Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Jerbs

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Keen observers have noted no updates in awhile in Loka. This is two parts, one, I'm busy, two, Jobs.

I made a dumb choice by not fully thinking through the inevitable breadth that Jobs should encompass. I wrote them quickly to let town owners make quick and dirty jobs for new members to do and help player retention. Having not thought it through to the very obvious logical end, I've been stuck with revamping the way Jobs work (mostly backend stuff) in a big way because of how Jobs should really be.

How they should really be and will be soon (hopefully this weekend) is that anybody can make a job on the server for anybody else to do. This is in fact just as important, if not more so, than having towns have their own internal jobs. The concept of the reverse market is sort of the reason Jobs exist in a way; you make a request to get X and be willing to pay Y for it, rather than dump surplusses on the Market and hope they are bought.

Further, once all the types of Jobs are supported (kill quests, bounties, quest-chains, location-quests, etc) are all made, it's almost a "done feature". Players will have the tools to create as simple or as complicated a quest as they like. Should Jobs become hugely popular, I could very easily see a Job upvoting system so that quality jobs rise to the top rather than the inevitable trolly jobs that will likely appear.

Finally, because Jobs can have lore (either a simple description or an entire Written Book), it's certain that our exceedingly skilled Lore players will not only create "good" jobs but great ones, thereby creating a system of Questing that is 100% driven by players, and not forced to be made by Admins for Official Quests. This is huge and I think will be a great feature for the server to have. New players with not much to do will be able to visit the jobs board/NPC at spawn to see what they can do and what they'll get for doing it. This will be a great way for towns/players to create their own content for new players to consume.

Of course Towns can still do their own inside-quests, but because I wrote Jobs hastily, I'm stuck going back and writing it the way it should've been. Once jobs is out, I can start fixing bugs again that have been creeping up (and adding brand new ones).

Go Forth!

Jedoi

Slicer
Finally, because Jobs can have lore (either a simple description or an entire Written Book), it's certain that our exceedingly skilled Lore players will not only create "good" jobs but great ones, thereby creating a system of Questing that is 100% driven by players, and not forced to be made by Admins for Official Quests.
My time has come.

gabrosen

Slicer
Question, will you be able to choose the NPC's skin and name?

I'm really excited to start creating quests!

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Question, will you be able to choose the NPC's skin and name?

I'm really excited to start creating quests!

For now there will only be one NPC at spawn standing next to the Jobs Board. You'll be able to either accept a quest from the jobs board or bring up a GUI of all available jobs. the NPC, much like the town NPC will be who you both turn quests into as well as claim your escrow.

No plans for players to have control over their own NPCs or anything presently; that could get ugly.

Ajaxan

Slicer
You mentioned changed were almost entirely to the backend. Even so, should we expect our current jobs to become obsolete or will they still work with the new system in place?

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
You mentioned changed were almost entirely to the backend. Even so, should we expect our current jobs to become obsolete or will they still work with the new system in place?

They'll work with the new system but players' current job progress/accepted jobs may be reset.

Jedoi

Slicer
What about different NPC's for different types of jobs? One in the market for supplies/gathering, one in the library for lore quests, one in the forge place thingy for kill quests?

BorkMork

Slicer
I love lore, and the idea of creating jobs that can be filled with amazing creation sounds amazing. So can't wait, Crypt.

getfugu

Slicer
This feels like the best place to suggest minor tweaks for jobs.

I would like to be able to disable the coordinates displayed for travel jobs. The option should probably be on by default, but being able to disable that would be great. The reason is if anyone wanted to create puzzly or lore-based "quests" using the job system, and they want to give a cool riddle that alludes to a location, the "go to X Y Z in World" defeats that quite a bit.

gabrosen

Slicer

I would like to be able to disable the coordinates displayed for travel jobs. The option should probably be on by default, but being able to disable that would be great. The reason is if anyone wanted to create puzzly or lore-based "quests" using the job system, and they want to give a cool riddle that alludes to a location, the "go to X Y Z in World" defeats that quite a bit.
This is an amazing Idea!

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder

I suppose it should be noted, that (unless there's a bug), only you (the job creator, or if it's a town job, all people with the relevant position) can see the coords of a travel job.

Back