Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

The Rise of Auru

Jedoi

Slicer
Part I - Insanity

Sanity is such a fickle thing, one moment it could be as much apart of you as your hands and feet, the next it would be slipping through your fingertips like silken sands, and then falling, falling, falling, 'til it drowned in the waters of madness. The mind that knew itself to be right could be tipped wrong by the smallest action, smallest word, smallest thing... Something as small as the continent of Kalros... And in the taiga of Kalros, a being who madness has adopted as its own wandered through the trees, as the light of the setting sun slipped through the leaves and gently touched her face.

North. East. North. East. North. East. West! North. East. North. East. North. East. West! No.

Where was she again? The tree had told her that that which she sought was northeast. Where is northeast? Was that tree in front of her north? Or was the one behind her north? Which tree would lead her north? The spruce forest had no reply as she spun around in desperation, heart beating louder than the ring of war drums. Her heart WAS a war drum, in fact. The instrument that led the march of two armies in her ear against madness. Madness, it would never win. She was fine.

You're mad.

One beat.

No.

One beat.

Find help.

One beat.

No.

One beat.

Seek the Wolves.

Three beats.

No!

Could anyone help her? She could easily help herself find others. All she had to do was kill herself, find a blade and let it slice the throat, or better, the heart. Stop the heart, stop the heartbeat, stop the war. She would awake and from there find herself safe at home in Asgard.

Asgard? No, it couldn't be Asgard. A faint memory squirmed deep inside her like a worm desperately burying itself deeper to hide from a bird. A memory of purple and sickness, something that meant, No, not Asgard.

Was it Dellsmite? Citadel? Where else had she called home? What was home? The people, the food, the-

A wolf howled.

Her head shot up and at a speed comparable to lightning she raced off in the direction of the sound. Her mind too muddled to properly lift her feet, she constantly found herself on the ground, skin cut open by rocks or roots and gods know what else, but that couldn't stop her. That sound, that howl, that howl meant hope. Victory. It meant nothing could stop her.

Stop her from what? She couldn't remember. What was she doing out here? Would the howl lead her northeast? Or was she supposed to go northwest? Where... What....

With eyes clouded by madness the wanderer scanned the scene. Trees were to her left, her right, above her, grass below her, and through the trees... A road! Cautiously she sneaked closer to it and gently tapped it with a finger. She frowned at the sight of her own hand, for she was unsure whether the red color covering it was from blood or dirt.

The trot of horse's hooves was suddenly heard, and with a scream, the woman dove off the cobblestone road and under the trees. Her heart beat louder and louder as the echoing of hooves stopped, and the thump of boots hitting the stone came closer to her.

No, no, no no no. She couldn't die here. She was so close. So close to what?

The wanderer came face to face with a tall man with dark brown hair and eyes, eyebrows furrowed in concern as he observed the sight before him.

"...Jedoi?" He asked tentatively. Jedoi screamed.

"Jedoi, Jedoi, calm down! You know me! What's wrong?" He asked, taking her wrists so she couldn't flee. She struggled but in her weak, malnourished state she was powerless against him. Finally she turned with a scowl to look at him.

"Gruuuuuuuubul...." She oozed, narrowing her eyes.

"Jedoi, are you alright...? What are you doing out here?" He let one wrist go, which the wanderer used to rub her other wrist before snapping her gaze back to him.

"Home, home, I'm going home." She sung in a voice that sounded something between broken glass and the creak of rusted metal scraping against itself. "Roam, roam, I have to roam. Find, find, I have to find. Kind, kind..." It dropped to a whisper. "My own kind.."

Grubul let her go and she stood up, a wide grin on her face as she danced to her song. He slowly shook his head in disbelief.

"You're mad!" He exclaimed, frowning. "My town isn't far from here. Let me take you there."

"No!" Jedoi screeched, panic rising in her voice. "I have to follow the rules!" Her eyes darted around, looking for an escape route. Almost as if sanity returned for a second, she noted the sword on Grubul's belt, the blue and black cape around his shoulders, the brown horse behind him that she could probably mount quickly if she got around him, the-

"What rules?" He asked, and Jedoi's awareness shattered.

"It's in the name, Cerulean! I have to follow the rules!"

"Jedoi... Cerulean fell years ago." He whispered, to which she shook her head furiously.

