Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

No Plans to Implement Increase Hopper Count for Towns

Zachary_N_Kaleno

Sentry
Community Rep
Why are hoppers regulated to such low numbers in towns? I mean it made sense when Loka was all one shard, but now, each continent is its own shard, so wouldn't it be able to take on an increased load for hoppers?

I'm requesting atleast a 150% increase to the max, maybe if possible 200% or 300%. After all, the previous count was based on one server, rather than the multiple shards Loka is now split into. (If I remember right, each continent has its own shard, Rivi and Balak share one, and the rest of the landmasses are clumped into another.) I see no reason now why it would slow the server as much.

mindblaster007

I’d like to see them boosted back to full speed rather than having more allowed. 90% sure it says on the /help gui that the change is to help performance.

Zachary_N_Kaleno

Sentry
Community Rep
I’d like to see them boosted back to full speed rather than having more allowed. 90% sure it says on the /help gui that the change is to help performance.
Even though there are now less hoppers per shard? I'd think it'd be able to take more a punch now than before. You can only punch someone with your bare fists for so long, but with boxing gloves and armor? For so much longer.

Skuhoo

Administrator
Staff member
Elder
Its a tradeoff. The more hoppers towns have the smaller the biggest fight without lag can be. We value supporting more players than giving towns more lanes on their autobrewer. Additionally, there's a lot more towns (and hoppers) now than before sharding.

An idea I've had in the past is to allow players to disable hoppers in a zone and have them count at a reduced rate towards the town's hopper cap. Things like autobrewers and autosmelters are inactive most of the time so there's no reason to keep ticking their hoppers.

mindblaster007

Its a tradeoff. The more hoppers towns have the smaller the biggest fight without lag can be. We value supporting more players than giving towns more lanes on their autobrewer. Additionally, there's a lot more towns (and hoppers) now than before sharding.

An idea I've had in the past is to allow players to disable hoppers in a zone and have them count at a reduced rate towards the town's hopper cap. Things like autobrewers and autosmelters are inactive most of the time so there's no reason to keep ticking their hoppers.
Is an alternative like this actively being talked about? I feel like this would be a good idea that would help performance regardless of whether or not changes to hopper count or speed are made.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Sharding was a long time ago. Ascalon still struggles a little bit with big player counts and a big chunk of that is still hoppers. Until such time as we do more sub-continental sharding for Towns and Fights, we cannot afford to raise hopper limits.

Wagle11

Sharding was a long time ago. Ascalon still struggles a little bit with big player counts and a big chunk of that is still hoppers. Until such time as we do more sub-continental sharding for Towns and Fights, we cannot afford to raise hopper limits.
Maybe raise hopper limit at a cost for towns like more upkeep or just a standard price like 1k per hopper over 500 or even certain materials this way it wont be increased by too much while towns that do struggle with it can pay for a bit more

Back