Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Bug Cuttings logs in Town

Ajaxan

Slicer
So recently it has been changed so that even logs cut inside town borders are effected by the Arbor Day policy. The reason I call this a bug because I feel this works slightly differently than intended. I myself have been a big supporter of making it much more possible to create monopolies on resources. So my only real problem with this change is that now building with spruce is basically useless because if I ever decide to move something it turns into oak.

Despite my own push for more ability for monopolies on resources, unless there is a way to distinguish between logs placed by players and naturally generated logs, I believe this change should be reverted. Instead of allowing players to have monopolies on much wanted resources they now have monopolies on resources that basically no one else can even use because after a single placement they can never be moved again.

MasterAegon

Slicer
This is a good point. I believe a check can be implemented to differentiate between logs placed and naturally occurring logs. Crypt will confirm or deny for a fix.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Fortunately, provided my code was working, we have been tracking player placed logs this whole time. So let's find out if that's right because I agree on that point.

Should be in already so have a go at your houses and see if they're dropping spruce.

Ajaxan

Slicer
Yeah I was in town yesterday, and cut through a bit of spruce planning to replace it after passing through, but I got back two oak logs instead. The exact place I can't remember but it was in Auru along the Southern wall. Not the big tall ugly one raiders are forcing us to build but the pretty inner wall. This is the only part I've checked though because I'm reluctant to lose more of the base to the bug.

That wall and all the spruce for it were placed around a month ago, or maybe even a bit longer. Hopefully this info helps.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
There may be quite a few spruce logs placed that aren't tracked due to when they were placed vs all of the bug fixes that've happened with the system.

Newer placed logs should be tracked and should drop their proper stuff though, hopefully.

Ajaxan

Slicer
I'll test the newly placed logs when I get home, although I assume you already have. As for all our older placed logs, what can we do with them? Unfortunately, with raiding problems being pretty frequent its much easier for us to just break down and replace blocks instead of put in tons of doors that may or may not get closes again.

I just want to avoid losing the aesthetic of our base because we can't supply logs to replace all the ones we will lose.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
I'll test the newly placed logs when I get home, although I assume you already have. As for all our older placed logs, what can we do with them? Unfortunately, with raiding problems being pretty frequent its much easier for us to just break down and replace blocks instead of put in tons of doors that may or may not get closes again.

I just want to avoid losing the aesthetic of our base because we can't supply logs to replace all the ones we will lose.

I'm not sure much can be done about the old ones without me sort of scanning your town entirely for logs and ensuring in the DB.

As for raiding, placed logs should work to be broken as their same variant. If you're worried, just don't use logs I guess; virtually any other block would suffice.

Ajaxan

Slicer
Ah well. Some sacrifices must be made in pursing an even better system. In a few months time I doubt it'll even be a problem anymore.

Back