She started singing again. "Our only hope lies within the rules! Those who disobey are naught but..." The song ended as she spat the last word, "FOOLS!"

She laughed and clapped as she finished singing, and smiled at Grubul, waiting for a response. He merely stared at her. Her violet eyes, pulsing with meaningless emotion, stared back, and then the sky exploded. Jedoi screamed like a dying bird of prey and dropped to the ground, covering herself with her bruised and bloody arms. Never had the crown of madness sat so strongly upon her head.

Grubul shook his head again, and slowly took steps toward her. In a quick motion he took both her arms with one hand, and lightly placed his other on her forehead, and everything went dark.

Last edited:

Wizardteepot

Slicer
Aye! This is awesome! Can't wait to see more :D
Honestly though, what a good explanation of the feeling of insanity!

Iyoforeayo

Slicer
100% agree with Tee - this is fantastic! One thing I find really interesting about a world where people are "immortal," is how much of a mental toll there must be, living all those lives and having them blend together

Jedoi

Slicer
Part II - Home

The first thing Jedoi felt when awareness returned to her was the warmth of the fire. Second, she felt the soft padding she was laying on, and after that the blankets on top of her. Upon opening her eyes, she saw stone far above her, and on all sides of her. She sat up.

"Good morning!" A voice called happily. She turned to him.

Grubul sat on the floor next to the fire. Within a circle of rocks, a pile of stocks burned brightly, causing the inside of the tall room to smell like smoke. Several wool mats and blankets circled the fire, and there was another fire on the other side of the room with blankets there too.

The room was mostly round, but with four distinct sides, each with a wide but secure doorway. The ceiling was high, and a staircase spiraled up along the sides of the wall. A large stone pillar held up the ceiling in the centre of the room, which Grubul sat next to as he smiled at her.

"Wh..." She blinked, her mind fuzzy but... Functioning. "Where are we?"

"Auru." He replied simply. "My city. We're in the Spire, the safest building in Loka."

"Auru..." Jedoi mumbled, glancing around again. "How did I get here," she asked, starting to stand.

"Don't get up yet. You'll probably be dizzy." Grubul quickly had her sit down again. "And I brought you here." He explained.

"Why?" She inquired, yawning and stretching her arms. She winced as her muscles fired up, a pain mild but unlike anything she had ever felt before.

"Careful, you got hurt pretty badly out there." He said. "A few broken bones, cuts, bruises, you were even starving."

"I don't feel like that." She replied, glancing down at her arms. Her tattoo of the Vanguard symbol on her right wrist greeted her, along with several new, faint scars.

"I healed you... Mostly." He admitted. "Oh, you do remember me, right?"

Jedoi nodded. "Grubul. You're a Guardian now, aye?"

"Aye." He confirmed. "Now, what were you doing out there?"

"Honestly, I have no idea..." She trailed off, thinking. She shook her head as nothing came to her. "Tell me about Auru." She said instead. Grubul brightened instantly.

"We call ourselves the Town Beneath the Tower. This here is the Spire, the oldest and most important building in town. Outside is mostly in ruins. We have a wall, but it was breached. I think we've repaired it now. Anyways right now we're working on reconstruction, in Ajaxan's and my absence things were going very poorly. Do you know Ajaxan?" She shook her head. "He's like a brother to me. He and I are the leaders of Auru, along with our brother Shadow Fox."

"You guys are like family?" Jedoi asked, smiling as she thought of Lazuli, Leasaur and herself when they were the leaders of Dellsmite.

"Absolutely. Ajaxan and Shadow, no one could ask for better brothers. But not just the leaders, there's Benged and Saporium too, the lords, and they're family too. You know..." Grub hesitated, uneasily trying to gather his thoughts. "You should join us! You could be our sister!" He finally managed, and turned to look at her.

"Oh, well, I live in... In Makosa..."

"We would be honoured to have you, I know you would love it here as much as I do." He added.

"You said you're reconstructing?" She asked, to which the Guardian nodded. "Maybe I can help for a little awhile?"

"We would love that!" He exclaimed, smiling as he stood. "You need to meet everybody!"

Jedoi laughed. "Think I can stand up now?"

"You should be good." Grubul replied, giving her a hand. She took it and pulled herself up, ignoring the slight wobble in her legs. He led her to the nearest doorway where they exited, and as soon as they left the Spire, she was met with a ghost.

