Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Regarding The New TGen Tower Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skuhoo

Administrator
Staff member
Elder
This post is in reference to this new rule change: Link

The new set of rules regarding the placement of conquest structures is poorly though out.

Take a look at some of Amanita's tower placements:
m2BCSho.jpg

wx3alUQ.jpg

Amanita benefits from being able to place their towers on natural pillars due to their mountainous terrain. I think the clever use of their terrain is awesome and is something that should be encouraged. Currently this tower placement is allowed.

Now here's some of our towers that prompted the creation of the new rules:
9CxDkjG.jpg

KjBisBY.jpg

Eldritch inhabits an island in the Sunset Isles, which has flat terrain that does not allow us to place towers in a similar fashion to Amanita. Instead, we opted for placing some of our towers on 6 block tall pillars. This makes it more difficult for attacks to destroy the tower, just like Amanita's tower placement makes it more difficult for attackers to destroy their towers. For a few of the towers we removed the pillar and made a pit below, leaving the tower floating. Nothing stops an attacker from building a staircase or using enderpearls to destroy the tower or escape from the pit. The removal of floating towers is understandable, but why should towers on pillars be made against the rules? What if we terraformed a hill around the pillar? It's unclear from the new rules whether that would still be in violation.

On the subject of conquest, why are these arbitrary rules being added restricting tower placement and not the giant boxes some attackers are placing around attack towers? These boxes neutralize the tower without destroying it and are way more against the spirit of conquest than 6 block tall pillars.

Overall, it's pretty clear that changes need to be made to conquest rules, but rushing out a list of new restrictions without thinking is not the way to go about it.

Last edited:

Skuhoo

Administrator
Staff member
Elder
I would only consider that a benefit of the location of their town.

You're right. With the introduction of this rule mountainous terrain is a huge benefit for towns like Amanita, but Eldritch was founded long before this rule existed. I'm not sure it's fair to punish towns for not knowing about rule changes months into the future.

Last edited:

DualBall

I agree; this rule definitely wasn't well thought out. I remember my first battle (against Hilo), and I remember seeing a TNT tower totally blocked by dirt. In fact, ALL of the towers were blocked by dirt. I personally would've liked to learn about what these towers did in this battle, but I never even got to see them in action. I think that allowing this is not only unbalanced (especially in comparison to the previous tower placement rules, which were fine IMO), but it hinders a new player's ability to learn vital combat mechanics. Not to mention, it makes battles much less engaging.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
Just an fyi we are going to be preventing the cheesing of of tnt towers by placing dirt around them. There will be a different solution to that by preventing the placement of blocks around the tower.

DualBall

Just an fyi we are going to be preventing the cheesing of of tnt towers by placing dirt around them. There will be a different solution to that by preventing the placement of blocks around the tower.
Thank goodness. But I still think that there should be more to the existing tgen rule. Maybe you could place a limit of how high from the original terrain a tgen tower could be?

Ajaxan

Slicer
Just a comment from an outsider, but why is placing dirt around the towers that big a deal? If you know a T-gen fight is coming up, shouldn't you do recon to make sure your towers are operational? If not, then go remove the dirt. I'm aware that they could be waiting to ambush you but who is really going to sit around the entire time it takes a T-gen to go online?

I know this goes against what everyone in the thread is saying, but despite whether they are used against me or not, creative tactics for getting an edge in battle should be encouraged, not removed.

Also, the counter example, if you place your tower up on a pillar (I agree that floating T-Gens shoulnd't exist), it may become harder to attack but it also can be harder to defend. I'm not a big PvPer but these are just some of the thoughts I've had on the subject.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
There are a couple issues with how it currently works, aside from the fact that it's ugly and completely disables a tower. Mainly, until one of the most recent updates, the 'battle zone' of a fight wasn't active until the Inhib came on. This means that anybody who died before the inhib activated would drop their things. As a result, players of the caliber of Eastbowmen and 13lackpearl/Northbowmen would build the boxes, then stay in the area (confident there wasn't anybody on that would challenge them in a fight) and nobody would come to check the area out for fear of dying and dropping their gear.

In an actual battle, there's enough going on that attempting to take down the blocks around the tower was too difficult.

We have some changes coming to Conquest which are fairly drastic and solve virtually all of these problems and then some. We're still working a few things out before we announce, but it'll be a slight doozy, but well received overall I'll wager.

Skuhoo

Administrator
Staff member
Elder
We have some changes coming to Conquest which are fairly drastic and solve virtually all of these problems and then some. We're still working a few things out before we announce, but it'll be a slight doozy, but well received overall I'll wager.

Are you referring to fixing just the boxes or do you also have a solution to my main point regarding towers on pillars as well?

EastBowmen

Slicer
There are a couple issues with how it currently works, aside from the fact that it's ugly and completely disables a tower. Mainly, until one of the most recent updates, the 'battle zone' of a fight wasn't active until the Inhib came on. This means that anybody who died before the inhib activated would drop their things. As a result, players of the caliber of Eastbowmen and 13lackpearl/Northbowmen would build the boxes, then stay in the area (confident there wasn't anybody on that would challenge them in a fight) and nobody would come to check the area out for fear of dying and dropping their gear.
High five, brother Pearl.

adderman500

Slicer
While I can see cause for your concerns and might currently consider various terrain types to be an advantage during a fight, we're working on content that will give a real boost to flat terrain types due to their clear lines of sight :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back