Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Hard Mode

mopb3

Slicer
I've no idea why it was turned on, we already established it was a bad idea a while ago for various reasons; such as people with laggy computers such as myself having the game hard enough already.

Zor95

Slicer
I think the votes were pretty evenly split. As with everything people will get used to it.

adderman500

Slicer
I hate it. If you have no armor, you will die overnight for certain. Of course, people who support hard mode like zor tend to have armor on nearly 100% of the time, but for those of us who are poorer this isnt possible. Skeles and spiders in particular are a massive pain in the ass.

mopb3

Slicer
I'm pretty opposed to it atm, just because I have a really rather lacking computer that doesn't seem to be able to get more than 15FPS

adderman500 said:
I hate it. If you have no armor, you will die overnight for certain. Of course, people who support hard mode like zor tend to have armor on nearly 100% of the time, but for those of us who are poorer this isnt possible. Skeles and spiders in particular are a massive pain in the ass.

Maybe I had a different experience, but in single player, if I was out at night, I'd die for certain too, throughout the entire history of MC. Dig a hole and wait until morning.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
If you were smart you could survive at night, but it was still hard. Without armor, on hardcore, three shots from a skeleton and you're gone. I think we might be pushing it on the 'hardcore' aspect. We're pretty nasty enough to each other as it is, and hardcore might ward off too many members. That is unless we're really pushing to have only the lowest-hanging-balls of the minecraft community.

mopb3

Slicer
Cryptite said:
If you were smart you could survive at night, but it was still hard. Without armor, on hardcore, three shots from a skeleton and you're gone. I think we might be pushing it on the 'hardcore' aspect. We're pretty nasty enough to each other as it is, and hardcore might ward off too many members. That is unless we're really pushing to have only the lowest-hanging-balls of the minecraft community.
Purely hardcore men like Toiongo, an image to strike fear into any heart :O

And yeah, we do all tend to be pretty damn nasty already so I agree this may just ward people off further.

Zor95

Slicer
I believe there was some discussion earlier this month about having a strip of the spawn zone where everyone could build. This area would be reset regularly and my own suggestion was to limit building to above diamond level. If this were to be implemented then it would allow newer players to gather resources and armor before facing the tide of mobs.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
My idea originally was to have an area surrounding spawn e.g. the next 100 blocks in all directions where it would be reset monthly to allow people to gather and also keep the area around spawn looking nice.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
I'd be ok with either Zor or Mag's ideas, honestly. The most important thing is making sure that the people heavily invested in these areas know they will reset, so anybody trying to set up a permanent home won't be suddenly very upset when it vanishes before their eyes. This would be easily accomplished by a worldguard zone message that changes daily to inform players when the next //regen will occur. Should we put it to a vote?

mopb3

Slicer
I like the sound of this idea, it would be nice for noobs to have stuff right off the boot. However diamonds might not be appropriate in case some of us capitalise on a constantly regenerating diamond source, which is close to the town portal. Iron and coal should be the only mine-able ores for this reason. Would this be possible?

Also i saw some of you talking about hardcore. That is a no go. End of.

mopb3

Slicer
mopb3 said:
I like the sound of this idea, it would be nice for noobs to have stuff right off the boot. However diamonds might not be appropriate in case some of us capitalise on a constantly regenerating diamond source, which is close to the town portal. Iron and coal should be the only mine-able ores for this reason. Would this be possible?

Also i saw some of you talking about hardcore. That is a no go. End of.

Sorry, this was written by adder. Accidentally left myself logged into mops account.

thelineguy

Slicer
To stop people like town owners capitalising on a constantly regenerating diamond source, perhaps we could have the area around spawn only available to wanderers, and have the permissions there taken away from settlers and up.

adderman500

Slicer
thelineguy said:
perhaps we could have the area around spawn only available to wanderers

Thats what i was getting at. Something like that would be perfect to get noobs started and to give them a remote chance of survival. I still think only iron tho, we dont want noobs getting richer than us... :p

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
Anyone who builds just outside spawn doesn't deserve for it to stay anyway, they are asking for it to get griefed. So a small area around spawn that gets reset will be fine.

mopb3

Slicer
That still only partially addresses the issue this topic was made to bring to light, Hard mode; Will anything be done are are we just going to leave this as it is?

My views on this are already well known.

Artagan

Slicer
Lol, I find it pretty funny that the people most apposed to hard mode are the ones living in cathedral. :p

But in all seriousness, this change does seriously favor those among us who wear their best enchants at all times and are practically swimming in diamonds, *looks pointedly at Zor*. It's not a serious problem, but it makes things that much more difficult for newbs and the few people who are actually normal.

thelineguy

Slicer
Artagan said:
Lol, I find it pretty funny that the people most apposed to hard mode are the ones living in cathedral. :p

I actually support the change to hard mode, because it keeps people on their toes.

Re: hard mode, I haven't heard anything other than hypothetical complaints about it, so it stays for now.

I like the strip of reset land around spawn, say between 400 and 600m from spawn. Not sure how to implement it though. I guess we could identify which chunks those are and delete them periodically, but it has to be compatible with a running server. Restricting mining is a little easier, I think that could be doable with our plugin or, if possible, worldediting out rare resources when the region regens.

Perhaps to avoid a sudden reset or server lag, we just regen that area cyclically, a few chunks at a time each day, so that over a period of time it resets, but you can also see it coming.

Back