Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

/suicide command

Artagan

Slicer
I got to talking with a few people on the server today, and I found some agreement in the sentiment that one of our server commands, /suicide, is rather overused and takes away from any sense of realism or immersion, and ought to be removed. For non-admin ranks, it's become something of a crude /spawn, despite the availability of creepers and 2 or more deep pools of water. And, it makes little to no sense. People in german prisons during the third riech walked around with no laces in their shoes, because otherwise they would hang themselves with them. Because of measures like that, they had no way of killing themselves, even though it was technically *possible* for them to bang their head against the wall until their brains stopped working. The reason for that is simple; people aren't brave enough to use their own body to end their own life. And they certainly wouldn't do it for convenience, to transport themselves someplace they could easily walk to. Also, if people couldn't just spontaneously kill themselves with no physical explanation, it would allow for more interesting scenarios on the server, like people being ransomed or kept prisoner for long periods of time.

EDIT: Not talking about the holocaust, actually a reference to prisoners of war in WWII.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Despite the very out of place holocaust analogy, I have to agree in part. I do think /suicide should be allowable in two places: the slicer training course intro and the spawn protected area in loka. People will always manage to get stuck in holes and caves, and if they're truly unable to get out due to block protection, /suicide is a viable method to get out. Outside of the spawn protection, however, I think it's fair not to be able to suicide.

mopb3

Slicer
Sorry to shoot this one down but the command is entirely necessary as I can say for sure we will see a shooting up of people just left in generator protected rooms with no way to get out and no way to kill themselves.

When the suicide command wasn't working a while ago I had to rescue three people out of said circumstances in that short time :/

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Are you saying people are intentionally walling themselves into generator rooms so they can knowingly /suicide? If so, that's no argument for keeping imo. As long as we give a few days heads up that we're turning it off they should be able to adjust. We ought not to keep a feature that's cause for laziness just because a small percentage of derps are walling themselves in somehow.

I agree it should be disabled except during the slicer course. In other situations admins should be able in some way to work people out of a tough situation, either tp or /smite. Completely agree outside of those cases though. I'm pretty much opposed to any non-vanilla transportation for non-admins except town portals.

mopb3

Slicer
Cryptite said:
Are you saying people are intentionally walling themselves into generator rooms so they can knowingly /suicide? If so, that's no argument for keeping imo. As long as we give a few days heads up that we're turning it off they should be able to adjust. We ought not to keep a feature that's cause for laziness just because a small percentage of derps are walling themselves in somehow.
Sorry, must not have made it clear, people are being trapped in generator protected rooms by others and then being kept there with no way at all to suicide or teleport out.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Then that is an entirely viable means of jailing by others. Since we're on hardmode now, they'll die of hunger though; so inevitably there is a way out. Otherwise there's usually at least one admin most of the times these days it seems, so they can help. I do think we should keep suicide on in the protected spawn area. Easy enough to do as a flag in worldguard.

adderman500

Slicer
Cryptite said:
there's usually at least one admin most of the times these days it seems
Not true. But with regards to the /suicide command - i think it should be banned, your point about dying of hunger is a valid one, and provided they jump for around 5 mins they should be dead by then. Perhaps people could put a means of dying in their generator rooms as a precaution to this change? a 2 deep pool of water for example would be a good idea for every generator room.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
I still don't understand why people are logging out in generator rooms or getting themselves walled in at any point. We all managed not to do this before when we didn't have /suicide.

Zor95

Slicer
Yes I am wondering how so many people lack the intelligence to not walk into a situation where it is quite obvious they will be trapped. I do support the removal of /suicide though, as I've always wanted to random off Artagan for a new puppy.

mopb3

Slicer
Zor95 said:
Yes I am wondering how so many people lack the intelligence to not walk into a situation where it is quite obvious they will be trapped.
*CoughJeff'sHouseCough*

In regards to this, by all means get rid of the command, I hadn't thought of dying from hunger.

Zor95

Slicer
Not to thread hijack... this is somewhat related..

There has been a suggestion and some support to completely remove death messages. Not only to prevent spam but to make pvp and raids more realistic.

mopb3

Slicer
Zor95 said:
Not to thread hijack... this is somewhat related..

There has been a suggestion and some support to completely remove death messages. Not only to prevent spam but to make pvp and raids more realistic.
How abouts that, but with a message to the person that kills that they have indeed, killed someone, just so they can either make sure or screenshot it for moar glory.

And keep natural death messages, they do no harm.

Zor95

Slicer
mopb3 said:
And keep natural death messages, they do no harm.

They do provide a nice lol, but I don't think you can turn pvp off and keep pve on.

13scooter13

Slicer
I agree on the no /suicide thing. Multiple times I have seen it being spamed. We all have right? Really people are just lazy. Multiple times I have trapped someone (not even to kill i could have let them free) just to get some questions answered, and they kill themselves... It is really annoying. So yes anyways. I am pro no suicide. Its bad for your health anyways. :p lol

K

KenuDragonfire

Well... guests at least should get it. i.e. the holes around spawn, the holes in spawn, the holes above spawn, and the Slicer course.

Artagan

Slicer
KenuDragonfire said:
Well... guests at least should get it. i.e. the holes around spawn, the holes in spawn, the holes above spawn, and the Slicer course.

The holes around spawn now have ladders, and the slicer course kills you with radiation.

Back