Jedoi had seen ghosts before, ones not of this type. On the third homeworld of the Lokans, ironically, during the days of Early Dellsmite, ghosts roamed the world at night, disturbed by the Lokans' arrival there. In the end it's why their abandoned that world for Taan, but that's not what she saw now.

Early Dellsmite stood before her, or at least something very similar to it. In the centre of both cities stood a tower, albeit Dellsmite's was a small multi-level bunker and Auru's was a true tower. The walls of both cities were short, and the area within the walls was mostly flat, horses and other livestock roamed the plains as small structures were starting to be set up.

Just like Dellsmite...

There was even a lake on the western edge, however Auru's was a part of the great Aurulian-Hiloan lake, the largest in Kalros, and the wall had been built over it, where Dellsmite's was more akin to a pond.

"What do you think?" Grubul asked, bringing Jedoi back to the present.

"Wow.." She murmured, looking around.

"Oh, over here!" He said suddenly, and headed east. Jedoi followed him to where a half-dozen men were working on the wall, climbing up and cementing stone bricks on the top.

"Sap!" Grubul called, and a man high up waved down at him. The guardian smiled and closed his eyes, and in an instant Sap was pulled to Grub's location.

"Whaa... Grub! Stop doing that!" The young man yelled as the guardian laughed.

"Hey Saporium, meet Jedoi." Grub said.

"Hi, nice to meet you. Are you new?" He asked, offering his hand. Sap was a young man of average height, with black hair and green eyes. He wore dark blue clothes, similar to Grub's cape, but with green accents.

"To Auru, yes. To Loka, no." She answered, shaking his hand. "Nice to meet you too."

"Jedoi has been here even longer than me." Grub added.

"Wow, my broth- our leader will want to meet you." Sap said, glancing at the wall and the men behind him. "Expect him to ask you a million questions." He laughed.

"Heh, he's not wrong." Another voice said. Jedoi turned to see a short man with glasses and various trinkets on his belt, jacket, and... Everywhere.

"Shadow Fox." He said, nodding politely to Jedoi, who gave a small bow in return.

"Lord Fox, you're one of the leaders here, are you not?"

He smiled. "I am, though I tend to leave the leading to Ajax." He shook his head. "Lord Fox..."

"Technically, it's king. But we prefer to call him idiot." A handsome young man appeared at Shadow's side, smiling affectionally. He was taller than Shadow but shorter than Grub, with light brown hair, dark brown eyes, and a lopsided grin that Jedoi could only associate with pranksters. His garb was the strangest, however, it was white and padded, as if it was stuffed with wool to be more like a pillow than clothes.

"It's so I don't hurt myself too badly when I jump off the Spire." The man explained, seeing Jedoi's confusion.

She raised her eyebrows in alarm. "Why would you..."

"Wings!" He shouted, spreading his arms. A pale blue-grey fabric was seen between his arms. He turned around to show her the device attached to his back.

"What is that?" She asked curiously, glancing to Shadow.

"It's called an elytra, but it's not perfected yet. Ben here is my test subject." He smiled, and Ben lightly whacked him with his wing.

"I'm Benged, but you can call me Ben, because really that's a lot easier to say. Alternatively, you can address me as Your Majesty, His Highness, Almighty King of the Skies, or-"

"Idiot?" Sap offered, and Ben, struggling to stop his smile and scowl instead, marched up to him, whacked him lightly, and marched back to Shadow's side. Grub, Jedoi, and Shadow laughed.

"Oh, and who are you again?" Ben asked, as if suddenly remembering she existed.

"I'm Jedoi." She answered, smiling at him.

"Jedoi, nice to meet you! Welcome to Auru!" He grinned, lifting his arms to show his elytra again. "Now, we must fly!" He said happily, glancing at Shadow.

"You mean fall." Sap smirked, to which Ben waved away his reply.

"Well I can fly, and you can't, so I win. Ha!" With that, Ben raced off to the Spire, followed by Shadow.

"I should get back to work." Sap said, nodding to the wall. "I think Ajax is by the lake."

"Thank you." Jedoi told him, and Sap nodded before turning back to his work.

"That's our family." Grub smiled, and Jedoi started grinning as well.

"They seem awesome." She agreed. Ben, Shadow, Sap. She could definitely see them as her friends.

