Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

The Candlewood Chronicles

Jedoi

Slicer
Prologue
A woman was falling to her death.

It wasn’t fair, really, that she should spend the last few moments of her life suffering as words painfully resonated within her head.

Gods. Mortals. War. Peace. Destruction. Creation. Ignorance. Knowledge. Death. Life.

Knowledge from a foreign land filled her brain to the brim, so much was stuffed in her head to the point where she was beginning to forget everything else.

First it was the arbitrary dates that she didn’t care all that much for, anyway. When the War of Aveian Succession began. The date the treaty of Maillon was signed. Then it was names- who led the movement that led to the legalization of Velkin immigration. The name of the first king of Aveia. She couldn’t quite remember the names of any other kingdoms in Aeylon. Everything she had studied her whole life, falling out of her head as she fell through the vast emptiness, all of it replaced with words that had no meaning.

The Artifact.

Freyjia. Preksak. Asymptonic.

The Artifact.

Vanir. Aesir. Cryptite.

The Artifact.

Sanya, Ak, Da, Taan, Char.

The Artifact. The Artifact. The Artifact.

Her mother’s name left her. She forgot her mentor’s voice. The name of her kingdom. Her city. Her guild. Her own name.

She shut her eyes tightly, hoping it would be over soon, when she felt… something. She opened her eyes, and where there had only been black emptiness, there was a girl hovering in front of her. She seemed to be floating more than falling, and didn’t seem afraid at all. With an outstretched hand, she gave the woman a warm and comforting smile.

“This doesn’t have to be the end. If you want, you can come with me.”

The woman took the girl’s hand.

Jedoi

Slicer
Chapter One: The Day I Died

Just hours earlier….

In the city where Alitheia was raised, murder was the second most serious crime. Theft and robbery, treason, assault, all very illegal and would get you into trouble, but none would earn you a execution sentence. The most heinous crime a person could commit within the walls of Runehold was the destruction of knowledge.

A few hundred years ago, an entire wing of the Great Library of Runehold was set aflame, and an entire era of history was almost lost. The ones who set the fire burned alive for their crime.

Sixteen pairs of wide, fearful eyes looked up at her. Alitheia held back a sigh. The more experienced Keepers said eight years of age was the appropriate time to learn this story, and the scribe was not one to disobey orders, no matter the reservations she had. One child shakily rose a hand. Alitheia nodded at him, silently giving him permission to speak.

“But the… the Seven Sages saved the day, right?” He asked, eyes shining a bit.

“Not… exactly. They saved the knowledge by using powerful old magic, but lost their minds in the process. That’s why all Keepers now have these.” She rolled up her sleeve to show off her wrist, where two tattoos sat proudly. The first, a simple flame, the symbol of the Keepers. The flame of knowledge cuts through the shadows of ignorance, their motto went. Underneath it, her name. Alitheia.

“We undertake great danger in the name of protecting Aeylon’s knowledge. Even if our minds and memories are lost to us, the flame of knowledge will lead us back home.” She explained, pride creeping into her voice. The children’s wide eyes shifted from fear to awe as she pulled her sleeve back down.

“My momma won’t let me get a tattoo.” A girl whispered, and Alitheia laughed. “If you become a Keeper, I’m sure she would.”

“Do you really th-” The girl paused at the sound of heavy footfalls echoing in the hallway. Alitheia put a finger to her lips, silencing the children, and flicked her wrist, hearing the lock within the door click safely. Almost immediately, a sharp knock on the door had the children wide eyed and fearful again. The scribe’s face hardened as she tore the red silk curtain from the window, tossing it over the group, and tracing a rune with her fingers in the air. The curtain turned invisible, hiding the children underneath, right as the door shattered into splinters.

Alitheia turned to face them as they stormed in. Six tall, muscular humans wearing heavy armor and scowls, their backs laden with weapons, met her gaze.

“You! Keeper! Help us find what we’re looking for!” One of the men ordered roughly.

