Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Suggestion balanced, continents and custom biomes.

Should Loka consider changing it's natural resources?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

koi0001

Guardian
I'm creating this forum as a means to hopefully open discussion as to the situation of biomes, biome specific items and the continents being fairly made.

I'm addressing something that has bothered me for a considerable amount of time. The continents are not fairly balanced out I believe. The reason for this being is that in terms of items that are unable to be recreated easily Ascalon easily has a larger amount than the two other continents. Ascalon offers llamas, mushroom blocks, leather and clay cliffs. It seems to me that the other two continents don't have much to offer in contrast to this.

After considering this problem for awhile I came to the conclusion the only way to make the continents more fair would be taking certain resources away from Ascalon as adding any other resource to the other continents would start to make certain resources to easy to obtain and making the idea of the continent sensitive resources become fruitless to say the least. I then came to the conclusion that the best solution for all parties is to add new items to Loka. I believe this would tie in heavily to how Loka is seen as a individual unique server by all.
My personal ideas so far for unique tiles/resources are...
Mob spawns are blue, industry suggestions are black and removing from items from certain biomes/continents are red.
  • custom new mobs that drop new items used in the unique custom crafting part of Loka.
  • Tile sensitive mob drops.
  • removing melons from Ascalon/Kalros
  • removing Carrots from Kalros/Garama
  • Adding glowstone/sea lanterns. (Making tiles/biomes unique to certain blocks)
  • adding guardians to certain waters.
  • adding biome custom rare mobs.
  • adding prismarine to certain tiles.
  • limiting of the superseding biome check tile.
I'd like to reference the wikia as support for my belief of the continents being unbalanced. http://loka.wikia.com/wiki/Biomes_and_Resources

Thanks Mrp and Magpieman for contributing towards this forum.

Attachments

• 2017-07-25_00.21.53.png
    2017-07-25_00.21.53.png
    369.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 2017-07-25_00.23.28.png
    2017-07-25_00.23.28.png
    442.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 2017-07-25_00.26.03.png
    2017-07-25_00.26.03.png
    237.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

koi0001

Guardian
I'd like to point out that that the listing of Ascalon's natural resources is outdated.

Skuhoo

Administrator
Staff member
Elder
The lack of prismarine-based blocks, items, and mobs is an issue that will be dealt with in a future update that's currently being worked on.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
I seem to see two different suggestions here, one that's more "Would be nice to have" for the future out and are just suggestions of things that everybody has a lack of (Sea Temple Blocks) vs an argument about the current continent resources.

In the context of existing continent resources, we basically boil down "What's Important" to things that actually affect Conquest/PvP. Naturally there are pros and cons to the three continents in terms of things like wood, but that's also an entirely subjective viewpoint. What truly has an effect on the balance (Conquest-wise) of loka is the continent resources.

I would ask that you further breakdown why you feel about your certain points on things like Melons/Carrots and the Biome Control comment. Your other points are sound and we have plans to address most of the rest anyway.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
I will wait for your response to crypt but I am ready to tear your argument apart. Continents are incredibly balanced and the only thing I will agree with is apples. (which I want to nerf)

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
I will wait for your response to crypt but I am ready to tear your argument apart. Continents are incredibly balanced and the only thing I will agree with is apples. (which I want to nerf)

He's had this argument a number of times before :>

But it'll be good to have this conversation here, that way it can be referenced in future scenarios when it comes up again.

koi0001

Guardian
If you wanted too you should probably go ahead as this thread has essentially been answered

I seem to see two different suggestions here, one that's more "Would be nice to have" for the future out and are just suggestions of things that everybody has a lack of (Sea Temple Blocks) vs an argument about the current continent resources.

In the context of existing continent resources, we basically boil down "What's Important" to things that actually affect Conquest/PvP. Naturally there are pros and cons to the three continents in terms of things like wood, but that's also an entirely subjective viewpoint. What truly has an effect on the balance (Conquest-wise) of loka is the continent resources.

I would ask that you further breakdown why you feel about your certain points on things like Melons/Carrots and the Biome Control comment. Your other points are sound and we have plans to address most of the rest anyway.

I believe the sea temple blocks is just a side thing that you've notice and seen as something as much bigger than it is. I'm pretty happy you've brought this up because the reason I suggested sea temple blocks is that there's not very much else out there that would not be covered already in RI, Nether or other continents. That's also why I suggested adding Loka unique items as a possible item unique to the continent.

The reason I believe that things like carrots, potatoes and such should be nerfed continent wise is because I personally think they they should be restricted to one continent simply because it'd become more of a continent unique resource. Both are considerably useful and therefore would become as leather is now something that towns could put a cap on for trade and own the market.
Eldritch owns most of Ascalon and doesn't asks their towns to not sell to anyone in large amounts or for low prices. The only resources right now that share this trait is hardened clay (which any town can get due to smelting clay) and packed ice which is considerably rare to just Kalros.

Makijng some of the items unique to a continent like leather would add to towns trading, strategical placement of towns and conquest. I'd just like to make sure that the point of Sea temple blocks to a tile was just an example actually it's just a unique item that might make another continent more appealing to certain players/unique. (in hindsight I should of highlighted that I'm sorry I didn't I have no idea how I expected players to jump to that conclusion) I'm not suggesting it because I feel that sea lanterns are great and I just can't get enough of them, I'm suggesting it because I feel that it'd become a unique biome buff and would make players more interested in certain areas.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
Apologies for sounding so aggressive earlier but I do get a little frustrated when this topic comes up time and time again with little or no well-formulated argument as to why. I spend a lot of time making sure Loka remains balanced and that includes a lot of thought as to where resources are on the map.

Potatoes are already restricted to the north. The reason we cannot restrict carrots is pigs require them which means the south has to have carrots. However, the south already has a lot of crop types due to its climate. Also they are required to breed horses which are found on every continent.

As for sea temple blocks we have plans in the works to add them in the near future but they will not be restricted.

I too want more restricted resources added to the map but minecraft does not make that easy because we are so limited by the number of blocks and resources that are in the game. I have ideas on how to add new custom ones but it requires huge amounts of work to implement. There is also the issue of coming up with what these custom ones do that are not pvp related. We have tried to add more uses to existing items such using them in alcohol recipes or being required to build modules on generators and I hope to add more uses for less desirable resources in the future. (this should encourage players to embargo them)

The problem is; whether most blocks are desirable or not is very subjective. Whether that be packed ice, spruce, jungle wood, clay etc.

Last edited:
Back