Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

A Day In The Life

MasterAegon

Slicer
A Day in the Life

“Aggh…” he let out a groan as he sat the helmet on the table, “I swear we’re only slaves to the work of our ambitions…” Berenost finished his statement by promptly dropping his arse into a chair.

“Aye, that we are. That is the nature of Valyrians though.”Aegon rested in the chair opposite of his brother Knight.

The fire burned low in the hearth. Netherrack served as an invaluable tool for the cool nights in the capital.

“My gratitude for your joining this cause is immeasurable, Bear.”

“Baaghh, don’t get soft on me now old boy.” Berenost’sreply was succeeded by a long draw on his pipe. It made Aegonsmile that he took a hefty swallow of Golden Mead before exhaling.

“I believe we’ve both gotten soft in comparison to the Age of Dragons.” He threw a loaf of bread at Berenost. The old Knight tossed it back with a laugh. The mood seemed to darkenthough when Aegon addressed what they both already knew.

“There’s a darkness on the horizon, Bear…”

“I know, I know…”

“I’m not sure either of us really do…” Aegon’s interruption seemed to take him off guard. “I believe we all expect it but haven’t really digested what may be before us…”

Berenost squinted in thought and took another draw on the pipe.

“So tell me then, what are you thinking?” Aegon shifted in his seat before responding.

“This world is much like our former home and the Kingdoms of Old. Peace is a myth, told to pacify us and render us complacent.”

“You’re starting to sound like a certain Mad King.” He shook his head at the comment and continued.

“Think for a moment about the anarchistic events, of the thievery and murder. Think of the wars waged and grudges held, of the lies and betrayal…”

“Aye, it’s a shit world, what of it though?”

“We are now in a peaceful era, by comparison. Why..?”Berenost seemed to think on that for a moment.

“Perhaps the conflict has merely ended. Who is to say? War doesn’t last forever.”

“And neither does peace.”

Aegon’s final retort caused them both to consider the full scope of their conversation. Loka was in a perpetual cycle of conflict. This reality was always present in Aegon’s eyes.Berenost could see it better than most. He knew it was not just the hearthfire burning those purple gems.

“So this…this is why you’ve gone to such great lengths for these people. You believe a storm is on the horizon?”

It wasn’t a question so much as a statement of realization.

“No matter the circumstances, these are my brethren now, same as you. If we do not make sacrifices to ensure their safety,who will?” Berenost weight the question.

“So you’re to make this your goal?”

“With diligence.”

The two men sat for a moment that felt like ages. A silent conversation was the only thing on the table between them.Berenost had his answer in that moment.

“Right then. I suppose we continue to slave away!” His hearty laugh lightened the mood as they tipped their bottles of Mead.

Aegon knew he would be prepared with the support of his fellow knight. Comradery had a powerful effect in difficult times. He stared at the fire reflected through the bottle, contemplating the nature of the world by which he was so consumed.

The Vanguard Alliance will thrive. The voice still echoed in his ears.

From his periphery he saw a hooded figure in the window.Aegon stood abruptly and stared, knocking his bottle of Mead to the floor with a crash.

“What the bloody hell?? What’s wrong with yeh…??”

“Nothing…” he said with hesitation. It was already gone. “It was nothing.”

Back