Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

this is for a college project, but say whatever

do you like it

• Total voters

Sir_Gother

“I,” one of the simplest words in the English dictionary. What would we do without any words in the first-person format? What kind of society would we live in without first-person pronouns, and how would we communicate without these terms? Even though we have these personal pronouns currently, with the limitations of the freedom of speech, more and more on the rise, we might be facing this book’s ideals in our own lives, our kin, their kin, and so on and so forth. Equality-2521, the protagonist of the novella, Anthem finds the white, cubical, lit box and shows it to the House of the Scolars, who disapprove of the cubical item because it was not made or thought of by society, so it was not a “good idea” and deemed “a danger to society” because the only light source before it was remade over 100 years ago, and since you can’t talk about the “unmentionable times,” and the elders know about it, yet do not talk or get ideas from these times.

The word or anything related to the word “I” has vanished from Anthem’s world from one of many reasons, one being the Collectivist society, there is no egoism, and the overall anxiety in this society is ruining itself. The protagonist, Equality 7-2521, or Prometheus, and his mate, Liberty 5-3000, or Gaea both free themselves from the collective society by trekking into the uncharted forest, which legend had it, nobody ventured back from that forest, yet in Prometheus’ and Gaea’s opinions, they can go back any time they want, but they want their own area to be themselves, and show their true emotions like they transferred these three words: “I love you,” which is extremely hard for the rest of the collective, because if they said anything along the lines of a personal pronoun, they would be put to death like “The Transgressor of the Unspeakable Word.” He or she showed their individualism by saying “I” in a sentence and is burned to death by the Palace of Corrective Detention. Equality 7-2521 did not want the same fate as this person, yet he knew that individualism is paramount, and he has been writing in his “journal” for more than four years as a street sweeper and eight years since seeing the death before his lifelong job. Through his adventures, he finds true that he is the best of his “brothers,” and he knows what is right, and what is wrong when his fellow men do not.

Jedoi

Slicer
Moved to Everything Else, as it wasn't really Loka related. Keep up the good work!

Back