Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Runaway Prince

Jedoi

Slicer
This a very special piece of lore to me. I attempted the use of a different narrative style, one that I think is much better read aloud, so that's exactly what I did. Below is this lore store, "Runaway Prince," read aloud! I've included the actual story as well if you'd like to follow along, or just not listen to me lol. Anyways, here goes.

From the highest point of the Spire, and by extension the highest point in Auru, one could mistake the second oldest Kalrosian - and Lokan - town for being alive. And no one could judge those who make this mistake, as from this high point, you couldn’t see people. You only see the buildings, the walls, the docked ships, the farms stretched out beside the lake, all that was left, a remnant of a once-great town. Once you get closer, down on the streets, you realise that the reason you cannot see people from up there is because you cannot see people down here, either.

Now, when I say “alive,” I must admit that the second oldest Kalrosian - and Lokan - town was indeed not yet dead, but close enough that the term “alive” isn’t exactly proper. Therefore, from here on out we shall refer to Auru as “Alive-ish,” as that’s at least more optimistic than “Dead-ish.” But, both terms have at least in common that they’re describing something that is fully, solidly, and unarguably not dead, which is quite different from being dead. When someone or something is dead, that’s it. Their story is ended. But when something is not dead, it’s not over.

This is what Jedoi Alduin-Talongon, High Queen of Auru was pondering, sitting on the highest point of the Spire with her feet dangling off the edge when a voice called out behind her.

“Mother, I’m home.” Jedoi looked over her shoulder to see Thanius Ronshaud Alduin-Talongon, offering her a weary smile. The smile you give someone when you’re not sure whether they’re going to yell at you or hug you. The smile was appropriate, however, as either of those things were equally possible. You see, Thanius was Jedoi’s son, and Auru’s Runaway Prince, who had not been back in the town of his birth for many years, instead favoring to roam the southern continent. Neither of those things happened, however, as the Queen of Auru merely sighed.

“Hey, Thani, it’s good to see you.” She said, turning her body to face him. He nodded and sat beside her, and they looked out over the city.

“Father said you’d be up here.” He mentioned, gaze captivated by the flickering lights of the street lanterns below. “He also said Auru is having a rebirth. That’s wonderful news.”

Jedoi took a deep breath and let it out, as if trying to blow out a candle that was on the moon. “That’s what I wanted to do…” She began, and sighed. “But now I’m wondering if it’s not just a better idea to abandon her. Auru has grown old, and I with her. Being here, seeing this empty city is just… sad. Look at all the buildings. Abandoned and empty. I just don’t know what to do! Ugh!” In a not-so-clever moment for frustration, she punched the wood beneath her as hard as she could. Thanius grimace.

“Did that help?” He asked.

“Yes.” She replied, despite the fact that it did not help.

“Did that hurt?” He pressed.

“”No.” She answered, despite the fact that did indeed hurt. She cradled her hand for a moment before turning to her son, who had looked back down at the city.

“I think what you need is some remodeling.” He said, finally facing her.

“You think so?” She asked.

“I do. It would take care of that feeling you described… the empty buildings. What if we get rid of them? Get rid of the bad memories.” He explained.

“Some of them have very, very good memories too..” Jedoi murmured, lost in thought.

“Then you tell me which ones I can remodel and which I can’t touch. After all, what good is having an architect for a son if he can’t help his parents?” He grinned.

Jedoi offered him a warm smile in return. “Thanius, Architect of Auru’s Future?”

He shook his head. “Thanius, Auru’s Runaway Prince.”

Back