Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

The Gero Desert

EpicBacon99

Slicer
Alright, here goes a little story I just wrote.

It was a cold and quite dreary day in Loka the morning I stumbled upon the ruins of the haunted wasteland of the Gero desert. It was the day of a planned expedition to find treasure in some mine’s I’d discovered while strolling on the hillside. I got dressed, packed my bag and stepped outside. The cold air stung my throat and the fog was very thick and dense. I’d briefly proposed the thought that I should stay inside today and go on my expedition tomorrow, but just as quickly brushed it off. The fog gave me even more of a sense of adventure. It would be challenging to find my way through it, to the mine site that I had poorly marked, unknowing that the weather would take such a turn today. But I liked a challenge.

I set off from the warmth of my home and began to hum a tune from a book very dear to me. “The road goes ever, on and on. Down from the door where it began, now far ahead the road is gone and I will follow it if I can.” It was a very calming tune; it helped diffuse the sense eeriness I got from the fog. I know it sounds very stereotypical to say but this fog was off. It seemed to have shown up from nowhere. It hadn’t rained the night before and it wasn’t humid outside. Why was it here? In any case, I was nearing the spot that I determined was the entrance to the mine. I couldn’t tell whether it was or not, it all looked the same in the thick greyness that surrounded it. I took a deep breath and walked in and saw a large cavernous interior.

I was stunned; I’d never seen a cave so vast within only a few steps from the entrance. Minutes passed as I delved deeper and deeper into the cave encountering plenty of enemies along the way. This made me very appreciative of the enchanted diamond sword I had brought along with me. Visibility got lower and lower with every step I took and but a few moments later, I was in complete darkness. I pulled out one of the few stacks of torches I had brought with me and placed it down. It was extremely odd. It was if the cave had condensed tenfold within the time I’d placed the torch. Nevertheless I was there to get treasure, and that’s what I intended to do so I paid no attention to the walls that seemed to enclose upon me.

I went even deeper, and it just seemed to get even more claustrophobic, almost inconceivably so due to the openness I’d experienced earlier. There it was. A vein of diamonds like none other I’d ever seen. I must say I was quite overjoyed when I’d come upon such a treasure, because this was enough to send me packing happily. I wanted out of that cave. It had felt off since the second I’d walked in. I thought about the oddity of the cave while mining the vein. About half way through my stomach dropped to the floor. There were no ores other than this throughout the entirety of the cave.

I was out quite a ways, and I was sure that no one had come here yet. It was impossible. There were no signs of other mining anywhere throughout the cave. I booked it out of there as fast as I could. I’d made it about a third of the way through the cave when I came to a dead end. The way up was gone. I went to grab my pickaxe but it was gone. I’d lost my pickaxe. How had I lost my pickaxe?! The feeling of terror crept up upon me as the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. I turned around after I’d heard what I thought was footsteps. There were no player name tags from where I’d came, deeper in the cave but that did not put me at ease whatsoever. It’s after I began descending back into the cave that I noticed a seemingly man made tunnel that I hadn’t noticed on the way down. I had no other option but to follow it.

I began walking down the two by two tunnel, completely narrow with no twists and turns as images of Herobrine and distorted Enderman filled my head. What’s worse is that it was completely void of light. I couldn’t see my own hand right in front of my face. After what felt like hours of walking I reached what was the end of the tunnel and appeared in a round room with a long staircase upstairs with the sound of harsh winds blowing at the top. I dashed up the stairs, unknowing what waited for me at the top. I just wanted out of that cave. I emerged into a desert in what seemed to be an endless sand storm with visibility worse than in the fog. I didn’t know what to do so I began walking forward.

I felt hopeless. I felt as if I would become one of the many in fairy tales that lost his way in an evil desert never to return. It put me at ease to know that I would at least become an example for others not to tread in such an area, or share the same fate as I. I saw something large off in the distance. It was colossal in size, and the storm seemed to begin to break so I kept trudging forward. Soon I was upon the structure and the storm had completely broken.

I was thankful to be alive, and unburied by sand. This colossal structure seemed to serve as some sort of temple. I refused to step inside, due to the fact that temples such as these are usually built by extremists of a religion. Who knows what religion this temple could be devoted to? Maybe a cult of cannibals waiting to ensnare their pray once they foolishly step foot into the temple. But then it crossed my mind that maybe the temple was abandoned and there were small remnants of food and water inside. I still had some food left over but not enough to escape the desert. At that moment an old woman emerged from the temple.

