Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Nether generators and portals

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
I feel there should be no generators in the nether as it prevents movement in the nether due to it being so much smaller than the above world. However despite this i am not a fan of people portaling into towns from the nether. I would like a solution to prevent this or hear peoples views on whether it should be allowed. I feel portals appearing in someones town is griefing.

Zor95

Slicer
Portaling into a town is very difficult and can be prevented if the town members are smart. As we saw in Hyrule if you try to portal in at multiple locations the old portals will be deleted leaving only 1 to clean up, so that isn't a problem either. I also remember you saying that destroying a nether portal is not griefing so how could creating one be griefing? And building tnt cannons inside protection? It's for entry after all.

If you're worried about 1.4 then wait until we're a month or more into the snapshots. I'm sure a lot will change.

adderman500

Slicer
In my opinion, as long as you limit the radius of your generator to something really small like 100 or less if you really want, it hardly limits movement at all. If the generator borders someone elses nether property, thats fine, just make sure they are OK with it. Those are my thoughts anyway.

Zor95

Slicer
How about...

A special nether only generator that has a very limited range and costs more per block than the surface gen?

Psychedelic98

Slicer
Zor95 said:
How about...

A special nether only generator that has a very limited range and costs more per block than the surface gen?
Another idea would be to allow generators in the overworld to cover their respective areas in the nether(automatically or for an additional fee?)

K

KenuDragonfire

Or, if you make a nether gen, you make a path that easily goes around it. Not through, around.

mopb3

Slicer
KenuDragonfire said:
Or, if you make a nether gen, you make a path that easily goes around it. Not through, around.
That seems fair, but hard to regulate perhaps

K

KenuDragonfire

Do it, or Mag deletes your gen. And puts signs at spawn detailing how to get to your gen. And if none of that teaches you a lesson... your entire town is world edited into lava.

Zor95

Slicer
scaled.php

13scooter13

Slicer
well i personaly am for nether gens. All the people in Hc travel from different parts in of town through 5 different nether portals all going to different places. So far in the past week I experianced a couple different griefers destroying my underground netherwart garden and alot of my wall that protects it all. None of it was from a ghast due to the outside is all made from cobble. So rather than call a admin over for greif, we would greatly love to have a nether gen instead. :)

JocelynReed

Slicer
I am completely for Nether Gen...Hidden Caverns has a Nether portal Hub....sadly we are also less then 50 blocks from the spawn portal. This means that every noob who joins the server and checks out nether has easy access to come grief our portal Hub. I know this to be true because the area has already been griefed several times.

Our portal Hub in Nether is about 30 blocks big. To be honest a gen protecting just that super small area is good enough for me. I am not interested in building a large town or anything there...I just want our hub protected

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
As well as possibly adding nether gens, what do people think if preventing new players from entering the nether.

adderman500

Slicer
I like the idea of nether generators, and would love a town portal to be incorporated as well. Since most people will use it like HC will, to protect a nether hub, i think no more than 100 blocks of available protection is necessary, probably more like 50-75

Zor95

Slicer
adderman500 said:
I like the idea of nether generators, and would love a town portal to be incorporated as well. Since most people will use it like HC will, to protect a nether hub, i think no more than 100 blocks of available protection is necessary, probably more like 50-75

I see it being used for blaze grinders.

JocelynReed

Slicer
If a decision is made in favor of this HC will have a gen ready within the day.....till then we await your answer o wise ones :cool:

Back