"They are." Grub turned west, followed by Jedoi. They passed the Spire, where the evening sun was casting a shadow over the eastern side of town as it slowly descended over the western wall. To the northwest, Jedoi could see battered farmland, and mentally added helping restore it to her to-do list. They arrived at a dock in shambles where a tall, broad-shouldered man stood facing away from them, watching the sun set.

"Ajax, come meet our new sister." Grub smiled. The leader turned.

"Hmm? Someone new?" He asked, looking at Jedoi.

Another ghost. The way this man stood and spoke was undeniable familiar, and that feeling only strengthened as he took long strides to stand before the two. He and Grubul almost could be brothers, they were of similar build and height, shared the same dark brown hair, but where Grub's eyes were deep and brown, like a dark cavern full of secrets and mysteries, Ajax's were ice blue, like the wide empty expanses of the ice wastes. Despite that, she could see he was far from empty.

"Greetings, Your Grace." Jedoi kneeled and bowed her head.

"Stand up." Ajaxan ordered, and she obeyed. He waved his hand dismissively. "Auru is too small for formalities such as that. Besides, Grub says you're our sister now?"

"I suppose so." She smiled. "I am Jedoi."

"Jedoi? One of the Aladran Librarians, aye?" He gazed at her with interest.

"Indeed, I work with Lydia, Lazuli, and Gabrosen." She nodded.

"You've been around for awhile, then." He murmured, looking to Grub and back to Jedoi. "I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind?"

"Not at all." She assured.

"Those who are believed to have created the Artifact."

"The Ancients?"

Ajaxan furrowed his brow. "Aye. Tell me about the Ancients."

Last edited:

Wizardteepot

Slicer
This is awesome! It's so interesting to see, especially with this chapter, how your story in Auru began, where as in GHT you're becoming High King! Obviously there's so much lore to fill in between, and man I can't wait to read it all!
This is terrific, though. Seriously, I wasn't there for old Auru, but just your imagery alone can give me a pretty decent mental picture of what it must've been like. Keep it up, Jed!

Jedoi

Slicer
Part III - The Lokan Intercontinental Alliance

Jedoi had called Auru home scare a month when something new arrived in the form of a ship entering through the city's west gate. The western wall laid on the great Aurulian-Hiloan lake, giving the city three entrances by land and one by water. Ajaxan had explained it allowed easy trade between Auru and Hilo when they had both been apart of the Vanaheimr Alliance.

From a small hill just south of the Spire, where Jedoi had been given a place to create a house, she watched as the ship docked. Waiting on the docks were Ajaxan and Grubul, who talked quietly as the ship's passenger leapt off to meet them. He was tall and broad-shouldered, with short brown hair. He stood in something of a warrior's stance, analysing the scene before him with his right hand lightly resting on the hilt of his sword as he nodded respectfully to the Aurulian Kings.

Jedoi could not hear their conversation, but eventually Ajaxan nodded and Grubul left with the newcomer, presumably to show him around. Ajax turned to leave the docks when he spotted her and waved. She waved back. The King made his way up the hill to where she stood.

"Who's the newcomer?" She asked as Ajax entered earshot.

"His name is Xovious." He replied, glancing back at the two men near the Spire before adding, "Ancients willing, he'll be able to help us."

"Help us do what? Rebuild?" Jedoi questioned, following the King's gaze to Grubul and Xovious.

"Defeat Hilo."

Your Grace, we cannot possibly take on Hilo! Her thoughts screamed. Instead she spoke carefully.

"You- Ajax... Are you sure that's wise? We don't have the numbers, the skill..."

"Jed, we don't have a choice." The King stopped her. "We can't let our people be surrounded by them. We're cut off from valuable resources. We need to fight."

"We can't fight." She protested.

"That's why Xovious is here. And why we have a secret meeting in a few days." Ajaxan lowered his voice. "The city of Sudkuste have called any cities who oppose Eldritch and Hilo to meet with them in Ascalon soon."

"Sudkus-"

"WATCH OOOOOUUUUTTT!" Their heads shot up as they heard the shout from above. They dived out of the way as Benged, with his arms spread apart as he glided, made rough landing on the stone pathway in front of them. He tumbled into the stone and rolled a couple of times, crushing the wings beneath him.