She began talking to me; her voice was soft and calming. “Hello, dearie” she said. “It seems you’ve happened upon The Temple of Veran.” “Do not worry, I mean you no harm. You see, I’m the only one who lives in this temple anymore.” “Come in, come in you look exhausted. Rightfully so, not many can find their way through the haunted wastelands of the Gero desert.” I didn’t know what the Gero desert was, nor who Veran was but this offer seemed all too tempting.
I went inside and the temple was extremely comfortable looking, much more so than the crude stone outside. She showed me to a room with a lovely looking bed. I said that I was more tired than I was hungry and that I’d decided to rest right now. She simply nodded her head in understanding and walked away. I lay down in the bed without even taking off my clothes and fell right asleep.

I woke up, hoping this was all an extremely vivid nightmare and that I would be in my own bed, ready to take on the day. My hopes were crushed when I saw the walls of the Temple of Veran surrounding me. I opened my door and went to the central room where the old woman had a very nice looking breakfast laid out upon the table for me. I scarfed it down quickly, I was famished. I decided to not waste any time getting back to trekking the desert so I grabbed my gear and told the nice old woman I was heading out. She said goodbye to me, and then the temple doors shut with a thud.

I walked down the steps and back into the wasteland where the storm still raged, but not quite as heavily as the day before. I followed what seemed to be a path of subtle markers through the desert, only to find myself back at the circular building I’d began at after exiting the tunnel. I made me way to more markers eventually and saw gates in the distance. Maybe that was the exit. I ran towards the gates when I felt a sharp pain in the back of my leg. I began to feel drowsy and immediately after passed out.

I awoke in a dark room that smelled of mold and mildew, with a pain in my leg as if a needle had been injected into it. My gear was gone, and I was chained to a wall behind me. What was going on? Where was I? How did I get here? I soon discovered that there was a rock on the ground and began to beat the rusty old chains until they broke, real quality holding devices, huh? I walked to a door with a small increment of light protruding from below it and opened it. It baffled me as to why it wasn’t locked. I pushed open the door but a little to scope out my surroundings. I seemed to be in a large fortress somewhere in the desert. I saw guard towers positioned all around the fortress and guards on patrols around the area. I stepped out of my door and crept around the wall and did my best to sneak past the guards. I was unsuccessful of course, and an alarm was set off. Large, burly men in suits of armor ran towards me.

They were awfully slow, and being without my gear I was quite fast. I ran towards what seemed to be the exit and just barely made it out before the gate slammed shut. Archers flurried arrows at me as I successfully dodged most of them, not taking a lot of damage. I ran down a pathway leading to a bridge across a long gap, and disheartening fall. I kept on running until I reached what seemed to be the hills biome containing the mine that had started all of this.

I ran, and ran until I was back in the area in which my house was. Lighter footed guards still chased me as I finally reached my home and ran inside. I geared up as quickly as I could and went outside to fight my assailants. I was successful in taking no damage killing the front linesman, but that’s when their heavier infantry came in. Why were they so interested in me? No matter. I had to put more tactical strategy into this fight, as my strength didn’t even compare to theirs. I ran into the woods to the far East, knowing they would follow me.

I crafted a flint and steel and as soon as they stepped into the forest I set it ablaze. I escaped with my life. The heavy infantry men unfortunately did not. I’d finally taken down the forces they had sent after me. I truly was in the clear. I walked home, savoring my flawless victory. I stepped into my door and took off my armor and dropped my gear. I sat at the table to enjoy a celebratory cake I’d sat out for myself, had my mining trip been successful. Man, I have never tasted a better cake.

Lazuli73

Slicer
EpicBacon99 said:
Magpieman said:
I think you need to use paragraphs epic.

Paragraphs are for losers. Plus I forgot and didn't want to go back and edit them in. This isn't school.

School does suck, but one huge paragraph just looks like lazyness.

andrekeroxd

Slicer
I liked it. Paragraphs would've been nice though. A mysterious touch, I got a vibe similar to uhm, uncharted 3.
Question:
Did the old lady drug you when you scarfed down her breakfast? What's her real identity?

EpicBacon99

Slicer
andrekeroxd said:
I liked it. Paragraphs would've been nice though. A mysterious touch, I got a vibe similar to uhm, uncharted 3.
Question:
Did the old lady drug you when you scarfed down her breakfast? What's her real identity?

I do intend to write a sequel to this, so most likely your question will be answered then.

EpicBacon99

Slicer
Cryptite said:
These go in Lore damnit!

Excuuuse me Princess. I thought only direct server lore went into Lore. Like the artifact, the whatever it was called that prek blew the fuck out of, Prek himself etc.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
If it's a story or whatever and it involves Loka in any way, it goes in Lore. If it's a story for, like, League or something, then it's Everything Else.

Back