Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Slicer Nominations

Obstinance

I'm not really sure if anybody actually understands the meaning of Slicer rank.

Slicer isn't something you nominate someone for just because you like them and they're your friend.

Being popular doesn't and shouldn't get you slicer, it's the good players that frequently help in the community that deserve and get the rank.
The Slicer role is just a respected member of the community, somebody who the higher ups believe represents what Loka is trying to embody. Therefore the little things I list below should be some qualities the people who are nominated should have.

Helping new players and welcoming them, answering their questions, showing them around is what has built the slicers we have today, mostly. Also not just helping new players but also helping Loka behind the scenes by participating in discussions and giving helpful bug reports or feedback, building, hosting player events and so much more. I'm not saying you need to do all that for the slicer rank but doing at least one or two of them often is more like it. Seeing a bunch of people who rarely ever greet a new player or rarely even speak in chat to help someone, let alone report a bug or comment on forums or even contribute to the server in anyway except playing at all keep getting nominated by their friends. Not only that but full groups or towns piggyback on these nominations to make it look like a lot of people support it, they might support it, but if it's a false nomination and not deserved it's purely a waste of time and almost destructive to the Loka community.

However, I'm sure the staff that decide who these ranks are given to surely know who to choose and who not to choose. But electing people just because they're your friend and you like them isn't what this is supposed to be about. Slicer is also a gateway to higher staff positions and being able to further guide players.

This isn't just happening with slicer, it happens with ban appeals and other applications. People who shouldn't be pardoned getting a lot of support from their friends just so it looks like they deserve it.

I feel these kind of actions should stop, elect people for any position because they deserve it and can bring good change the Loka, not because they're your favourite person.

(I am fully aware I fit don't fit the qualities for any rank higher than settler, I am saying this because it happens so often and is concerning to mine and others future lokan experience)

P.S. Of course being nice is a good quality for slicer but it also isn't everything. Also if you feel this was directed at you, it's not. I took a break from reading forums and looked again yesterday and saw the same issue from what I skimmed through, that's all.

Last edited:

koi0001

Guardian
Well said, I believe there's a lot to be said for people who help the community and for people who are just generally pleasant, neither of us are in any place to say what should make a slicer or what doesn't but I wholeheartedly agree with the idea that slicer nominations based off personal relationships with players are null.

I'm not saying you shouldn't nominate your friend, I'm just saying you should try to be unbiased and it can appear as if sometimes people put forward the names of other people for the sake of putting them forward

Obstinance

Well said, I believe there's a lot to be said for people who help the community and for people who are just generally pleasant, neither of us are in any place to say what should make a slicer or what doesn't but I wholeheartedly agree with the idea that slicer nominations based off personal relationships with players are null.

I'm not saying you shouldn't nominate your friend, I'm just saying you should try to be unbiased and it can appear as if sometimes people put forward the names of other people for the sake of putting them forward

Yeah, that's basically what I was trying to say. I'm not the best at explaining myself.

catfishjw

Slicer
If you wanna prove a point you don’t have to write a freaking bible :( so many words. (Jk good sermon)

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
It can actually hurt you to nominate people for Slicer for no other reason that you like them and they're your friend; especially if that nominee embodies next to no elements of a Slicer. It has certainly figured into Mag and I's deliberations in the past. We also pay close attention to who gives support for otherwise "Bad Players", which also is something we keep in mind in the future.

Something to think about.

NovaSolux

I don't agree with andre on alot of things, I'll tell you that.
But i agree with him on this.

I'm not fit for slicer, But well said andre.

mindblaster007

Except I have seen people with multiple accounts on you and keep doing things after being warned. I feel a Slicer is a kind and notable player who is has very little toxicity and can be a nice new face for people to be greeted by when they first come to Loka.
All I ever do is help people out on Loka and I'm always asking new players if i can teach them...

ModernMozart1787

All I ever do is help people out on Loka and I'm always asking new players if i can teach them...
Like that time when you tried to make a new player give you his stuff? Whether or not you can bring that to mind, I can (No, I'm not talking about my little brother, before you say I'm holding grudges. I have forgiven you for that.)

Obstinance

Lmao so if @Obstinance's views on Slicer are correct I should have had Slicer a long time ago...