"Ben!" Jedoi and Ajax rushed forward to help him up. "Are you okay?"

Ben took Jedoi's hand and slowly got up. He took a groggy step forward and would have fell back to the ground if it wasn't for Ajax's support. Still, he bore a wide grin as looked up at them.

"I think we've almost perfected it!"

He spread his arms to analyse his elytra, and his smile faded. It was very damaged, if not entirely broken.

"Ben, try not to kill yourself." Ajax shook his head with an amused expression.

"Of course I won't kill myself." Ben exclaimed. "Auru would be lost without me!"

The three smiled as Ben removed the device from his back.

"Oh, Ajax, when's the meeting in Sudkuste again?" He asked absentmindedly, using rope to retie sticks together.

"You mean the secret meeting which no one under lord is supposed to know about?" He asked in return raising his eyebrow at the man.

Ben shot a look at Jedoi. "Oh..."

"I'm just joking with you." The King laughed. "I already told her."

"Wait, if no one under lord is supposed to know why did you tell me?" Jedoi asked, glancing at the two men.

"Kneel please?" Ajaxan requested, drawing his sword. A brief bout of panic rose within her before she realized what he was doing, when it was replaced with shock and amazement. She bowed her head and kneeled.

"Kneel, citizen of Auru." He said formally. He lightly touched the tip of his sword to her left shoulder, then her right, then the top of her head.

"Do you promise to defend Auru with your life? To guide it and its people?"

"I do." She whispered.

"Then rise as a Lord of Auru." The King sheathed his sword as Jedoi rose. They shook hands and the new lord bowed once more.

"I shall do my best, Your Grace." She said, smiling.

"I trust you will. Now, shall we make preparations to head west?" He asked, glancing at the two lords in his company. Ben smiled.

"First, can I jump off the Spire again?"

~

"Who all do we expect to be there?" Jedoi asked, gazing out over the Sunset Sea. She, along with Ajaxan, Shadow, Benged, Sap, and another lord, Neo, had boarded a Aladran ship late at night to Ascalon, and from there headed south to the Clay Cliffs.

"I've heard Ibbish and its daughter town of New Ibbish should be there." Ajaxan replied absentmindedly, flipping through a book.

"I got a notice that two Garaman towns, Fang Creek and Varmastand plan on attending." Shadow added, looking up for a moment. The engineer sat beside Ajaxan, tinkering with a few small gadgets. Benged and Sap were asleep below deck as they sailed.

"Sudkuste is owned by Tempest Blood, aye?" Jedoi asked, rehearsing the names she knew.

"Aye, and his co-leader Defgnw." Ajax confirmed. Jedoi whirled to look at him.

"Defgnw?? Def is there??"

~

The Clay Cliffs loomed above them, casting a shadow over the ocean. The Aurulians gazed up at the towering cliffs as the ship was maneuvered into a river within a steep canyon. Before long, they arrived in a cluster of other ships and boats made out of countless materials, and as they docked, other people helped them out.

A member of Sudkuste opened a hole in the cliff which connected to a late system of tunnels. They were led through in relative silence, and an air of nervousness was evident people gathered with unfamiliar faces beyond the Sanctuary of Aladra. Jedoi had no time to ponder this, though, she fidgeted like one of Shadow's broken machines, anxious to see her old friend once more. On the ship, she had explained to the Aurulians that she had met Defgnw when she was just a child, on the world she had been born on.

Jedoi snapped from her thoughts as the members of Sudkuste herded the visitors into a large council chamber, where several alcoves were set in the round walls. Each bore the ensign of a town, and the Aurulians made their way towards the black-and-blue banner of their home.

Ajax took a seat in the foremost chair, Neo and Ben beside him, and the others in the back. Ajax tried to convince Shadow to sit beside him, but the engineer assured him he wasn't interesting in speaking.

Auru of Kalros...

New Ibbish and Sudkuste of Ascalon...

Arxem, Varmastrand, Fang Creek, and Sunward of Garama...

Jedoi watched as the leaders of Sudkuste made their way into the center of the room. Tempest, a well dressed engineer, and...

"Def!" She leapt out of her alcove, grinning, and embraced the Ender-man in a hug. He turned to view his assailant, then smiled in surprise.

"Hey, Jed."

