Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Newbie Protection

EastBowmen

Slicer
Earlier today, a new player joined Loka. He/she was playing on the server for approximately ten minutes until he/she died to a zombie and immediately logged off. This is not the first time I have seen this happen. I myself have done similar nothings on other servers due to the early frustration. How to solve this problem is quite a puzzle, but I believe I have found a solution to this re-occurring issue. My idea is that when a new player joins the real world, they spawn in with a two hour protection. This protection exempts them from all possible damage, wether it be from players, mobs, or nature. However, they could have the option of disabling this protection and play regularly if wanted. Five minutes before the two hours of protection ended, they would recieve a notification which states that their protection from the wild would ware off in 5 minutes. Once the two hours has come, the player would recieve one more notification informing them that the protection has officially worn off and to be aware of possible dangers.
Now... Let's stop the ragequitters!

Ronshaud

Slicer
Great brainstorming but, not having fall damage or any damage in the wild isn't really cool IMO. Why not just have them not take damage from mobs? Players apart of towns or Nomads won't bother to go and look for the newcomer.

Not a bad idea. I like that new players would have the option to play without the protection. The only issue I can think of would be the pressure of racing against the clock to claim a spot in Loka. A lot of players want to get to know the server first and are trying to decide whether or not they should join a town, start a town, or just build a home. Maybe the protection could activate once the leave spawn protection. They would get a pop up message giving them the option to use the two hour protection, go on without, or wait back in spawn for when they are ready to go out and explore.

Ronshaud

Slicer
Maybe the protection could activate once the leave spawn protection. They would get a pop up message giving them the option to use the two hour protection
Some players might leave the message there and travel out far. Then they will scroll back up to click the two hour protection just so they can build their home or just to have it on when they have settled down. They might also use it when mining. The player would go staircasing and will click the option and might fall in lava without taking damage.

Ronshaud

Slicer
Maybe have the message active for a limited time like queuing for a pvp match.
I say players are given one minute to respond to the options. When 30 secs is reached, players are notified that their option is close to getting disbanded.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Interesting idea. Fortunately, we've been discussing this of late as well and there are a number of things we'll be doing in the near and distant future to hopefully help new players in Loka. We'll keep this one in mind though!

adderman500

Slicer
How about we have it where for the first couple of hours if a noob dies their inventory is preserved?

mopb3

Slicer
I detest hand holding, that's the exact opposite of what we've always been about. Eugh.

EastBowmen

Slicer
How about we have it where for the first couple of hours if a noob dies their inventory is preserved?
Well the player usually quits when they die and wouldn't realize that their inventory would stay. When I say that they quit when they die I mean that they quit when the option to re spawn and the option to log off pops up.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
I think because we're between Marketing pushes, we're getting very random players, probably some from PMC who have no idea what kind of server Loka is. When we get players from reddit and the like, they're usually aware that Loka is survival and that you can die. Some of the very random people that drop in with no knowledge leave quickly because they're not looking for a survival server. That's my thought anyway...

Artagan

Slicer
If it helps retain good members and just holds their hands for those first two hours, I'm for it. The ball is in Crypt's court on this.

I think because we're between Marketing pushes, we're getting very random players, probably some from PMC who have no idea what kind of server Loka is. When we get players from reddit and the like, they're usually aware that Loka is survival and that you can die. Some of the very random people that drop in with no knowledge leave quickly because they're not looking for a survival server. That's my thought anyway...

I think you're just biased in favor of Reddit. ;)

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
I think you're just biased in favor of Reddit. ;)

I have yet to find a community that brings the quality of players that reddit does. If you know any, please say so; we need to continue to get the word out about Loka, but what we get from PMC is usually unfortunately horrible.

DoktorDuck

A few days ago two people joined Loka and PELLANOR took them into the wilds and killed them while I was trying to give them tours. I think this is a great idea.

Back