Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Nostalgia

FatPoulet

Slicer
I sent this massage to "Asymptomatic" (I actually never took the time to read his name properly so that's how I recall it by memory):

"I write to you today because I feel nostalgic. Nostalgic sick. In my head was running around that crazy idea that you might just be the one to make that nostalgia go away... the good way. You are the one who made the server that I enjoyed the most in minecraft and that will never change. I wanted to know if you still had the old map, with the old terrain of beta 1.3, before the new terrain generation came. Or at least, if you know what was the seed used.

Because I plan using the program MCnostalgia to downgrade minecraft to 1.3 and go visit all the old locations we used to play in. From my first 4x6 planks home stuck below a tree in the side of a small dirt hill, to CoreyP27's mountain hideout... all the way to my first town with him and all the good souvenirs.

I hope I did not make a fool of myself asking all of this and I certainly hope you will reply soon.

With love,

Fatpoulet"

Anybody knows what was the seed used? And as I am new here I don't know if Asymp is very active... any insight?

Edit: Anybody remembers this: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/167 ... ery-world/ ?

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
asymptonic* (with a lower case 'a')

I will have a chat with him about the old map and discuss his plans for it.

mopb3

Slicer
adderman500 said:
Alternatively, get a portal to the old world so that we can all explore it together
Yeah you know, that sounds like a good idea. The kind of idea that we may have perhaps discussed before, and should be implemented....

K

KenuDragonfire

Can the server handle having two worlds on it, with both of them going out to distances 8k+, and with plenty of people on them?

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Based on my rudimentary understanding on how minecraft servers work, there's no difference to having 8 people on one world in 8 separate spots (separate enough so that they're not sharing loaded chunks) and having two sets of 4 people on two different worlds. AFAIK, all the server does differently is pull from a different set of chunk files; so I don't really think there' would be any performance hit to it.

andrekeroxd

Slicer
Cryptite said:
Based on my rudimentary understanding on how minecraft servers work, there's no difference to having 8 people on one world in 8 separate spots (separate enough so that they're not sharing loaded chunks) and having two sets of 4 people on two different worlds. AFAIK, all the server does differently is pull from a different set of chunk files; so I don't really think there' would be any performance hit to it.

If that is the case, then I hope that some time in the near future, this happens :3

adderman500

Slicer
andrekeroxd said:
Cryptite said:

If that is the case, then I hope that some time in the near future, this happens :3

FatPoulet

Slicer
His name, that's how I recall it, so thats how I spelled it ... but ok I fucked up his name bad :lol:

And I don't think the old terrain generation can be implemented anymore, correct me if I am wrong. What I noticed is when I joined back at the last few days of the old world before changing to this one is the terrain generation overlapped, erased, or whatever where I built with Coreyp27 and Syris71 and other friends. We went there and all there was was a boring snow biome, completely virgin. I remember the old terrain generation and its random awesomeness, what we found there was the new boring gen.

I don't understand, when the word went from old gen to new gen all chunks that were not saved got replaced? Did we have to ask asym because I might have missed the opportunity back then.

FatPoulet

Slicer
Anyway, anybody knows what the seed of the old map is?

TheArtifact ?

ThreeSisters ?

Slicer ?

Any ideas? :p

Zor95

Slicer
There is no seed of the old map unfortunately. It went through so many versions that the seed is nothing but a random bunch of numbers. A long time ago I asked Asymp if he had the seed of map he uploaded that became Artifact, but he didn't have that either.

FatPoulet

Slicer
Oh my, the perfect untouchable secret world. Impossible to reach anymore. Impossible to remake. A pure marvel created by time itself.

The only way now is if asym has a saved version of the map and has all the old chunks belonging to 1.3_01

thelineguy

Slicer
FatPoulet said:
Oh my, the perfect untouchable secret world. Impossible to reach anymore. Impossible to remake. A pure marvel created by time itself.

The only way now is if asym has a saved version of the map and has all the old chunks belonging to 1.3_01
He'd better

mopb3

Slicer
thelineguy said:
FatPoulet said:

He'd better
He does

FatPoulet

Slicer
mopb3 said:
thelineguy said:
FatPoulet said:

He'd better
He does

*Mind blown*

Back