She glanced around, as it was clear the meeting was starting, and released her friend. "Sorry." She whispered, tiptoeing back to her alcove. Ben laughed as she took a seat behind him. Beside Def, Tempest chuckled as he stood in the centre of the room.

"Welcome to Sudkuste." The engineer said, looking in turn to each city present. "I call this meeting to order."

Last edited:

Jedoi

Slicer
Part IV - The Battle of South Gate

In the bright sunlight of a Kalrosian summer, an argument raged within the city of Auru.

"You will actually die if you go out there!"

"I'll just kill anyone who tries to kill me!"

"Xov, you cannot take on an entire Hiloan patrol."

"I'll avoid their territory!"

"All of Kalros is their territory!"

"Which means they can't patrol the entire continent."

"My gods, Xov."

Xovious grinned triumphantly at the exasperated woman. Jedoi knew he was right, he could take on almost anyone, but that didn’t stop her from worrying about her new friend.

“You’re impossible.” She shook her head.

"Besides, it won't be theirs for long." He whispered quietly.

The newly formed Lokan Intercontinental Alliance had one plan as of now: Liberate their one Kalrosian town from Hilo's grasp. Hilo controlled all the territory around Auru, the one exception being a single territory by their Southern Gate. Other than that, Auru was not allowed to grow, but soon their allies from the West and South would arrive in the dead of night to take back as much territory as possible. Preparations were made, scout patrols went out, and in less than a month Auru would be free. But until then...

"But until then, it's not safe." Jedoi insisted.

"I'll be fine." He chuckled, resting a hand on the sword at his side. Jedoi rolled her eyes and moved to lift the lever that would open the gate, but she stopped.

"What was that?" She asked, squinting.

"What?"

A loud explosion sounded throughout Auru. A thin tendril of smoke was seen on the other side of the southern wall, which grew to a large black plume. Several citizens turned toward the source of the sound. Jedoi and Xovious shared a look before turning and racing towards the Spire, where they nearly collided with Shadow.

"South Gate in under siege!" He shouted, panic visible in his eyes.

"Where's Ajax?" Jedoi asked as Xovious scowled.

"Rea-readying everyone." He stammered, gazing at the smoke coming from the gate.

"Come on, let's make them regret attacking Auru!" Xovious commanded, drawing his blade. He started barking orders to surrounding civilians, who glanced at Shadow yet obeyed the man with the weapon.

Jedoi ran into the Spire where she found Ajaxan giving young citizens armor and swords.

"We're going to fight?" She asked, staring at him in disbelief. He paused and turned to her.

"We'll always fight."

~

"Dammit!" Xovious cursed angrily, glaring daggers in a southern direction. In the meeting room beneath the Spire, the Kings, Lords, and Xovious were preparing to discuss their defeat.

Ajaxan took a deep breath, encouraging Xovious to do the same. Instead, he scowled.

"We didn't do that bad." Benged offered, breaking the silence.

"We did horrible." Xov retorted.

"We could have done better. But with Eldritch forces fighting with Hilo... We didn't stand a chance. I'm sorry." Ajax said, glancing to the people beside him.

"Shadow is missing, there's obviously a spy among us, and now we have no territory." Xovious listed.

"It's going to be fine." Jedoi added in vain, hoping it was true.

"Well, first things first, Xovious." Ajax stood up and drew his sword. "Please kneel?" He asked.

"What?" The knight raised an eyebrow at the King before the realisation dawned on him. He kneeled before the king, smiling, as his sword, Prophecy, was lain upon his shoulders and head.

“Do you promise to defend Auru with your life? To guide it and its people?” He asked.

“I do.” Xovious replied.

“Then rise a Lord of Auru.” Ajaxan stepped back as the young lord stood and drew his sword.

“I swear to you all, Kalros will be liberated!” He vowed, standing before them. “I won’t let you down.”

“We’re right by your side.” Jedoi said, and Neo nodded curtly.

“I’m ready to fight, boss.”

“Hilo doesn’t stand a chance.” Ben added, smirking.

Ajaxan smiled as he sheathed his blade. “Shall we make preparations, then?”

Xovious nodded. “We need more warriors. Everyone who wants to fight should report to me and I’ll start training them. I’ll teach them how to fight with swords, Neo, can you instruct them how to use a bow?”

The archer nodded. “I can start spreading the news.”

