Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

what is a Guardian, Elder, Old one

JocelynReed

Slicer
tell me about them

Are they just ranks?
How do they fit into the lore?
How do you view them?
What does a perfect Guardian, Elder, Old One look like?
What do they look like?
Where do they live?
Lore wise do they have special powers?

I am interested in what people think when they think about these ranks.

Lazuli73

Slicer
Guardian= God, all seeing, wise, knowledgeable, basically a protector.

Elder= Wiser then a guardian. More respected and all knowing.

Old One= Really really old. Like so old they will fall apart and crumble into dust if you breath in the vacinity of them.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
If Art sees this, he's been gathering information on this lately and could provide a pretty good lore breakdown of these.

Psychedelic98

Slicer
Gallazius said:
Ok, being the Lore master of the server for longer than most can remember. Ill say my part - agree or not its what i have talked with asy about many times.

The Guardians - are in fact sorcerers/wizards of great power who were sealed away for an unknown reason or perhaps put themselves in a "wizards sleep". This pertained to the original guardians before sentries and other guardians came about.

According to Asymptotic these original - that being the original four. DiabolicalMech, Mopb3, Gallazius, Magpieman were "kept within the three sisters upon awakening until their madness passed with help (asym)."
The guardians came to remember their powers but due to friendship/allegiance to asym chose to protect the realm. Asym (one of the first "slicers") retaught them new powers and how to use their previous for good. Indicating that anyone can learn/attain such powers with training by the guardians OR by delving into the shrines of the dark fell gods of old. (These people would be hackers).

Those who came after, that being "slicers" are from a different world (ours in future?) Old "original" Characters such as Memrme, Loloplane are likely members of the original groups of slicers. While newer (Skitch, Zor, etc) players could be other late comers or the descendants of the originals or even have been an original slicer but only recently came out of the woodwork.

So- Long story short

Asy - Original Slicer
4 original Guardians - Imprisoned and or sleeping originally part of the world
later guardians and sentries - Slicers who have become students of the older
Slicers - came into world as "originals" or are descendants of the originals (Not specific characters mind you)

JocelynReed

Slicer
tumblr_lxkiglU5be1qjp24go1_500.gif

tumblr_lsus45xZIN1qin5d0o1_500.gif

tumblr_inline_mfn9lfJz2s1rblw9h.gif

I kind of seeing being a guardian as being stuck between worlds, its isolating. I believe you lose a bit of your humanity when you become a guardian.

Psychedelic98

Slicer
JocelynReed said:
I kind of seeing being a guardian as being stuck between worlds, its isolating. I believe you lose a bit of your humanity when you become a guardian.
Hence, the Guardian curse. *looks at Joce*

JocelynReed

Slicer
Psychedelic98 said:
JocelynReed said:
Hence, the Guardian curse. *looks at Joce*

Awwwwwwwww you miss me!!!!
No denying it now Mr. Psy!

You miss me!

Besides I was on today...where were you?

Artagan

Slicer
In lore, the Guardians are four powerful wizards. There used to be five, and there are technically many others currently in enchanted sleep. I'll start from the beginning.

The origin of the Guardians is shrouded in mystery. The Guardians themselves remember little, and what little they remember of their past lives they have consistently refused to recount. We know that in the distant past, long before Asymptonic became stranded on the world of the Artifact, they existed in greater numbers as wicked sorcerers of terrible power. At some point, all of them passed into an enchanted sleep. They slept upright in chambers deep beneath the surface of the earth for eons.

The inner walls of those chambers were lined with runes and glyphs of power. Entombed along with the Guardians were various magical artifacts and treasures. Scattered throughout the world of the Artifact were ancient structures, believed to have been temples at one time, which had similar runes inscribed within them. These runes were later read by the Guardians after their awakening, and provided a glimpse of their past.

I digress. The first Guardian was DiabolicalMech. Asymptonic was exploring in the caves beneath the Three Sisters, and fell through an unstable floor into Diabolical's chamber. He managed to wake him, along with the second Guardian (who was sleeping in the very same chamber), mopb3. He nursed the pair of them back to health, and helped them discover their powers and recover from their sleep madness.

By this time, Slicers arriving in search of Asymp's research team had been building up thanks to the immortality provided by the Artifact, and had begun to group together and make rudimentary pastoral societies. While Asymp continued his vigil by the Three Sisters, the two Guardians acted as guides for these first civilizations. They used their powers to perform miracles, as well as teach them the ways of fire, metallurgy, cooking, herding, farming, etc.

