Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

BUD Switches

Zor95

Slicer
A number of BUD switches can be triggered regardless of whether you have permissions in the area by 'placing' blocks or just clicking on certain areas. Is it within the rules to use these when you do not have perms?

adderman500

Slicer
Was wondering when this would get asked. My thought is how would you build the bud switch in the first place? And as to whether it can be used or not, it probably depends on its use.

Zor95

Slicer
I mean that someone in the town has already built the BUD and someone from outside comes in and uses it. Perhaps it opens a door, a chest, whatever. Is it legal for the outsider to take advantage of the fact that they can trigger the BUD without perms?

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Zor95 said:
I mean that someone in the town has already built the BUD and someone from outside comes in and uses it. Perhaps it opens a door, a chest, whatever. Is it legal for the outsider to take advantage of the fact that they can trigger the BUD without perms?

It'll take some discussion but it sounds similar to just seeing a button or a lever on the wall which can be pressed/flipped.

Zor95

Slicer
In some cases to trigger the BUD without perms you have to 'place' a block which is immediately removed but still activates it. In other cases you can right-click it like a button or lever.

Artagan

Slicer
If you mean that the block you place in someone else's town where you don't have permissions will open the door or whatever before it disappears, that sounds like you're exploiting a bug, since you're not supposed to be able to place that block at all.

If it's just right clicking it, that seems fine.

adderman500

Slicer
That example is ridiculously situational. If that ever comes up as an issue I'll be amazed. Who in their right mind would use a BUD switch to give access to a chest or something they don't want others to reach?

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
adderman500 said:
Who in their right mind would use a BUD switch to give access to a chest or something they don't want others to reach?

Most minecraft players are unaware of BUDs or how they work. It's a pretty effective tool if it's not obvious.

Zor95

Slicer
Cryptite said:
adderman500 said:
Who in their right mind would use a BUD switch to give access to a chest or something they don't want others to reach?

Most minecraft players are unaware of BUDs or how they work. It's a pretty effective tool if it's not obvious.

Si, I use them often and have encountered them often in my adventures as a raider and Guardian. Any town with a redstoner will usually have at least a couple.

adderman500

Slicer
I'm amazed they're used to hide stuff. I've used em myself in grinders and gadgetry but I'd never think to use em for chests or hidden areas.

Back