“Alright, good. Can you also find Kyle? I want him to design an armory, with a training field close by. Maybe by the south gate? There’s a field there.”

“What should I do?” Ben asked as Neo hurried up the stairs to start preparations. Xovious looked thoughtful for a moment.

“Visit non-Covenant aligned towns, find out their strengths and weaknesses and whether we may be able to recruit them to our cause.” The warrior explained. “Can you use you wing thing to travel quickly?”

Ben’s grin was wider than Jedoi thought was possible. “YES!” He hollered, throwing his arms up in victory. “I got this!” He rushed away, muttering to himself.

“Well, I’ll just let General Xovious take care of this.” Ajax smiled, standing up and stretching. The warrior looked at him.

“General?”

“Why not? It fits.” The king explained.

“I’m honored.” Xovious bowed his head briefly before turning to Jed. “Do you think you’re up to a fight?” He asked.

“Not at all, but maybe you can give me some tips, General.”

He smiled and nodded. “Right then, it’s time we start training.”

~

The figure rushed at her, silver sword coming at her like an arrow. She turned and leapt to the left, missing her opponent’s steel, and turned and dashed toward him, aiming her own blade at his lower stomach. He spun around and her eyes were barely able to follow him before she felt his weapon connect lightly with her back.

“You’re dead.” Xovious proclaimed needlessly. Jedoi removed her training helmet and wiped the sweat off her brow.

“I hate this.” She pointed out again.

“You also hate dying.” He grinned.

“I hate fighting.” Jedoi rolled her eyes. “I think Ajax should let me talk to Opyc. You know when I was a child, I used to call him Uncle Opyc.”

“That was like a million years ago.” Xovious joked, earning a glare from his friend.

“Then respect your elders!”

“Respect your elders.” He mimicked, putting his helmet back on and readying himself for battle. Jedoi followed suit, aiming her sword at him and rushed forward. The warrior parried her every blow, he spun around her as they danced, and perhaps she lasted a minute longer before his blade was at her throat. “You’re dead.”

“I quit. I can’t do this.” She dropped her sword again as Xovious rolled his eyes.

“Jed, you just have to focus.” He said, picking up her sword and leaning it against the post.

“No, I have to find a different way to be helpful.”

The general considered her words for a moment before nodding and replying.

“You’re right. Go find your own way.”

SnowyHarDZ1

Part IV - The Battle of South Gate

In the bright sunlight of a Kalrosian summer, an argument raged within the city of Auru.

"You will actually die if you go out there!"

"I'll just kill anyone who tries to kill me!"

"Xov, you cannot take on an entire Hiloan patrol."

"I'll avoid their territory!"

"All of Kalros is their territory!"

"Which means they can't patrol the entire continent."

"My gods, Xov."

Xovious grinned triumphantly at the exasperated woman. Jedoi knew he was right, he could take on almost anyone, but that didn’t stop her from worrying about her new friend.

“You’re impossible.” She shook her head.

"Besides, it won't be theirs for long." He whispered quietly.

The newly formed Lokan Intercontinental Alliance had one plan as of now: Liberate their one Kalrosian town from Hilo's grasp. Hilo controlled all the territory around Auru, the one exception being a single territory by their Southern Gate. Other than that, Auru was not allowed to grow, but soon their allies from the West and South would arrive in the dead of night to take back as much territory as possible. Preparations were made, scout patrols went out, and in less than a month Auru would be free. But until then...

"But until then, it's not safe." Jedoi insisted.

"I'll be fine." He chuckled, resting a hand on the sword at his side. Jedoi rolled her eyes and moved to lift the lever that would open the gate, but she stopped.

"What was that?" She asked, squinting.

"What?"

A loud explosion sounded throughout Auru. A thin tendril of smoke was seen on the other side of the southern wall, which grew to a large black plume. Several citizens turned toward the source of the sound. Jedoi and Xovious shared a look before turning and racing towards the Spire, where they nearly collided with Shadow.

"South Gate in under siege!" He shouted, panic visible in his eyes.

"Where's Ajax?" Jedoi asked as Xovious scowled.

"Rea-readying everyone." He stammered, gazing at the smoke coming from the gate.

"Come on, let's make them regret attacking Auru!" Xovious commanded, drawing his blade. He started barking orders to surrounding civilians, who glanced at Shadow yet obeyed the man with the weapon.

