Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

the guardians curse

JocelynReed

Slicer
The guardian's curse...refers to someone making the rank of guardian or above and then leaving or rarely visiting the server.

Yes there are a few exceptions (Zor, Magpie, Crypt)

Thoughts?
Comments?

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
This is tough to answer with total brutal honesty, but in my opinion, many people want Guardian and above because they think it might give them a "more free" experience with the powers that come with the job, only coming to find out that the amount of work that being a Guardian actually entails gives what's probably more commonly known as "Admin's Curse." Any (good) admin on any (reasonably sized) server can tell you that once you've chosen to be an admin, you've effectively written off being able to 'just play' the game for the majority of your online-time.

Now, lately, the server's been quiet, and I think many of us have enjoyed it in a way because we've been able to get back to some of our personal projects. But the fact remains, when we're having a busy night, there are always people needing help. Some people can handle this, some people can't, and I think a big factor of being an admin is age and experience. Simply put, when you're in your 20s+, you've seen every type of internet-personality there is, and you have experience dealing with all of them. Some of our admins don't understand when they're being trolled, some can't handle the absolute ignorance of new players, others don't like conflict very much. Mag and I have learned much over the past year, in terms of what we like and don't like seeing in admins. It is probably for that reason that you haven't seen a great deal of promotions lately, despite the fact that many of our Guardians don't play much anymore (or at all).

Those of us who have remained have a clear and vested interest in the present, but most importantly, the future of the server. But even we get bored some times. That's why I try to introduce new things to the server when I can, but some things I work on are at a scale that just working on them at all sucks a huge amount of time out of me. The RP event, I can promise, will be epic and more awesome than anything the server's ever seen, but to accomplish that, the amount of work that is required to produce something of that scale is tremendous. That's why you're seeing little silly things like arenas being introduced. It's something I knew I could make quickly, that would be fun for the server, and that isn't as boring as trying to fix asy bugs :>

Anyway, rambled a bit, but perhaps this shines a light on some things.

Zor95

Slicer
Crypt is completely wrong.

When DiabolicMech left the server and was deranked he placed a curse over the position of Guardian. Now all of those who apply for the rank are doomed to vanish. Magpie resisted because he was around with Diablolic and is now Old One/Overseer. I was technically a Sentry when I first gained Guardian powers and I've remained a Guardian for the majority of the time since. Crypt just keeps promoting himself so he doesn't even count.

This curse can only be broken by the one prophesied to defeat Diabolic in a game of spleef. As we all know, this person is Artagan.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
2eJ84sN.gif

JocelynReed

Slicer
I sometimes joke that I will never apply for guardian because I LOVE the server too much. Sounds a bit backwards but I don't want whatever it is that causes people to leave.

JocelynReed

Slicer
Oh that anddddd I am not a fan of some of the "restrictions" on certain activities that guardians are not allowed to do. :cool:

Lucifer09

Slicer
In my defense - I didn't quit or leave because of the duties, I lag so bad I can't even play so I'm waiting until I get a new computer~

adderman500

Slicer
In my defense - I didn't leave I just cannot connect effectively to servers in America thanks to my ISP. There's unplayable server-side (10 minute delays!)

Mtndome

Slicer
In my non-Guardian defense, (sorry had to jump on the band wagon) I think it takes a certain type of person to be able to maintain both play-time/city duties and admin duties. Those who can maintain the balance stick around. Mag, Zor, Crypt, etc. (excluding extraneous circumstances)

Skitch the Wolf

Slicer
In my "aspiring Guardian" defense - I actually want to try for this server. This world and the people within it are worth it to me.

mopb3

Slicer
Y'all callin' me inactive >.>

*He says after coming back from a weekend of inactivity*

Jedoi

Slicer
JocelynReed said:
I sometimes joke that I will never apply for guardian because I LOVE the server too much. Sounds a bit backwards but I don't want whatever it is that causes people to leave.
I know this thread is, like, not alive right now, but, um. I laughed when I read this.......just sayin'.

JocelynReed

Slicer
To be honest, I actually do worry about it. I didn't become guardian because I always dreamed of being one...truth is....even when I applied I was really on the fence about it. However, we are getting new players everyday and a lot of our current admins are otherwise busy..the server needed another really active admin.

Jedoi

Slicer
JocelynReed said:
To be honest, I actually do worry about it. I didn't become guardian because I always dreamed of being one...truth is....even when I applied I was really on the fence about it. However, we are getting new players everyday and a lot of our current admins are otherwise busy..the server needed another really active admin.
I agree, and I'm glad you are one. You're actually a very good admin.

MasterAegon

Slicer
Well, I hope to keep the fire burning whether I become a guardian or not. This thread is full of people declaring their want to make a difference and many have disappeared because of the 'curse'. No faults can be declared by any blanket statement. Everyone has their own life and issues to bear.

In any case, Loka will thrive one way or another. Where there's a will, there's a way, and this community has far more of the former than is needed to simply survive.

Back