Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Next Battleground Theme

What biome/theme should the CTF BG have?

• Desert

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Jungle

• Plains

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Savannah

• Ice

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Forest

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
No guarantees for when the next BG will release, but the mode will certainly be Capture the Flag. That said, for a CTF map, what biome would you like to see?

And just for the record, current battlegrounds (excluding Overload, which will most likely be replaced by this new one) include VotA with a Forest Biome (so to speak) and Vale of Conquest which includes Mesa/Desert/Savannah/Jungle.

Aside from Biomes, also feel free to suggest and discuss themes for the map.

Last edited:

pi314159

First, when someone has the other teams flag, will they still be able to fight, or do they have to run the flag back with no real offensive/defensive abilities other than punching?

Personally I think it makes for a better game if you don't have the ability to fight when running the flag, because then returning the flag requires more teamwork as your team must provide defense for you.

Second, is the map going to be mirrored for the two teams? It seems like that would be most fair, though it does look a little weird. It's something I've noticed with VotA that it's not mirrored and so different teams have better access to different points.

Third, how will flag stealing work? Do you just enter an area and then you have the flag, do you have to break a block symbolizing the flag, or do you have to take an item representing the flag out of a chest or something?

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Given the numbers of bg players we usually have, I'm not sure we can justify gimping the flag carrier. That said, I don't think 2v2 is a fair CTF size, so the minimum for this new battleground would likely be 3v3.

The map would be mostly mirrored. Mirrored in the sense that there is some overall symmetry, but not like 100% symmetry.

Third, the way Overload works, the power source can be seen as being like a flag, in that it's an item that simply lays on the ground. We can do some things like sparks or other particle effects that help show where it is if it's dropped and nobody is necessarily immediately nearby. Further, when you carry the flag, there'll be some visual indicator as such, be it particles or something.

So, yeah, there'll be an 'item'. Capture the Ender Eye or something like that.

pi314159

Yeah, but if one person can just run, grab the flag, and then run back out killing everyone with no problem, that's not really a fair game :|

Maybe give them slow or weakness at some level? Then they wouldn't be as able to just solo everything, but it wouldn't be quite as bad as making them completely unable to fight.

pi314159

Not on all of them, and that's actually really overpowered if anyone on the other team is a half-decent archer.

Zor95

Slicer
With talents there is, realistically, not any other way to kill someone who doesn't want to be killed.

Zor95

Slicer
If someone with the flag just chooses to run away how can you kill them? There are so many talents you can use to survive and escape. Unless someone chooses to stand and fight (such as capturing points or defending a base) then it is extremely difficult to kill them.

Unless you disable talents for whoever holds the flag?

Psychedelic98

Slicer
If someone with the flag just chooses to run away how can you kill them? There are so many talents you can use to survive and escape. Unless someone chooses to stand and fight (such as capturing points or defending a base) then it is extremely difficult to kill them.

Unless you disable talents for whoever holds the flag?
If there are enough obstacles (forests, hills, rivers, etc), then catching a flag carrier shouldn't be too hard. Even though there are talents that can be used to escape, there are arguably more that either allow you to slow the carrier or speed yourself up to catch the carrier.

Zor95

Slicer
If there are enough obstacles (forests, hills, rivers, etc), then catching a flag carrier shouldn't be too hard. Even though there are talents that can be used to escape, there are arguably more that either allow you to slow the carrier or speed yourself up to catch the carrier.

That doesn't seem to be the case in VoC.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
There's been some thoughts about them, in part we were just going to do nothing and see what happens.

Other thoughts that were thrown around though:
  • Carriers take more damage
  • or are slower
  • or any Movement based talents when carrying are like 50-75% as effective.
And then there's the very realistic probability that introducing a CTF BG will cause some talents to be adjusted/created/destroyed. Additionally, new game modes mean people begin to think of talents in ways they haven't needed to necessarily use them yet. Using an explosive arrow and shooting it in front of the FC in order to knock him back the direction he's going, for one. Using the Ender Charge or a Frost Trap to lay a trap at the entrance to a base or flag in order to disrupt an easy capture, etc.

But certainly until such time as we have consistently large games, the FC certainly needs to be able to defend himself and have talents. Whether they're 100% effective, however, will take some testing.

As for obstacles, there'll surely be some in the map, but not many. I think a more open-world map would be fun, but I do envision a river, bridge or two, maybe other water areas, probably the bases will have a turn or two in them.

I'll try my very best not to just completely copy Warsong Gulch.

Ronshaud

Slicer
I have an idea.. Why not make it a multi biome CTF game? Part of it is Ice, Part forest, etc.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
I have an idea.. Why not make it a multi biome CTF game? Part of it is Ice, Part forest, etc.

Inherent imbalance. There could be pieces of the map with variations, but having one side as ice and one as forest leads to some terrain and friction imbalances.

pi314159

I don't really like the idea of multiple biomes, but I do see how it could be done. If you were to divide the map in half and layer biomes in a forest, ice, forest fashion or some such, so that both sides experienced the same biomes at the same distance from their spawn, it'd be fairer.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
I think similar biomes, but nothing vastly different. Savannah to desert, Forest to Roofed forest, etc. Ice and Fire, not so much.

Back