Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

An Audit of Loka

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
One of the things we've said of late is that we are going to make a YouTube video that describes briefly how to get started on the server. We think this is fundamental to have before starting another advertising spree. simply put loka is complex and unlike any other server, so a lot of people get overwhelmed when they are new and some just flat-out quit as a result. We feel, beyond just a new video, that there are things we can improve on with the server. Converting /town list, /town apply, and /c ranks into a GUI system that uses towns banners for more structure and ease-of-use are a few examples.

These kinds of small, but important changes are the kind of thing that make the server feel more mature and help new players understand a server better. So, what we are looking to do is reach out to the whole community and get your opinions on small but effective things we could change to help players learn how the server works.

Try to remember when you were new, and think of things that might have confused you, or things you wish you had that would've helped you figure out what to do on the server. Even small features that we already have but just could be changed a slight bit to be a lot more effective (like the examples above).

if we can really solidify our new player experience, and clean up some old and crusty systems, we can hopefully do a lot better job retaining new players that next time we choose to advertise. Let's hear it!

-Crypt

13scooter13

Slicer
Unless there already is, maybe as a tip that pops up to say there is a book to read in the library to read to help new players. And maybe more information about how religions work on the server. I had zero idea about them until 4 weeks after i made my town i was reading chat and people were talking about it. There were no tips or any other way i would have known about them otherwise if i wasnt paying attention that time.

Wizardteepot

Slicer
As I'm guiding a newer player around my town, there's a lot of minute details that could be useful to have tutorials and tips about:

- How can players make money on the server?
- I'm chopping this spruce wood log, but only getting oak. What are biome restrictions?
- The intro course taught me a bit about Conquest, but nothing about radars or modules. What are those?
- People keep talking about resource islands? What are those?
- How can I get shulkers and Elytra on this server? What about a beacon?
- Why did my town's daily cost change?
- Can someone raid my town? Will my town die if someone declares war on it?
- What does town/alliance strength mean?
- How do Ancient Ingots work?
- Lore? What's that???
- Why is Byran celebrating the wrong holiday?
- What is Rivina/Balak?
- How do I use the Marketplace?
- What is an Industry?

I'll be more than happy to update this list with more questions and answers as I think of them.

NerdieBirdieYT

Slicer
Once the tutorial is done, the wiki, forum, and Discord should be strongly pushed to the player. The wiki has been extraordinarily helpful for me, personally, and thr forum/Discord allow them to ask questions.

DFG1125

Slicer
To add to what Busco said, you could add it to the World Map and just show a little more detail, and no tiles obviously

NerdieBirdieYT

Slicer
Making a map of the spawn with info about all the useful things around can help. And placing the link to on the center or somewhere they can access
Theoretically, we could already do this by going high above spawn and screenshotting, then labeling different places.

I might have to look into that.

RedSkilZZ

Guardian
/help is usually the first thing I check on a new server to see what types of commands I can use and what types of plugin the server uses. Perhaps adding a new [Server Info] tab in /help containing links to videos, the website help page (which could also be updated) and the wiki page would help get info to newer players.

Grubul

Slicer
Amen. Maybe make the website mobile friendly while we’re at it
Completley agree!

---------------------------------
I guess my view on the tutorial is:

Its super short, and doesnt transition into Loka itself too fluently.
A player Just joined the server. He has a task - Follow this super short path, and you are welcomed! Like Cut off with a knife!

What does he do after that? Its his choice! And this is where i see it being a problem.
Most of the quests (atleast which i made) are gathering quests, where you gotta get Item X and bring it to the npc. Its not a quest to learn loka.

Id love if the tutorial would start with an NPC giving us a quest and a story, of why we woke up in the cave. And the quest line would slowly merge with existing exploration quests. EX: Go to npcX to finish this task, he will give you a new one. And a quest to join a town (and after a player is a member of a town, talk with npc again to finish off that questline)
… Atleast that last quest would push the responsibility of keeping players entertained and educated to the towns.

RuneScape quests were so often in a quest line, that it kept the players going on and on and on.
----------------------------------

Also, if any of you have played HungerGames on minigame servers, i remember them having this panoramic view of a place, with no other players or myself visible.

As soon as a player joins on loka, could be cool for him to see few panoramic views of how cool the server can be. Max 5-10 seconds each. Like:
Custom Terrain, (some cool terrain places)
Great towns. (best looking town)
Becoming a capital by ruling the land! (capital halls)

Also, having GUI on as much things as possible is awesome. Would be great to have it even on /mail tho.

koi0001

Guardian
explain how strength works and why it is perused - many new players get confused on this part of the server from my experiences

DFG1125

Slicer
Making a map of the spawn with info about all the useful things around can help. And placing the link to on the center or somewhere they can access
Was just looking around, and there's a map of Aladra in the museum, however I feel there should be more than one map of Aladra placed around but at the very least there is one there.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Was just looking around, and there's a map of Aladra in the museum, however I feel there should be more than one map of Aladra placed around but at the very least there is one there.

It'll be nice to use the new maps with map markers in 1.13 to help people get around Aladra

Steve5729

Slicer
I remember back in Pavis everyone was always wondering about pay to win and stuff like that so I think an explanation of orbs would be nice.

Last edited:
Back