Alitheia flinched. “I am no Keeper, sir, I am only a guest.” She begged, not faking the fear in her voice. The man narrowed his eyes and stalked toward her, grabbing her arm. She tried to pull away, but he managed to keep a steady hold of her as he rolled up her sleeve.

“I didn’t realize they gave guests Keeper tattoos.” He sneered. Alitheia scowled.

“Bring us to the technology wing.” He ordered. The scribe managed to resist glancing at the hidden children. The technology wing was on the other side of the library. Away from the children.

“Fine.” She breathed, pulling her arm away and stalking towards the door. She magically shut the door behind the last of the men as they exited.

The halls of the library, usually bustling with activity and filled with Keepers, students, and guests were empty, and silence permeated the area, adding to the sense of dread she felt as she betrayed her sacred duty. They walked in silence, but when they were almost there, the man spoke up again.

“Show us everything you have on knives.” He said.

She blinked. “Uhh… Knives would be in the weapons and warfare wing.” There was a chuckle throughout the group at that.

“And I thought Keepers were know-it-alls.” The man grinned. “Anything on teleportation, then.”

She furrowed her brow, but led them into the correct wing, pointing out which areas would have books and scrolls on those kinds of subjects.

“What’s this?” One of them called out. She glanced his way, looking at the massive wooden doors that led to one of the technology labs.

“I don’t know. I don’t have clearance for that area.” She partly lied. It was true she wasn’t allowed inside.

“Well, you better find a way to open it.” The leader replied, leaving the bookshelves to study the door. Alitheia hesitated, and then rose a hand, drawing a rune in the air. The doors flung open, and the leader hurried inside, and the scribe heard a gasp. She peered inside, curiosity getting the better of her, but she didn’t understand his shock.

A large metal structure was within, with various buttons and knobs on a panel in front of it. The man stalked toward it, eyes wide.

“Boys, get in here!” He shouted. The others rushed past the scribe, each with the near same reaction as the leader.

“That makes our job easier.” One of them grinned. The leader ignored them, finding his way to the panel and beginning to press buttons and turn various knobs. Every once in a while, he paused and checked a book hanging from his belt that she hadn’t previously noticed before continuing. While he worked, Alitheia took the opportunity to try sneaking away, but one of the other men grabbed her.

“Sir, what should we do with the Keeper?” He asked.

“I led you here, now let me go.” The scribe scowled.

“Should I kill her?” He went on. Alitheia’s heart went still.

“Not yet. We might still need her.” The leader replied without looking up. The scribe relaxed a little, trying to find some way out of this situation, when the structure lit up, along with the leader’s eyes.

“In formation, boys.” He ordered, and the man pushed her away, marching into the metal stucture’s platform. The leader pressed a final button and made his way onto the platform, where the light began glowing brighter and brighter.

Alitheia clenched her jaw. She was not letting them get away with whatever this thing was. She darted towards the panel, and turned one of the knobs, messing up the controls as much as she could.

“STOP!” The leader yelled, face contorting into fear and rage. He lunged out of the light and towards her, grabbed her by the collar of her robe with one hand, and with the other pulled the sword off his back. The scribe ducked and tried to twist around him, but managed to pull the man with her as she lunged away from the panel and toward the door. He stood his ground and held her firmly as he brought the sword across her chest.

She didn’t feel pain as the thick red line appeared across her skin, only the wetness of blood soaking into her robes. She pushed him towards the light. He pulled her with him, and the seven of them vanished in a blinding flash.

Gods. Mortals. War. Peace. Destruction. Creation. Ignorance. Knowledge. Death. Life.

The Artifact. Slicers. Guardians. Harvesters. Knives. Spire. Asgard. Blight. Ghosts. Earthquakes. War. Conquest. Destruction. Death. Revival.

A woman was falling to her death.

————
Afterword: apparently I’m incapable of making characters with simple names, so here’s how to pronounce her name:

Alitheia = “Al-lith-thay-uh”

Jedoi

Slicer
Chapter Two: The Day I Lived

The woman took the girl’s hand.

