Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Suggestion Capital Perks Brainstorming Thread

Psychedelic98

Slicer
Brainstorm here, post thoughts, ideas, concerns. Here's the list from the document.
- ‘x’ factions town gen costs 20% ‘more/less’ emeralds per day
- ‘x’ faction is embargoed from using the market
- Ender Pearls are ‘enabled/disabled’?
- Global industry xp is ‘increased/decreased’ 20% for ‘x’ industry
- Global ban of any trade on ‘X’ market stall
- Towns smaller than level 10 gain double xp on all industries
- Towns over level 20 have xp halved on all industries
- Global xp ‘buff/nerf’ 25%
- Mob difficulty change ‘Medium/Hard’
- Wearing diamond armour causes slowing?
- Diamond swords are as weak as wood?
- Only embassies in your faction function.
- All prowess gained is 50% more
- Industry buildings no longer function
- Global buff blocks break 2x faster?
- Global buff regen or protection?
- Pvp disabled within towns?
- Towns with a radius over 300 have their gen cost doubled
- Choose to start world project ‘x’ (where you put your resources towards it in the hope of getting a reward from being one of the top contributing civ.’s So theoretically we could do something similar where the capital chooses to say start a global project and every town could provide materials until the required goal is reached and then the faction which had contributed the most could get a bunch of emeralds and faction points or something. We could even have the added bonus of having a physical thing at the end of it like a world rail/road or spawn building etc)

Artagan

Slicer
We pretty much hashed out over Skype why many of these are either cruddy or OP, but I'll give my opinion on each of 'em here.

- ‘x’ factions town gen costs 20% ‘more/less’ emeralds per day

This could be neat. People might argue over the 20% number, but otherwise it's a cool idea that at least warrants discussion.

- ‘x’ faction is embargoed from using the market

This is kinda dumb. The market is cool and sort of useful, but it really doesn't hurt a town at all to deny it use of the market.

- Ender Pearls are ‘enabled/disabled’?

Oho, interesting. Only problem is, Crypt might not want pearls enabled at all. So it's hit or miss with this one.

- Global industry xp is ‘increased/decreased’ 20% for ‘x’ industry

Pretty much useless. Industries, like markets, are awesome, but buffing/nerfing any particular one won't really matter that much.

- Global ban of any trade on ‘X’ market stall

Completely pointless. People will just trade the items in that stall like they did before the market. Waste of a perk.

- Towns smaller than level 10 gain double xp on all industries

Could be neat, although I'm not sure why it's "Towns smaller than level 10". We want to encourage small towns, sure, but the big towns will whine about it and you ought to be able to do it for any town, regardless of size.

- Towns over level 20 have xp halved on all industries

That's neat and all, but anyone who does this will piss off all the big towns and get bulldozed. Also, just because we want small towns to crop up doesn't mean we want the big towns to leave.

- Global xp ‘buff/nerf’ 25%

Might be cool, but it's also kinda OP. It'll make enchanting way easier for everybody, so everybody will be making god armor. I guess that's a plus, but it seems somewhat against the spirit of Minecraft difficulty.

- Mob difficulty change ‘Medium/Hard’

This one's a slightly subtler change than the one above, so it doesn't worry me quite so much. Sure, sounds pretty cool. And I like the idea of having global buffs be an option, so it's possible to make the capital town more popular and prevent the other towns from wanting to dethrone you quite so ferociously.

- Wearing diamond armour causes slowing?

Not sure about this one. Could be neat (and more realistic, people wearing iron plate instead of armor made out of freaking diamonds) or it could just be kinda annoying. Maybe it needs a test drive.

- Diamond swords are as weak as wood?

Pretty much the same as the one above. Also, like Psy and I talked about, any capital town that did this will probably get a lot of enchanted iron swords up their bunghole.

- Only embassies in your faction function.

I'm not sure embassies are significant enough for this to matter. Maybe it'd be more of a blow if we had more established towns with multiple embassies in them. Still kinda wimpy compared to the others, though.

- All prowess gained is 50% more

My first thought when I read this one was that it'd be OP because the capital town would be flooded with prowess armor. However, pretty much everybody is already flooded with prowess armor, so maybe this one is alright.

- Industry buildings no longer function

Now this one isn't quite so bad. Shutting off industries for everyone actually will piss everyone off, even if they aren't that important to any particular town. The capital would be pretty stupid to do this, though, much like the other global debuffs.

- Global buff blocks break 2x faster?

