Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Towns 2.0 Part 4: Town Zoning

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Catching up? Check out the other announcements:

Just a brief rundown on how this will work. Like indicated with levels:
  • At Level 5, you earn the ability to define a zone (new name for bubbles) with build permissions only for owners/subowners. Max town radius becomes 200.
  • At level 10, you unlock Level 2 members, and any member can be promoted or demoted at this point with /g promote/demote. Additionally you earn the ability to also create a new Zone for level 2 members only. Max town radius becomes 300.
  • At level 15, you unlock Level 3 members in addition to the level 3 member zone. Max town radius becomes 400.
  • At level 20, you unlock the Lord level and the lord zone. A Lord can only be promoted for every 5 members your town has. Max town radius becomes 500.
These are replacing bubbles, but will be much easier to use, manage, and visualize. With each new zone ability unlocked, your town will gain the ability to define up to 5 separate zones for players in your town. 5 may sound like a lot but the idea is having too many is better than not having enough, especially when we want the server to grow and towns to get bigger.

You will have two ways to create a zone, the first is by defining a simple radius, ala town generators. For example, /g zone create Bank 2 40 will create a zone called Bank for town members with level 2 and up with a radius of 40 (diameter of 80) from bedrock to sky. If you want a zone that isn't fully vertical or needs to be rectangular, then you could use: /g zone create Bank 2 sel. By using your golden axe the same way you would define a town portal, you can define a rectangular region for better control.

Upon confirming the creation of your zone, permissions will immediately take effect and the valid players will be able to place/break blocks as you would expect. Due to the nature of how town zoning will work, we're also adding another command, /g zone default. By using this and specifying a level, you can indicate what level members can build in the unzoned parts of town. For example, /g zone default 2 would make it so that level 2 and above members could build anywhere within the town, but level 1 members (provided they had their own zone) could only build in their zone.

Also, while bubble generators costed extra, all town zones are free and can be as big or small as you want (provided their boundaries lie within town protection).

Hopefully I can release this before I leave this weekend. Questions away!

-Crypt

Last edited:

Zor95

Slicer
Bubble generator cost was never actually implemented. To my knowledge. Maybe that's where my missing emeralds went...

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
is there a way to implement zones only affecting a certain block height?

If you want a zone that isn't fully vertical or needs to be rectangular, then you could use: /g zone create Bank 2 sel. By using your golden axe the same way you would define a town portal, you can define a rectangular region for better control.

hyhu

Slicer
ayOIw0w.jpg

hyhu

Slicer
New question: Are you able to overlap zones? Say you do a large zone over the town, then make smaller zones for higher ranked townies inside.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Clarification. Level 10 allows you to create both for Level 1 and Level 2 members.

hyhu

Slicer
Creating selection zones doesn't work, creating zones in general (except default) doesn't work. My town is level 12 but it says my town can only have "0 zones at this time"

hyhu

Slicer
How would you create a
  • At Level 5, you earn the ability to define a zone (new name for bubbles) with build permissions only for owners/subowners. Max town radius becomes 200.
-Crypt

What's the command to make a zone with build permissions only for owners/subowners?

hyhu

Slicer
Owners/sub owners are considered member level 5
"Your town cannot yet create zones for level 5 member" If you can't make zones only for town owners at level 5, what level do you get to do this then?

Plus I find it pretty weird that I'm the same level as the rest of my townies, I'm only a rank II in my own town and I can't promote myself to rank V?

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Fix incoming. Owners/subowners won't be subject to promote/demote; their ranks are automatically 5 and whatnot.

Edit: Should be fixed now hopefully.

Last edited:
Back