Jedoi ran into the Spire where she found Ajaxan giving young citizens armor and swords.

"We're going to fight?" She asked, staring at him in disbelief. He paused and turned to her.

"We'll always fight."

~

"Dammit!" Xovious cursed angrily, glaring daggers in a southern direction. In the meeting room beneath the Spire, the Kings, Lords, and Xovious were preparing to discuss their defeat.

Ajaxan took a deep breath, encouraging Xovious to do the same. Instead, he scowled.

"We didn't do that bad." Benged offered, breaking the silence.

"We did horrible." Xov retorted.

"We could have done better. But with Eldritch forces fighting with Hilo... We didn't stand a chance. I'm sorry." Ajax said, glancing to the people beside him.

"Shadow is missing, there's obviously a spy among us, and now we have no territory." Xovious listed.

"It's going to be fine." Jedoi added in vain, hoping it was true.

"Well, first things first, Xovious." Ajax stood up and drew his sword. "Please kneel?" He asked.

"What?" The knight raised an eyebrow at the King before the realisation dawned on him. He kneeled before the king, smiling, as his sword, Prophecy, was lain upon his shoulders and head.

“Do you promise to defend Auru with your life? To guide it and its people?” He asked.

“I do.” Xovious replied.

“Then rise a Lord of Auru.” Ajaxan stepped back as the young lord stood and drew his sword.

“I swear to you all, Kalros will be liberated!” He vowed, standing before them. “I won’t let you down.”

“We’re right by your side.” Jedoi said, and Neo nodded curtly.

“I’m ready to fight, boss.”

“Hilo doesn’t stand a chance.” Ben added, smirking.

Ajaxan smiled as he sheathed his blade. “Shall we make preparations, then?”

Xovious nodded. “We need more warriors. Everyone who wants to fight should report to me and I’ll start training them. I’ll teach them how to fight with swords, Neo, can you instruct them how to use a bow?”

The archer nodded. “I can start spreading the news.”

“Alright, good. Can you also find Kyle? I want him to design an armory, with a training field close by. Maybe by the south gate? There’s a field there.”

“What should I do?” Ben asked as Neo hurried up the stairs to start preparations. Xovious looked thoughtful for a moment.

“Visit non-Covenant aligned towns, find out their strengths and weaknesses and whether we may be able to recruit them to our cause.” The warrior explained. “Can you use you wing thing to travel quickly?”

Ben’s grin was wider than Jedoi thought was possible. “YES!” He hollered, throwing his arms up in victory. “I got this!” He rushed away, muttering to himself.

“Well, I’ll just let General Xovious take care of this.” Ajax smiled, standing up and stretching. The warrior looked at him.

“General?”

“Why not? It fits.” The king explained.

“I’m honored.” Xovious bowed his head briefly before turning to Jed. “Do you think you’re up to a fight?” He asked.

“Not at all, but maybe you can give me some tips, General.”

He smiled and nodded. “Right then, it’s time we start training.”

~

The figure rushed at her, silver sword coming at her like an arrow. She turned and leapt to the left, missing her opponent’s steel, and turned and dashed toward him, aiming her own blade at his lower stomach. He spun around and her eyes were barely able to follow him before she felt his weapon connect lightly with her back.

“You’re dead.” Xovious proclaimed needlessly. Jedoi removed her training helmet and wiped the sweat off her brow.

“I hate this.” She pointed out again.

“You also hate dying.” He grinned.

“I hate fighting.” Jedoi rolled her eyes. “I think Ajax should let me talk to Opyc. You know when I was a child, I used to call him Uncle Opyc.”

“That was like a million years ago.” Xovious joked, earning a glare from his friend.

“Then respect your elders!”

“Respect your elders.” He mimicked, putting his helmet back on and readying himself for battle. Jedoi followed suit, aiming her sword at him and rushed forward. The warrior parried her every blow, he spun around her as they danced, and perhaps she lasted a minute longer before his blade was at her throat. “You’re dead.”

“I quit. I can’t do this.” She dropped her sword again as Xovious rolled his eyes.

“Jed, you just have to focus.” He said, picking up her sword and leaning it against the post.

“No, I have to find a different way to be helpful.”

The general considered her words for a moment before nodding and replying.

“You’re right. Go find your own way.”
This is awesome

Back