Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

PvP Prowess

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
The time is coming soon for a system of PvP currency that can be used to buy things. This system of currency will be called Prowess.

Prowess will be, similar to balances on other servers, an item-less currency that is specific to you and cannot be stolen by others, etc. You will be able to view your Prowess in the /pvp menu once available.

The purpose of this thread is to announce the feature and discuss how the currency is proposed to work. This is open for discussion so we can narrow down some of the features and numbers.

The idea for Prowess is to give people who largely prefer PvP over building/trading/etc an equal chance to succeed on Loka. Currently PvP is a niche system that is largely for fun that does not help to further players in any way. Much like the Market enables people who prefer agriculture, for example, to succeed in getting paid for their work, PvP should enable people to acquire something in reward for their effort and skill.

The proposed system of Prowess will enable you to buy things including but surely not limited to:
  • Diamond Gear
  • Diamond Tools
  • Emeralds
  • Levels/Experience
  • Enchanted Books

As for earning Prowess, you will be able to earn it through any of Loka's PvP systems: Arenas, Battlegrounds, and most likely a first-time boost for the Proving Grounds, etc.

The proposed numbers are something like the following:

Battlegrounds
  • A BG Win: 40 prowess.
  • A BG Loss: 20 prowess.
Arenas
  • A 1v1 win: 10 prowess
  • A 1v1 loss: 5 prowess.
  • A 2v2 win: 15 prowess
  • A 2v2 loss: 7 prowess

Pricing for items is currently the debate. Here's a proposed breakdown for the cost of diamond gear:

Diamond Gear Pricing
  • Boots: 50
  • Leggings: 75
  • Chestpiece: 100
  • Helmet: 60

Levels
This will work a little different. It was suggested that buying levels will be somewhat personalized per person. Based on a given value of, say, 8 prowess per level (sub 16 level - read about levels and their curve here), you will be presented with the option to buy level 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, etc. /pvp will do the math for you given your current level and then you will pay a certain amount of prowess to get to that level.

Discuss!

mopb3

Slicer
I'm not much of a fan of this idea to be honest, the PvP stuff we have thus far is a farcry from our vanilla intentions, but it's alright, because it's self-contained and doesn't have much of an effect on the main server, this would change if you could buy gear for the regular world, with achievements from the PvP world.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
mopb3 said:
I'm not much of a fan of this idea to be honest, the PvP stuff we have thus far is a farcry from our vanilla intentions, but it's alright, because it's self-contained and doesn't have much of an effect on the main server, this would change if you could buy gear for the regular world, with achievements from the PvP world.

I agree with the fact that it's another move from vanilla, but I think we all know that we've been moving from vanilla for some time now (honestly since Towns). The idea for Prowess is that it allows people to succeed on Loka however they'd like, and not just in the vanilla way. Despite adding this, I would still venture to say it would be more effective to acquire diamond stuff the vanilla way; this just enables people who enjoy PvP to gain from it in some way but not in a way that gives PvPers an imbalanced advantage over others.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
As of now, earning prowess is implemented. All Rated Arena and Battleground matches will award you prowess per the OP Listings. The prowess purchasing page is currently being written.

mopb3

Slicer
Cryptite said:
I agree with the fact that it's another move from vanilla, but I think we all know that we've been moving from vanilla for some time now (honestly since Towns). The idea for Prowess is that it allows people to succeed on Loka however they'd like, and not just in the vanilla way. Despite adding this, I would still venture to say it would be more effective to acquire diamond stuff the vanilla way; this just enables people who enjoy PvP to gain from it in some way but not in a way that gives PvPers an imbalanced advantage over others.
If we can get a rough estimate on how long it takes a new guy mining with iron tools to get enough diamonds for the kit, and then base the prestige points earned per match on some fraction of that, I think the whole idea is fair enough.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Levels 10, 20, and 30 can now be bought with Prowess. If you are above those levels, the items to buy the levels will not show for you.

Back