Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Suggestion Get rid of death messages

Artagan

Slicer
To add more realism to raids. When you kill someone irl it isn't announced to the entire world... at least until it makes the news. But that's the point.

Either don't get caught or do what you need to do before the server finds out.
Makes everything more... mysterious

An old but gold idea. No more death messages, allowing for stealthy murder and making active communication between town members necessary. Killing someone isn't always a "slain by" or "shot by" message. Sometimes it's pushing someone to their death, or breaking a block underneath them so they fall into a cactus farm, or what have you. Hence my proposal to get rid of all death messages, not just the direct murder ones. And, of course, it adds a note a realism which could add more depth to our ongoing server history.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
We already do filter out some death messages (dying in spawn, noob course, or two town members killing each other). Similarly when turn off notifications when players join/leave the server when we have over 15 players on (unless they're in your town/alliance).

I'm hesitant to completely turn them off just yet because, when there're few members on, a simple death message can start up some conversation which Loka is bereft of many times with all the channels that we have.

That said, when Loka grows in active members in a significant way we could certainly toggle death messages. I'm open to this either way; curious what more people think.

Ronshaud

Slicer
When you say to add more realism to "raids." Raiding has been dead for a while, and Art I've never really remembered you raiding someone. What makes you want to bring this up unless Crypt volunteers to bring raiding back. :p

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
When you say to add more realism to "raids." Raiding has been dead for a while, and Art I've never really remembered you raiding someone. What makes you want to bring this up unless Crypt volunteers to bring raiding back. :p

Raiding may be arguably dead, but murdering people isn't; this still happens frequently.

Ronshaud

Slicer
If possible, we could just make it to when you enter a towns protection and you kill a player, the death message doesn't appear.

Artagan

Slicer
Art I've never really remembered you raiding someone

I've raided quite a few people in my three years on Loka. Most of them have been Outlaws, however, and they don't usually broadcast that they've been raided. I have been, for the most part, content to indulge them.

Back