Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Battlegrounds ranking system

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
Currently peoples position is based on number of kills. I think this encourages bad team play in matches. The aim of the game is to capture and hold points, not kills or kills to death ratio. What happens is players run after each other and fight rather than playing the objective. I am not sure how it registers who captures the point or whether neutralising a point counts. I suggest we either base the scoreboard on points captured, or even better, come up with a points system where capturing a point scores you 3 points, a kill gains you 1 point, and a death loses you 1 point, or something of a similar nature. We can keep all the stats, just have the leader board rankings based on this points system. This is not a huge problem, i just thought it would be a nice change, that would make battlegrounds even better.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
I can reorder that rankings page however I want, but because there are no plans to give titles for VotA at the moment when 1.6 ends, that ranking system is pretty much just aesthetic. This is a problem with a lot of ranking systems that attempt to rank players who are doing more than just deathmatch as there's always much debate as to how people value what they do in a pvp match. Some would say that yes, sure, capturing a point leads to a win. But others might say that their strategy of only running around the match killing takes pressure off those who are capping, so should only the people who run to a point and stand under it get more credit than those doing more of the actual fighting? It's a toughie.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
I agree killing players would have more of an impact if there was a re-spawn time or a longer run from the base but currently i feel killing players gains you little advantage when compared with capping points. Having said that i do agree with you that it is a tough one to find a solution to but taking all aspects of the battleground into consideration when determining ranks would certainly give a more accurate reading.

andrekeroxd

Slicer
Magpieman said:
...even better, come up with a points system where capturing a point scores you 3 points, a kill gains you 1 point, and a death loses you 1 point, or something of a similar nature. We can keep all the stats, just have the leader board rankings based on this points system. This is not a huge problem, i just thought it would be a nice change, that would make battlegrounds even better.

I like this.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
Magpieman said:
even better, come up with a points system where capturing a point scores you 3 points, a kill gains you 1 point, or something of a similar nature. We can keep all the stats, just have the leader board rankings based on this points system.

Can we update the score board to this.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Worth a try I suppose. Should also just make the VotA rankings sortable by each column.

Some thoughts:

-Not keen on negative points. We should probably just not do anything if you die. If we're gonna do points, I like the idea of how Battlefield (or similar such games) works in that you're awarded points for all kinds of things.
-Should we show your kills or your score score on the tab-list for the scoreboard?

Also, what other kinds of things could we change/add to VotA to make it more exciting?

Hornedbaron

Slicer
Cryptite said:
Also, what other kinds of things could we change/add to VotA to make it more exciting?

I love VotA the way it is at the moment, however I do think changes would be very nice, to give it a fresher feel, having played it quite a lot. I am not proposing we do anything to drastic to make it really fancy and complicated, but if I were to suggest anything at all, it would be the implementation of different 'weapons', like axes, with different enchantments, like knockback for example. I think it would give a wider scope of strategic playing and different methods of playing the gamemode. so...yeah :)

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
How would one acquire these items though? These kinds of things can fast make the game unbalanced, so I'm curious what your thoughts are.

Hornedbaron

Slicer
I wouldn't want to make this idea too similar to the ideas used in many of the 'mini-game' servers, where these sorts of things are purchased, so to make it possible, i guess they would have to have downfalls, like when you are using such an item, it gives you a slowness debuff or something. any broken, or overpowered items would be nerfed at a later date i guess.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
I still feel you should lose a point for each death as it can be detrimental to the team and would encourage people to play a bit more tactically rather than running in to try and get kills.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Magpieman said:
I still feel you should lose a point for each death as it can be detrimental to the team and would encourage people to play a bit more tactically rather than running in to try and get kills.

How would it be detrimental to the team though? Winning is about capturing points and holding them; player score doesn't factor in. It could also be noted that dying is because you're trying to defend a point and even doing so and dying may have bought your team time to either get reinforcements or hold off the other team getting points.

mopb3

Slicer
Cryptite said:
Magpieman said:

How would it be detrimental to the team though? Winning is about capturing points and holding them; player score doesn't factor in. It could also be noted that dying is because you're trying to defend a point and even doing so and dying may have bought your team time to either get reinforcements or hold off the other team getting points.
Aye this.

Deathstrider

Slicer
I know it'd be a lot of work but would we be able to implement another map/gamemode for teamed PvP (maybe Dominion from League?)

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Deathstrider said:
I know it'd be a lot of work but would we be able to implement another map/gamemode for teamed PvP (maybe Dominion from League?)

I do plan to implement another battleground in the future, but it most likely won't be like Dominion. It'll likely be larger than VotA and involve horses somehow. That's about all I know.

mopb3

Slicer
Cryptite said:
Deathstrider said:

I do plan to implement another battleground in the future, but it most likely won't be like Dominion. It'll likely be larger than VotA and involve horses somehow. That's about all I know.
*salivates*
Awh yes

Back