Goes back into "making minecraft easier than it was intended to be" territory. If this is global, I'd go far as to say it'd compromise the integrity of the server. Now you can pretty much do anything you want in half the time.

- Global buff regen or protection?

Thought about this one for a bit. Could be interesting. Maybe it'd make people more confident and actually cause people to raid each other more. It'd make the game easier, for sure, but not in such an obvious way like the previous one.

- Pvp disabled within towns?

This one pretty much kills raiding, period. Even for just one town this'd be OP.

- Towns with a radius over 300 have their gen cost doubled

Again, we don't want to drive away big towns. Also, doubled? Jesus. That'd cripple a town.

- Choose to start world project ‘x’ (where you put your resources towards it in the hope of getting a reward from being one of the top contributing civ.’s So theoretically we could do something similar where the capital chooses to say start a global project and every town could provide materials until the required goal is reached and then the faction which had contributed the most could get a bunch of emeralds and faction points or something. We could even have the added bonus of having a physical thing at the end of it like a world rail/road or spawn building etc)

This one I'm on the fence about. We've talked in the past about not wanting to make any public server project too useful or too awesome, because we want towns to do those things.

It may take me awhile to come up with my own list of ideas, but worry not! I'll get to it, either tonight or tomorrow.

Leasaur

Slicer
I don't really see why perks are necessary at all, really. May seem stupid, but it would really suck if one town became Capital of Loka, then all their perks blew away the competition and they remained Capital of Loka forever.
Maybe they could just be all over the Loka website - that town gets a little star icon on the map, everyone in that town gets golden names in-game, they get to post pictures of llamas all over their town page. The title of being the winning town atm could be enough.

Zor95

Slicer
I'm not going to kill a bunch of people and wear down all my armor for a title.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
As some have noted, if you're not in true competition for Capital, the rewards for owning Territories aren't all that great. However, with Capital Policies being something the winning town can implement server-wide, it can motivate everybody on the server (and not just the towns who wish to participate) to keenly be aware of who is in line for the Capital.

Through these policies, the Capital Town has the ability to be good or bad thereby reigning or losing favor with the rest of the world (provided you are not in the Capital town's alliance). If you choose to implement punishing policies, you may find yourself with many more enemies and then you are forced to either maintain your territories or lose them.

It adds to the politics and makes Territories worth something. They're opt-in, sure, but the policies aren't. Of course the policies won't be so punishing as to make you want to quit Loka because, say, Fort Kickass becomes the capital, but they should stir some intrigue, politics, and action into the server.

So if you're sitting idly by while watching the territorial disputes, consider what (some) of these policies are and who you might think would implement them if they're capital. It may mean the difference between choosing a side or remaining neutral.

Also, the perks shouldn't be so powerful as to allow the Capital to remain capital because of policies alone. There's a reason the policies are more general to the Minecraft experience versus gaining extra Territory Points, etc.

Psychedelic98

Slicer
I'm not going to kill a bunch of people and wear down all my armor for a title.
This. A territory gen can wear out a set of prot IV unbreaking III easily. I went in with 2 other guys and by the end none of us had our original armor on. Considering the amount of combat that has been going on, the policies would have to be fairly powerful if territories are to be more than a novelty.

Leasaur

Slicer
This. A territory gen can wear out a set of prot IV unbreaking III easily. I went in with 2 other guys and by the end none of us had our original armor on. Considering the amount of combat that has been going on, the policies would have to be fairly powerful if territories are to be more than a novelty.
Fair enough then.
Also, the perks shouldn't be so powerful as to allow the Capital to remain capital because of policies alone. There's a reason the policies are more general to the Minecraft experience versus gaining extra Territory Points, etc.
This is what I am getting at.

Defgnww

Slicer
Serious policy idea: Policy makes all zombie pigmen always hostile in the nether.
Other not so serious policy: make all passive overworld mobs hostile.

EastBowmen

Slicer
Serious policy idea: Policy makes all zombie pigmen always hostile in the nether.
Other not so serious policy: make all passive overworld mobs hostile.
Not a big fan of the zombie pigmen idea. Would make the nether 10x more dangerous than it already is

EastBowmen

Slicer
I'm not afraid of dying in the nether since I have an abundant amount of fire resistant potions and gear but I feel this idea could be abused. People could easily make afk-able gold farms or exp farms if you made them always hostile. They would target you, run into a death trap and then you could easily collect the loot.

Back