Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Suggestion Town Perk for Town Level 24: Enhanced Beacon Range

Defgnww

Slicer
This isn't a very long idea, it's pretty simple. Basically, the perk for level 24 is enhanced range for any beacon active in the town. Ideally, it would match the radius of tour town, but it could be less, perhaps double the normal range of a beacon. Just something that makes it to where I don't have to waste 15 minutes moving a beacon due to their terrible range.

Ajaxan

Slicer
While we are on the subject and ideas for rank 25?

I'd love to see another infrastructure perk. Roads are by far my favorite perk in towns because they represent something players can build to benefit their town where normally it wouldn't really benefit the town. Something like a functional arrow tower that can shoot at enemy town members in range would be super cool. But also something as simple as some sort of better farming technique or new lighting system would be awesome.

My favorite idea though would be the ability to place particles. Only a few of course, we don't want people spamming them too hard, but imagine how cool it would be if towns could use particles to decorate their towns?

EastBowmen

Slicer
While we are on the subject and ideas for rank 25?
What about a portal within your town that can take you from one place to another within town borders? Only town members would be able to use it.

Last edited:

Wolfegger

Slicer
I like both ideas.

I also would like speed II on roads, but one can't ask for too much. Would it imbalance gameplay? Or make things too easy? I'm not sure. I would love speed II all over my town, as I prefer it to shooting ender pearls. I can imagine what haste II everywhere would do for me--I'd be flying through pickaxes (imbalance in gameplay--level up excavation/mining too quickly?).

The portals would be nice, as well. I have a second grinder, but it's a trip from the enchant industry building. Master pointed out in an earlier discussion of it that he used to use nether portals to get from one end of his town to the other.

Lazuli73

Slicer
I'd like to see custom town food recipes for a town perk. This would help develop town culture and possibly spark some new lore. The recipes could only be made with resources from their area, like a mutton and potato soup on Kalros.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
AFAIK There's never been an easy/usual way to modify the range of a Beacon, otherwise that'd've probably been a perk long, long ago. Particles were another one that's been talked about, but could cause performance and lag problems if too many are used.

Ajaxan

Slicer
I'd like to see custom town food recipes for a town perk. This would help develop town culture and possibly spark some new lore. The recipes could only be made with resources from their area, like a mutton and potato soup on Kalros.

This is another idea I highly support. Being able to have special food in your town that only your town can produce (even if it offers no real benefits and is only cosmetic) is a nice way to help towns feel different from eachother and develop real culture.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
This is another idea I highly support. Being able to have special food in your town that only your town can produce (even if it offers no real benefits and is only cosmetic) is a nice way to help towns feel different from eachother and develop real culture.

In part, that is on the docket for part of the Conquest 2.0 changes

Lazuli73

Slicer
In part, that is on the docket for part of the Conquest 2.0 changes

To me that means I have to get involved with Conquest to have my own town recipes. Explain further what you mean please because I don't see how a recipe for lemon pepper fish could relate to something like Conquest.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
To me that means I have to get involved with Conquest to have my own town recipes. Explain further what you mean please because I don't see how a recipe for lemon pepper fish could relate to something like Conquest.

Could be that the ingredients to the Lemon Pepper Fish come only from the Sunset Isles. I won't rule out any sort of town-made recipe, but I'm not sure what the mechanics of that would be exactly. More so the TL;DR of the conquest stuff is that we want to add more unique resources to the biomes that will serve a variety of purposes and that Conquest will give people better chances to truly control resources.

Lazuli73

Slicer
The recipe thing would probably work along side the Cooking Industry building. The way I imagine it is that once you reach a certain town level you unlock some kind of imbuing station where you arrange the ingredients on a grid, like a wall of item frames, to the recipe and resulting item you desire. Then there would be a command you do to activate the recipe, making your official town dish. One recipe that I think would be really cool would be blood soup, where you use blood and meat and, well, make soup with the beet root soup item representing it.

I don't like the idea of connecting the recipes to Conquest. Territory boarders are constantly shifting. One day you harbour land in the Sunset Isles, but the next an enemy destroys your tgens, cutting off your resources. The items you should be aloud to make these custom recipes from should be found within the immediate range of your town, not the entire radius of the territory, if your town even has any.

Grubul

Slicer
See, Cryptite wants just to add more unique resources to lands, but You are speaking of a premade food in town.

Thing is - brewing plugin could be helped to brew that.
Problem with this custom soups would be - ALL the possible outcomes would have to be programmed, with all the possible items to make soups. Quite alot time taking that is.

I wouldnt support the custom town food, for it wouldnt be ... that... good. All the work for something rarely used.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
I think the chief concern about town recipes is what is the incentive? Most players who want something unique to their town or player is because it gives them sort sort of advantage. Just being able to have a thing called Makosa Blood Soup (which is just beetroot soup and isn't different in any other way) isn't terribly attractive to most players and, like Grubul says, has the potential to be a fair amount of work for something rarely used.

If it was better than beetroot soup or something, then you run into question of balance. How do we choose who gets what, how does that become fair or not fair? What if Hilo stumbles across something very powerful? The key to coming up with ideas to features is not just to consider if it's what you or your town would want it; but what if the town you hated MOST on the server also got it; would you like it? I'm not shooting down the idea, but I'd like it seen more thought out in terms of how exactly it could work.

In fairness, too many little features have been added to Loka with a very minimal idea of what it should be, and then it only ever winds up being a half-written feature that never grows. So in the future I'm trying to ensure feature suggestions are more fully thought out so that if they're implemented; they don't have a tendency to just fall flat after a few days once everybody's tried it and gotten bored with it.

Otvm

Slicer
The portals would be nice, as well. I have a second grinder, but it's a trip from the enchant industry building. Master pointed out in an earlier discussion of it that he used to use nether portals to get from one end of his town to the other.
I agree with this idea. Loka is meant to expand vanilla Minecraft, not remove from it. Nether portals could easily connect alliances. End portals could be a special building created by a large amount of shards, some end stone, and eyes of ender. These could be in new "blank" dimensions (possibly flat worlds or a layer of bedrock.) I think taking away portals takes away from Minecraft.

Back