Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Suggestion Antag Nations

longfellow4

Antag Nations in Loka
My suggestion is to include lore and gameplay changing antag (antagonist) towns into Loka for sprucing up the server and creating fun events the server can participate in. Much like the blight how it was lore entangled along with changing the course of the game, to Preksak and above, the goal is to establish numerous events that satisfy both lore and the game players of Loka.

So how exactly will this work?
Antag nations have the same properties of normal nations in Loka, with the same levels and special industries. The difference however, are Antag traits. Traits are things that set them apart, such as specially designed industries and radar appearances, to uniquely named weapons and architecture. It is highly dependent on what kind of antag rises, though these stay the same;
  • An antag nation, once destroyed to 0 strength, will be deleted - as it has been defeated.
  • On special cases, an antag nation will persevere.
  • They all have special traits and characteristics to set them apart from the normal Lokan town.

The way an antag nation plays into the Lokan world is by acting as an aggressor, a spoon (stirring stuff up), and a catalyst. They will be designed to mainly give change once things get stagnant, or just to provide some extra flavor to the server as a whole.

How will they be created?

We can do this multiple ways, either by application or selection. When an antag nation is in creation or about to be born - we can invite specific members, or allow them to "apply to become one of them". According to specific antags - they may spring up when certain criteria are met, for example:
  • One may rise when there has been too little conflict in the server
  • While on the flip, one that has
  • When a town gets too large/dwindles too much
  • When certain dangerous technologies or lore items are used (IE studying the tech of the ancients)

Examples:

Now to the real nitty gritty, is to decide what kind of antag nations may rise. Here are a list of possible events that could take place;
  • A lost group of refugees with much better technology than us come into Loka using the Ancients tech - and they demand we surrender to them.
  • A swarm of alien-like creatures spring from nowhere with the desire to make us into food.
  • The return of the Ancients! They wish for us to end our petty squabbles and align ourselves to their Enlightened Empire
  • A group of nomadic warriors combine to bring down the safe havens that are the towns of Loka
  • Dark beings of magic are spawned when technology and magic research go too far

Adara_

It's an interesting idea although... why would one join one of these nations? if they reach zero strength they disband... so why not just make an actual town and do all that stuff. You can already make your own custom named weapons and your own architecture. You could even use one of those ideas you posted for a town you could found. which is why I'm not sure this would add much for the player base or be worth the time it takes to code it. Why code something that people probably won't use because it's to risky & or they can already do it?

longfellow4

It's an interesting idea although... why would one join one of these nations? if they reach zero strength they disband... so why not just make an actual town and do all that stuff. You can already make your own custom named weapons and your own architecture. You could even use one of those ideas you posted for a town you could found. which is why I'm not sure this would add much for the player base or be worth the time it takes to code it. Why code something that people probably won't use because it's to risky & or they can already do it?

They are mainly for events, being temporary serving such. This allows people to join in on the antag nation if they want, have fun for a bit, then go back to their original towns.

Adara_

ok but antag nations will eventually get nowhere once people figure out how to farm strength of of them to lower them down to zero and wipe them out (i.e how with silverhand we let them take one territory and recapped it over and over so they would take a massive strength hit each time they lost the territory). And there is also the problem that alliance may see people who head to antag nations as traitors and persecute them once the antag nation falls.

longfellow4

ok but antag nations will eventually get nowhere once people figure out how to farm strength of of them to lower them down to zero and wipe them out (i.e how with silverhand we let them take one territory and recapped it over and over so they would take a massive strength hit each time they lost the territory). And there is also the problem that alliance may see people who head to antag nations as traitors and persecute them once the antag nation falls.

Highly possible, but its important to remember that antag nations would only be there to spruce up the server, nothing else.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
This is a neat idea for sure, but to what Adara said, there seems to be no real reason to have a system like this in Loka when virtually all of it save the "bad-guy designs for buildings" could be done by any town at any moment (and has been done by towns in the past). It also relies on RP which is equally up to the players. If an Antag town just acts like a normal town, then it's a normal town.

Further, if an Antag town had some success, I could see them being pretty upset if it could be terminated. It seems like a big risk for very little reward. I think there's something to this idea, but not really in the format of a unique set of town traits.

longfellow4

This is a neat idea for sure, but to what Adara said, there seems to be no real reason to have a system like this in Loka when virtually all of it save the "bad-guy designs for buildings" could be done by any town at any moment (and has been done by towns in the past). It also relies on RP which is equally up to the players. If an Antag town just acts like a normal town, then it's a normal town.

Further, if an Antag town had some success, I could see them being pretty upset if it could be terminated. It seems like a big risk for very little reward. I think there's something to this idea, but not really in the format of a unique set of town traits.

Possibly just have events then without the nations? I would love to take part or help create one. Just to change things up.

Back