The feeling of falling suddenly stopped and they both hovered together, midair. The woman blinked, studying the girl.

She was young, maybe fourteen years of age, with deep brown, almond-shaped eyes. She had bronze skin and long hair the color of hickory that cascaded down her back. From under her hair poked long ears that ended in a sharp point. She wore an immaculate pink and white dress.

“I’ve got you, don’t worry.” The girl smiled.

“Is.. is this the afterlife?” The woman asked, her voice hoarse.

“No, you’re still alive. Barely.” She added quietly, frowning at the woman’s chest. She looked down, and saw the blood staining her robes. “But the good news is I caught you in time. What’s your name?”

The woman opened her mouth to answer, but realized she didn’t know. “Uhhh….”

The girl winced. “Ahh. Memory loss isn’t uncommon. Sorry about that.” She glanced up and down the woman’s body, where her eyes landed on her wrist. “Alitheia? Does that ring a bell?”

The woman furrowed her brow. “Maybe? I’m not sure.” She studied her own wrist. Sure enough, the word Alitheia was there, along with the symbol of a small flame above it. “I guess it’s close enough to a name.” She shrugged.

Alitheia.

“Well, Alitheia, you’re going to wake up in a moment in a different world. The magic there will heal your wounds. Unfortunately, you won’t remember this, or me, but you’ll be safe there.” She gave another comforting smile.

“What? Where? Why won’t I remember? Who are you?”

She gave a shrug. “It’s known as Loka, I’m not sure, and… just someone who helps out.”

“Do you have a name?”

The girl gave a wistful smile.

“Yeah. I’m Mairosa.”

———

Alitheia opened her eyes to the flickering torchlight, and immediately shut them, clutching her head. She groaned a bit as she sat up, and remembered the wound on her chest. She looked down. It was gone.

She was on some sort of old stone bridge overlooking a pool of water in a massive cavern. There were torches lining the bridge, which curved upwards, so Alitheia did what made the most sense and followed them, careful as to not fall into the dark water below. After a few minutes, she could see bright light reflecting off the stone walls of what appeared to be a final turn, and sure enough, stepped into the sunlight.

Blinking, she let her eyes adjust to the light and she scrutinized the scene. The cavern behind her was in the side of a mountain, which appeared to be apart of a larger mountain range going off mostly to the left. To the right, she could see a coast, and boats docked near a small village that the pathway in front of her led to.

With nothing to lose, she began to follow the path, setting off towards the village. Inside the cave, she was only able to hear the echo of her own footsteps and the gentle waves lapping against stone, but out here, the sounds were beginning to become too much. The seabirds cawing above her as they rode the whistling wind, the roar of the ocean and a nearby creek, bells coming from the village as she approached, and eventually, the sounds of voices.

Taking the final turn into the village, no one seemed to pay much mind to the woman wearing blood-stained robes. In fact, there were a few others with blood on their clothes. Alitheia winced. What kind of place was this?

“Welcome to Loka.” A small voice, behind her, said with a sigh. Alitheia turned.

The girl who had saved her, Mairosa, floated there about an inch of the ground, her form wispy and transparent. The woman blinked.

“I thought you said I wouldn’t remember you.” She said. Mairosa stared at her, dumbfounded.

“You… can you see me?!” She asked incredulously.

“Uhhhh, yes…? Am I not supposed to?” Alitheia furrowed her brow.

“Uhh… well, no one has until now. This is so exciting.”

“Are you a ghost?” The woman asked

“No. Ghosts are stupid. Always wandering around aimlessly.” She laughed.

“What are you, then?” Alitheia pressed.

“Well you wasted no time in getting into the existential questions.” The girl observed.

“You look ghostly.” The woman pointed out.

“Do I? Hmm. I suppose that makes sense. I’m not a ghost, though.”

Alitheia blinked. “Hang in, did you say ghosts are stupid?”

Mairosa shrugged. “Most are.”