I'm pretty sure you have a lengthy wrap sheet and you seem quite egotistical so no what I said does not mean you should have slicer. Not to mention you have to be nominated. However this post wasn't made to argue who should have slicer, it's for people to take a look at before they go ahead and nominate someone.

mindblaster007

Like that time when you tried to make a new player give you his stuff? Whether or not you can bring that to mind, I can (No, I'm not talking about my little brother, before you say I'm holding grudges. I have forgiven you for that.)
I recall that situation... afterwards I loaded then with gear I raided.

Unallowed

Slicer
I do agree on the point that people do tend to use their alliance and or close friends to falsely attempt to gain a higher role and or power. However, it is more of a player's opinion on said person and what they see from a person to +1 an application. If a person from the alliance or a friend does give proper information and or evidence of the said player being an active member in the community and attempting to help new people, I think they shouldn't just look down upon that +1 just because they have close relations. (I don't know whether or not this was how you were wording it, just taking off how I read it)

I also want to point out the fact that it will also be an alliance member or a friend who know of a person's actions only to a certain extent. A lot of player interaction, greeting, and participation happens inside of Alliance based discords and or alliance / town chat itself. Close friends also may know about these interactions from hearing it from calls or chats on discords (Not saying only discord just my personal example).

Obstinance

I do agree on the point that people do tend to use their alliance and or close friends to falsely attempt to gain a higher role and or power. However, it is more of a player's opinion on said person and what they see from a person to +1 an application. If a person from the alliance or a friend does give proper information and or evidence of the said player being an active member in the community and attempting to help new people, I think they shouldn't just look down upon that +1 just because they have close relations. (I don't know whether or not this was how you were wording it, just taking off how I read it)

I also want to point out the fact that it will also be an alliance member or a friend who know of a person's actions only to a certain extent. A lot of player interaction, greeting, and participation happens inside of Alliance based discords and or alliance / town chat itself. Close friends also may know about these interactions from hearing it from calls or chats on discords (Not saying only discord just my personal example).

Yes, being helpful to an alliance member is completely different from being helpful to the community as a whole. I reply to my town/alliance members all the time but I usually don't if someone is asking questions in public chat.

Steak__

Yes, being helpful to an alliance member is completely different from being helpful to the community as a whole. I reply to my town/alliance members all the time but I usually don't if someone is asking questions in public chat.

i agree

Unallowed

Slicer

Slicer does not necessarily have to be a public chat only based application. Yes, it does mean you have to welcome new players, and help them with any questions they do have. However, It is also about people who are respected by people in the community. It does not specifically state that you must only be helpful in public chat, Sure you must help if someone asks for help, but that isn't the only way to get slicer. You have to be active in the community, play regularly, leading towns, and recruit new players.

I think that doing a couple of the things said above is still helpful to the community as a whole. Just because you help in an alliance doesn't mean you aren't helping the community as a whole

Obstinance

Slicer does not necessarily have to be a public chat only based application. Yes, it does mean you have to welcome new players, and help them with any questions they do have. However, It is also about people who are respected by people in the community. It does not specifically state that you must only be helpful in public chat, Sure you must help if someone asks for help, but that isn't the only way to get slicer. You have to be active in the community, play regularly, leading towns, and recruit new players.

I think that doing a couple of the things said above is still helpful to the community as a whole. Just because you help in an alliance doesn't mean you aren't helping the community as a whole

That's exactly what it means, you're helping the players that benefit you instead of anyone. As for recruiting players, nova is a perfect example that recruiting people doesn't get you slicer. Solely being active isn't enough either. You need the public things in conjunction with what you said to be any sort of material for it, yes it doesn't say it specifically but that's also where common sense comes in. Being helpful not just to town or alliance members but others is a common factor in every slicer. You perfectly described a settler. Being helpful to your teammates, being active and recruiting for your town is what a settler does. Slicer goes beyond that and extends to everyone. Also I never said it was a public only based application, I figured it was common sense that most people acknowledge their team and not everyone does the same for anybody they aren't associated with directly. Correct me if I'm wrong but nobody acknowledges everyone in public chat and completely ignores their teammates.

In conclusion people who get slicer go beyond just helping their allies. Yes it's not just about helping people who aren't, but it's about both.

This post wasn't just about slicer for the record if people want to read what I said again, slicers are just the most common application.

Last edited:
Back