Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Proposed September Conquest Changes

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
I think it's fair to say, since the release of C3 there has been a mixed reaction to how Balak functions. Balak was originally designed to force the biggest towns to fight each other, rather than farming new or weak towns in order to win world capital. It has succeeded in doing this and making the battle for world cap as balanced as it could possibly be.

However this has come at some costs. To fight for world capital you are restricted to a small window where you can fight, which means it locks some players out of ever competing. Continent warfare has taken a back seat, partly as a result of towns not being able to fight the capitals for 4 hours during the peak play time (while the capitals are on Balak). Those fighting on Balak effectively have a 12 hour vuln window (8 hours on continent and 4 hours on balak) as a result of Balak and continent vuln times not being able to overlap. 12 hours is an unrealistic length of time to expect people to defend without completely no-lifeing.

The core issue is we have made conquest too restrictive in order to achieve maximum balance. The truth of the matter is conquest is a fluid and dynamic system. Politics plays a huge part and it's not always as simple as a two alliances fighting it out for world cap with nobody else being involved. The proposed changes massively lift current restrictions, but will slightly reduce the 'perfect' balance of Balak. The changes are listed bellow:
  • Balak no longer has a specific vuln window. You can fight on Balak at anytime of day. This also means Balak will no longer have keep on death unless it's a battle zone.
  • Balak will now use town/alliances vuln windows. This means it is now possible to fight on Balak at the same time as on the continents.
  • You can now only have a maximum of 2 inhibs set up against you at one time. (you can still only be attacked once at a time on Balak)
This should allow everyone to have the chance to fight on Balak, not just those who play at the peak time. It also allows everyone to take part in continent conquest and will most likely promote more continent fighting. While there is now the possibility of having to fight both on Balak and the continent simultaneously, we don't feel it will be as big of an issue as it first sounds. The current dynamic, which has been the same since C3, is the 2 sides all group up into the same alliances in order to fight for world cap. Therefore if an alliance splits into two groups in order to fight you on the continent at the same time as Balak then they put themselves at a massive disadvantage on Balak with a lack of members. Loka has always had 2 sides and never a third despite attempts to promote it. This is just human nature and very unlikely to change. The final change, to cap the number of inhibs that can be set up against you, is to prevent 'cheese strats' that could come about with the new system.

These changes will lift many restrictions, making conquest more free and open like it used to be, while still achieving what we set out to do with Balak.

DFG1125

Slicer
Loka has always had 2 sides and never a third despite attempts to promote it. This is just human nature and very unlikely to change.
I disagree with this statement. The sides are: Covenant/iBlis, Everyone else/Sovngarde, and Miracalis

Also yes, I am 100% in favor of this

Last edited:

jmeatball

Slicer
Isn't that Sovngarde side?
Nah they split away, though I think Zorros is still Sovngarde.

Also Yeah I can agree with most of this but what about us European Guys? Won't this mean even less conquest and force us to stay up real late if we want to fight? I mean I understand a majority of the player base is American, but still it does hurt to have to stay up till 1 or 2 am just to get to go to a fight

RedSkilZZ

Guardian
what about us European Guys?

From what I understand most alliances have their vuln set either before or during the current Balak vuln window. IMO it allows for more flexibility to European guys. It also allows the (small) lokan playerbase from Asia to have a chance at making fights.

RayWard54

Slicer
I feel like most of the changes here were nessecary, except for the two inhibs at the same time maximum. This feels like a way for really strong towns to avoid being attacked many times by a few smaller towns, as usually the only way a bunch of smaller towns can win fights against much larger ones is by getting each town to place at the same time. Now this may sound petty, but it is an actual strategy and a major way to fight towns much larger than yourself. My reccomendation would be up it to 3 or 4 inhibs at once, just to make it slightly better for smaller towns. You could argue that the inhib cap would benefit small towns by making it so they cannot be attacked as much, but this is only half true. The smaller town would still be destroyed by the bigger town because they have a larger fighting force, the inhib cap would just slow them down. Besides, if a larger town makes the mistake of placing all 5 inhibs the small town might be able to defend one or two of them.

OperaGhost2004

this is for Balak, not continents @RayWard54. Balak mostly has larger towns, with a maximum of 4 alliances on it per month. most smaller towns won't even get to Balak, at least not for quite a while.

Skuhoo

Administrator
Staff member
Elder
this is for Balak, not continents @RayWard54. Balak mostly has larger towns, with a maximum of 4 alliances on it per month. most smaller towns won't even get to Balak, at least not for quite a while.
No, the limit for inhibs on a town/alliance is global. But keep in mind that it's a limit on concurrent inhibs, not fights. So if a town places on someone, two inhibs can still be placed on them at the same time, resulting in the town having to deal with 3 fights at once.

ModernMozart1787

No, the limit for inhibs on a town/alliance is global. But keep in mind that it's a limit on concurrent inhibs, not fights. So if a town places on someone, two inhibs can still be placed on them at the same time, resulting in the town having to deal with 3 fights at once.
thanks for clearing this up, I was slightly confused because I wasn't sure if it was a balak-only thing or continental as well, but now I think I get it.

Back