“You say that like they’re real.”

“They are.” She grinned. “What’s next, are you going to say endermen aren’t real?”

“What in the nine Hells is an enderman?”

The girl laughed.

“Um… excuse me, Miss, who are you talking to?” Alitheia turned to the voice. It belonged to a woman with long black hair and blue eyes, wearing a crimson coat over a white blouse and a white and blue skirt.

Alitheia looked to Mairosa, who shrugged. “No one else can see or hear me, as far as I can tell.”

She looked back to the woman. “You can use telepathy to talk to your town members. Do you want me to show you how?” She asked kindly.

Alitheia blinked. “Uhh… town? Telepathy?” She asked hoarsely.

“Ahh.” The stranger smiled knowingly. “You’re a newcomer, huh?” Alitheia nodded. “Well, welcome to Loka. My name is Arc. Let me know if you need anything.”

“Uhh… Alitheia. Thank you.”

“She’s my cousin’s wife.” Mairosa mentioned, and Alitheia shut her eyes tightly as a pounding headache overtook her.

“Are you oka-” Both Mairosa and Arc began to ask but were interrupted by Alitheia.

“Arc, Queen of Anubis. Married to Kaph Alduin-Talongon, King of Anubis, Prince of Auru, Son of- of.. Tee? And Jedoi? And you’re… you’re the daughter of-” The words flowed from her painfully but began to subside, as she lost the train of thought she had been forced on. Both women stared at her.

“How did you know all that?” Mairosa demanded.

“I thought you said you were new here?” Arc asked, furrowing her brow.

Alitheia rubbed her forehead. “Some-someone told me. About… a couple of people.” She lied. Mairosa gave her a look.

“I… see. Well, my offer still stands if you need anything. Just let me know.”

Alitheia realised for the first time she was speaking to a Queen, and one who was offering her help. She gulped. “Thank you, uh, your majesty?” She gave an awkward bow.

Arc laughed a little. “It’s no problem. Just let me know.” She said again, and began to walk off.

Before she knew it, Mairosa was in her face. “What was that?!” She asked, a hint of both suspicion and excitement in her voice.

“I have no idea, but before I answer questions, you need to answer some too. I am so lost. What is going on?” She asked. Mairosa sighed.

“Follow me.” The transparent girl floated off a little ways from the town center, and gestured for her to sit on a nearby rock. Alitheia obliged.

“I’ll start at the beginning. A long time ago, there was a man named Asymptonic…”

PartayArc

Sentry
The girl winced. “Ahh. Memory loss isn’t uncommon. Sorry about that.” She glanced up and down the woman’s body, where her eyes landed on her wrist. “Alitheia? Does that ring a bell?”
So people figure out their names on Loka find out their names, bracelets? This story just gets better.

Last edited:

Jedoi

Slicer
So people figure out their names on Loka find out their names, bracelets? This story just gets better.
Some people lose their memories, others don’t.

Alitheia has a tattoo of her name and the symbol of her guild on her wrist. It’s a tradition among her people as these kinds of mages are prone to memory loss. (Think mad wizards/scientists)

“But the… the Seven Sages saved the day, right?” He asked, eyes shining a bit.

“Not… exactly. They saved the knowledge by using powerful old magic, but lost their minds in the process. That’s why all Keepers now have these.” She rolled up her sleeve to show off her wrist, where two tattoos sat proudly. The first, a simple flame, the symbol of the Keepers. The flame of knowledge cuts through the shadows of ignorance, their motto went. Underneath it, her name. Alitheia.

“We undertake great danger in the name of protecting Aeylon’s knowledge. Even if our minds and memories are lost to us, the flame of knowledge will lead us back home.” She explained, pride creeping into her voice. The children’s wide eyes shifted from fear to awe as she pulled her sleeve back down.
Jedoi got her name from a scrap of fabric found with her as an infant. It’s actually an Endrail call-sign, JEDOI. Her birth name was Mora, but she doesn’t know that.

Back