected as a possible alt, so you should have some awareness of this before trying to join another town. But in that case you'd still be told either way if you cannot join a town for any reason, etc.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
I got a problem with this. What if someone’s siblings decided to have a family brawl cause they hate each other and they don’t want to be in the same town? Or if one doesn’t get along with the town owner, and the other does? This forces the sibling that doesn’t get along with the owner to either stay, and things will get hostile, or they can be a nomad and do nothing but walk around the continents.
The server has been live for over 8 years and to our knowledge, we could come up with only 2 examples where this has ever happened. In one of those examples, the player was banned because they were harassing their family member so much. So, in reality, there has only been one incident in 8 years, which makes it a very niche and edge case. If family members do not get on, it is bizarre and very rare that they would wish to play on the same Minecraft server as one another at all. With regards to not getting along with the town owner, I would like to think the siblings would be mature enough to discuss with one another the problem and work through it in that town or both leave together. In most cases, siblings tend to be the ones owning the town as it is much easier for them to reach the minimum town member restriction.

You do bring up a worthwhile point, we just feel it is very niche.

Granted it's plausible that cases like these increase in the future, and if that does happen we can re-evaluate this mechanic. Until said time though I don't feel it is worth allowing one family to live in multiple towns at the cost of harming everyone else on the server. (To note this family in question no longer breaches this mechanic and there are no active players to our knowledge that will be harmed by this change)

FamilyTuber

Slicer
This is a very thought out solution! I don't see any problems with this besides the ones brought up already which really aren't a huge problem as the solution will help many more people than harm.

Back