In time, more Guardians were awoken. The third Guardian was Gallazius, and after him a number of Guardians were awoken unsuccessfully. That is to say, they did not survive the process due to the strain their bodies had undergone from their incredibly long sleep. These losses pained the first three Guardians, to the point that they were reluctant to attempt waking more, for fear of what would happen. Eventually, however, a fourth Guardian was successfully awoken, called Magpieman.

Here, I ought to give a brief bio of the Guardians now:

DiabolicalMech was the eldest of the Guardians, and the most mysterious. He was completely covered by a black cloak, so that only his eyes could be seen glowing beneath the edge of his hood. Over his shoulder he wore a multicolored sash, and was very tall and broad-shouldered. He was seen very rarely, but would occasionally appear to warn Slicers against dark magics.

mopb3, the second oldest, was the most involved in the affairs of the people. He took the form of a young boy. and personally created a number of the safe havens for the Slicers of that world. He was called Caretaker, or Protector.

Gallazius was the third Guardian, and his accumulated titles include the Midnight Sage, The Wanderer, the Lightning Mage, and the Weather Wizard. His chosen form was a dwarf with a flowing golden beard. He was prone to wandering and exploring the world, all the while guiding the people he encountered. (And while he's in this period of inactivity, I'm proud to act as Loremaster in his stead :D )

The fourth Guardian was Magpieman. He took the form of a man, wearing a crown and a flowing robe. Second only to mop in his active involvement in the affairs of Slicers, he later founded the kingdom of Hyrule and was actively sought after by the rulers of other kingdoms for his great wisdom.

Back to the history. The Guardians and Asymptonic met regularly, and whenever they considered waking another Guardian, they would always convene first and make the decision as a group. However, on the cusp of the First Age, Asymp woke a fifth and final Guardian without the consent of the previous four.

The fifth Guardian was called Syris. He was vastly greater in power than any of the previous four, rivaled only by Preksak and Asymptonic. He even demonstrated the ability to create matter from nothing, a feat only Asymptonic had previously demonstrated very sparingly. He took the form of a young man, very handsome, with flowing blue robes, a cape, and a tall pointed crown.

Syris was proud and haughty, styling himself the god of that world. He was a commanding leader and infinitely cunning, easily turning Slicers to his cause. At first, he was reluctantly accepted by his brothers, who resolved to keep a close eye on him. He gathered a large following to himself and used dark magics to raise a city for him and his disciples. He bound creatures from other realms to his service, and harnessed fel energies to further increase his own power. He taught his followers dark magic, and planted spies in the domains of his brothers.

His power was great enough to keep the existence of his stronghold secret from his brothers, until by chance it was discovered by Gallazius in his wandering. When he saw what Syris had done, he was horrified, and summoned DiabolicalMech, mopb3 and Magpieman. They cast Syris's followers into the Void, beyond the power of the Artifact, and smote the dark city to ashes. Finally, they confronted Syris together atop the tallest of the Three Sisters.

Syris commanded not only the power over nature and space afforded to him as a Guardian, but also the dark powers he had called to himself previously. This, combined with his natural talent for magic, made him more than a match for all four of his brothers. The battle was legendary, raging for four days and nights, the sky aflame and the earth quaking with exertion.

Finally, all four wizards combined their power to subdue Syris. They could not kill him, and so they brought him to a realm of fire and molten stone, where they bound him with silver chains of light forged in and out of time. There he remains, in eternal torment, until the end of all things.

After the defeat of Syris, the First Age dawned with the founding of the first true city, Church Town. Since then the Guardians have continued in their capacity as guides and teachers. After the defeat of Preksak and the exodus to Loka, some Guardians ascended to a higher form, now called Elders, in the crossover between worlds.

Old One is simply the title attributed to Asymptonic, nothing more.

Hope that helped.

Artagan

Slicer
Oh, forgot to mention. Other people besides those four with the rank "Guardian" on the server are described as being Slicers, or other creatures, who have simply learned good magics from the original four, or from Cryptite, the Warden of Asgard.

Also, the other Guardians still sleeping (including DiabolicalMech, who passed back into sleep after he grew weary of the world) are still in their chambers, transported from world to world by Gallazius.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Now that's the kind of stuff we need more of. Brilliant. Put that in the wiki.

Also, moved this to Lore. It belongs there more than anywhere else.

Back