Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Suggestion The Introduction of Batty's Coordinates+ Mod on Loka

Do you believe that Batty's Mod should be added to the Allowed Optional Client Side Mods?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ziggify

Hello Everyone! I would like to see your opinions on the introduction of a client side mod to Loka!

As it currently stands, Schematica and Optifine are the only client side mods available. Reasons for this include allowing any vanilla player to log on and start to play with out a separate client like forge, and these mods do not give players an advantage over eachother. Schematica is used to transfer builds, and Optifine is used to boost FPS and to zoom.

The mod I would like to have introduced to the allowed client side mods on Loka is called "Batty's Coordinates+ Mod". What this mod does is it adds an overlay which shows coordinates, what way you are looking (N,S,E,W), and FPS. So, it allows players to see the coords, fps, and direction without using the annyoing f3 which comes cluttered with CPU and Display Statistics, Minecraft and Java Versions, Chunk Data, C, E, P, Light Levels, etc.

This mod does not add anything to the game that is game changing, and so I believe it should be allowed on Loka along with Schematica and Optifine as optional Client side mods.

Here is a link to the mod's official page: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/batty-ui

Feel free to give comments and concerns below!

Adzy

Slicer
The direction hud and coord mod is actually super helpful in team fights, i use it on 1.7/1.8. It would be cool if u could add it :p

Ziggify

That's the issue. It's an advantage you'd have over players without the mod.
Which is why it would be allowed to the OPTIONAL client side mods. Optifine's zoom has the same advantage over players without it, until it was added as an allowed OPTIONAL mod.

Skuhoo

Administrator
Staff member
Elder
Which is why it would be allowed to the OPTIONAL client side mods. Optifine's zoom has the same advantage over players without it, until it was added as an allowed OPTIONAL mod.

Apples and oranges. Optifine adds an absolute ton of optimizations that makes the game actually playable for many users. For a lot of people, Optifine isn't an optional mod.

Batty-ui also has a stopwatch feature, which could be used to keep track of beacon teleport timers.

Adzy

Slicer
Apples and oranges. Optifine adds an absolute ton of optimizations that makes the game actually playable for many users. For a lot of people, Optifine isn't an optional mod.

Batty-ui also has a stopwatch feature, which could be used to keep track of beacon teleport timers.
Yes but the coordinates and direction part is just like f3 but without all the weird text that fills your screen. I get the stopwatch part but don't you normally have someone on your side telling you how long is left on that anyways? (At least TGF does... we die a lot :( )

Btw love the use of Apples and oranges :>

Xovious

Slicer
I personally don't really see a problem with this mod, although the stopwatch is super helpful, you could very easily just have your phone sitting in front of you with a stopwatch if you really wanted to. In the end, it doesn't really offer any extra benefits, if we go into the deep stuff, Optifine does add benefits by increasing performance, making potatoes run cleaner so people can actually fight. There's a large difference between being able to TP to a fight and fight and not even being able to make the TP because you can't load the area where the T-Gen is without optifine, right? I approve of this mod, I don't really see anything wrong with the features listed.

BuscoNombre

Slicer
In my opinion i think we could let people use this mod, since it doesnt add nothing new. It just make things look different. We already have F3 to see coords and in which direction u are walking and F3 is not giving us any advantage on pvp. Optifine and custom texture packs can give more advantages on pvp than this

Zor95

Slicer
Considering this is all very easily accessible information, just in a more convenient format, I don't see a problem with it.

As for the timer, there are a hundred other ways to have a timer at the ready for conquest fights and it is just a vanilla timer. It's not hooked up to monitor inhibitor teleports or potion timers. Having this timer specifically offers you no advantage over any other timer.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
So this seems like a good place to address this in the context of our Rules Changes. The reason we (feel we have to) say no to this is that, while there is advantage provided by this mod and it's minor, the real issue is that okaying a mod like this creates a never ending slippery slope.

If we okay this, then we okay the spirit of this mod. What this inevitably leads to is players coming to us constantly asking if we can okay mods that are pretty close to this one. 5zig and many other mods provide this mod's exact functionality, but it also provides the PvP-advantageous HUDs for armor, potions, etc. Further, if we then have to build some potentially lengthy list of allowed mods, then we have a situation where players will likely be directed to that post and told that these are the "must-have" mods for Loka, which flies in the face of the reason Loka isn't a modded server. We've always and forever wanted Loka to be joinable by vanilla Minecraft without any requirement of mods. If we officially sanction mods for Loka, then we indirectly provide a required-mods list for the server.

There are so many mods out there with nearly-identical features, save for a little extra thing here and there. We have to evaluate mods that we do sanction (Schematica) by making sure they absolutely, 100% don't lead down a path of conflict in the future. Further there are arguments about the true convenience of the mod. In our view, Schematica only leads to better looking towns on the server. And having better looking towns on the server gives nobody a real advantage in Conquest or anything, so it's pretty benign. It's also a fairly major mod that is transparent about what it does and actually provides APIs that server owners can use to enable/disable its own features. Many other mods do not afford such control, and any mod that gives a PvP advantage becomes required and gives the users an advantage on the battlefield.

So while this is a benign mod, it's what it can lead to that led us to making the tough call about continuing to say no to client-mods.

Back