Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

/seen

Artagan

Slicer
In chat today the subject came up about restrictions on the use of /seen, for sentries specifically. Derp came on, asked me when psy had last been on. I had been on for awhile and remembered that Psy had been on bout two hours previous, and I did a /seen on him and saw he had been offline for just over an hour and fourty minutes. I told as much to derp, and jocelyn told me that I ought not to hand out information gained using /seen.

I told her that I already knew when psy had been off. I also told her that, to my knowledge, there wasn't anything wrong with me using the command this way. On skype and through other mediums we toss around people's stone counts and when they were last online all the time, and I said as much. When I first became a sentry I asked mag about using /seen, /rx and /spawn, and he said that as long as I didn't use /spawn to get out of a pvp situation or otherwise use commands to exploit anything or anyone, I was fine. I didn't say that exactly, but I tried to get across that mag had said I could use /seen as I was. Jocelyn maintained that I should not give information I got using admin commands, that it was benefiting one player over another outside of my own town and that it was a way of abusing my powers.

It's a valid concern, and jocelyn seemed reluctant to post it, so I shall. Who is correct? What sort of restrictions exist on giving information gained from using /seen and /rx? Post yo thoughts.

Jedoi

Slicer
I think you should maybe be only to give players' /seen to like, town members or something. Like, when you /seen ed Cookie for Derp it was okay, but not Psy to Derp. Or, you know what I mean. So, if you have to /seen Psy you can't tell anyone but the people who live in his town. Because a town member is not gonna use that info against a fellow town member. Well, probably. This is Loka after all. Maybe in some towns it may not be a problem. Like in Talongon. Teamwork and friendship and loyalty is what we live by. :) But, you get what I'm saying.

JocelynReed

Slicer
Artagan said:
In chat today the subject came up about restrictions on the use of /seen, for sentries specifically. Derp came on, asked me when psy had last been on. I had been on for awhile and remembered that Psy had been on bout two hours previous, and I did a /seen on him and saw he had been offline for just over an hour and fourty minutes. I told as much to derp, and jocelyn told me that I ought not to hand out information gained using /seen.

I told her that I already knew when psy had been off. I also told her that, to my knowledge, there wasn't anything wrong with me using the command this way. On skype and through other mediums we toss around people's stone counts and when they were last online all the time, and I said as much. When I first became a sentry I asked mag about using /seen, /rx and /spawn, and he said that as long as I didn't use /spawn to get out of a pvp situation or otherwise use commands to exploit anything or anyone, I was fine. I didn't say that exactly, but I tried to get across that mag had said I could use /seen as I was. Jocelyn maintained that I should not give information I got using admin commands, that it was benefiting one player over another outside of my own town and that it was a way of abusing my powers.

It's a valid concern, and jocelyn seemed reluctant to post it, so I shall. Who is correct? What sort of restrictions exist on giving information gained from using /seen and /rx? Post yo thoughts.

1. I believe players are entitled to some level of privacy
2. I believe we have admin powers to protect the server and players from (hackers, xray, spam, and general rule breakers)
3. If you are an admin in your hometown then it is fair game.../tp /rx /seen to your hearts delight

However I am against giving out player information gained by commands that are not for the protection of the server or within a hometown.

Psy and Derp are not friends....therefore giving derp any of psy's info (which could only be known by using a command) is wrong in my book. However, friends or not..I would think you should have to get psy's permission before giving out his info.

I see this much the same as using /rx for theft outside your hometown.

and I wasn't reluctant to post this..I just had no desire too.

adderman500

Slicer
There shouldn't have been an issue anyway, since you had seen him 2 hours previous anyway without needing to use your commands. Also, what difference does it make whether you know when someone last logged out? What "advantage" would that give derp over psy?

There is no sentry command that can be used to gain an advantage over another player, because sentrys can still PvP. The rules concerning admin commands used to give advantages could only be used in cases of guardian+ powers - for example if a guardian teleported to a raider who was heading to his town and widely broadcasted this fact.

Zor95

Slicer
I suppose if you were organizing a raiding party and needed to know when your victims had last been online or when their typical playing times are you could use /seen and gain an advantage there. But it's not that hard to ask around. It's a little more suspicious, but we don't trust each other anyways :p

Psychedelic98

Slicer
adderman500 said:
What "advantage" would that give derp over psy?
Let's go with a hypothetical. Derp is online, sorting items in his vault. He has to log off for dinner. After dinner he logs on and sees that someone cannoned in. He didn't see me online either time that day, so he asks for my /seen data. Many people are very willing to give him this information, because not everyone on loka is my friend. Through the data he can see that either I'm a very likely candidate or that it's impossible for me to have done it. This is just one example, I can pump them out all day.

mopb3

Slicer
I was gonna type out a thing, but just, what Mag said to you Art is correct. That'll do.

adderman500

Slicer
Thats pretty damn hypothetical. Also, as zor said, it isnt hard to just ask around for when a player has been on, and asking for /seen info is actually fairly rare. Also if you'd finished the raid, why would it matter if he knew it had been you that did it? You're often a go-to guy to blame for raids, especially if theyre well executed.

Psychedelic98

Slicer
Asking around for when a player was last online is fine, the answers would be a lot less reliable and tbh not very many people talk to derp. It's one thing if Josh comes online asking for the last time Hip was online. It's reasonable for those two to look for each other with intentions other than raiding. But derp and I are not on friendly terms. It's not even remotely reasonable to believe that derp was asking when I was last online with good intentions.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Seen isn't exactly a game-changing command by any means, but in my opinion, sentries do need to keep seen information to themselves in most cases unless it's within-town or between two players that are friendlies. Just one of those common-sense use commands if you ask me.

Thieflord304

Slicer
Cryptite said:
Seen isn't exactly a game-changing command by any means, but in my opinion, sentries do need to keep seen information to themselves in most cases unless it's within-town or between two players that are friendlies. Just one of those common-sense use commands if you ask me.
And thus it has been decided, and mostly everyone's words have been crushed by the Mighty Cryptite.

adderman500

Slicer
Thieflord304 said:
And thus it has been decided, and mostly everyone's words have been crushed by the Mighty Cryptite.
He's saying information obtained from the command should be kept to the sentry only - hence agreeing with everyone's words....

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
Honestly this entire thread is extremely petty. /seen cannot be abused. Just seems silly to me.

Psychedelic98

Slicer
hqdefault.jpg

Back