Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Suggestion Trains.

Lazuli73

Slicer
Trains. Everyone loves em. Honestly there isn't much more to be said but hear me out!

So after the Port villages update to the final level, I was thinking we pull a John A McDonald and build a cross-continent rail system. Each continent would have its own set of tracks, and yes real tracks one can fallow like a hobo with a sack on a stick, that makes travel through the lands quick and easy.

The downside is that it would cost power shards to board and only goes once every twelve hours or something like that. It would certainly add to the feeling of unity that the server is trying to get across, as well as add conflict by making the trains raidible like in the old west.

I was also considering that the use of trains would be a taxable thing the continent Capitol could take part in, but they would also have a mandatory station near their borders.

Grubul

Slicer
arent we going to have the continents crossable from one another with a boat?

Lazuli73

Slicer
arent we going to have the continents crossable from one another with a boat?

Since when can a boat travel in land?

Train stations will be set up on each continent, traveling to other locations on the same continent. Instead of walking to the east coast of Ascalon, you can take the train and be there instantly.

Also another idea just came to my head. If we get trains in the future, rail bandits can block the tracks and force the riders to get out of the car and fight them off. Kinda like a new boss like the horseman.

Grubul

Slicer
the idea is cool... But wont it be too op? The annoying challange to walk to the edges of lands gives us something to do. And makes us play loka more

Eevee500

Slicer
This could be a lot of fun, especially if you can raid the trains instead of having to search for people's bases to attack. Would the trains be setup near the continent's spawn though?

Ajaxan

Slicer
Hmm, maybe I'm just crazy but isn't this just something we should attempt between us? If you control the territory you can create your own railroad that is protected. And when it meets up with another town's territory they can continue it or if you are allies you can continue it.

After we finish building our town i know the citizens of Auru will want to continue building. We will probably work on multi-town builds like fortresses, outposts, roads, and railroads.

As it is, travel SHOULD be difficult. Its a big world and if I want to get from one end of a continent to the other it SHOULD be a long and exhausting journey. But by working together with other towns we can create infrastructure that makes that travel easier. I guess my main point it, I don't think this is a project for the admins but a project for us players. If we want better infrastructure we have to build it!

Grubul

Slicer
Hmm, maybe I'm just crazy but isn't this just something we should attempt between us? If you control the territory you can create your own railroad that is protected. And when it meets up with another town's territory they can continue it or if you are allies you can continue it.

After we finish building our town i know the citizens of Auru will want to continue building. We will probably work on multi-town builds like fortresses, outposts, roads, and railroads.

As it is, travel SHOULD be difficult. Its a big world and if I want to get from one end of a continent to the other it SHOULD be a long and exhausting journey. But by working together with other towns we can create infrastructure that makes that travel easier. I guess my main point it, I don't think this is a project for the admins but a project for us players. If we want better infrastructure we have to build it!

so much perfectly my thoughts. I want Loka to be difficult. That makes me want to play more. And i completely agree on the multi town builds and things like that!

I want to work for things to become easier! :p

Lazuli73

Slicer
I was thinking that the trains be a community project, like the old world rail that never got finished because no one wanted to dig the tunnels. Laying tracks is easier and more fun then digging tunnels will ever be. I see the argument that people want Loka to be a difficult server to play on, which I agree it at least should have some degree of challenge.

I think the project should be a late server introduction, when the port villages and Aladra have updated to their highest level and most likey well past the release of 1.9. I've seen builds of train engines on hunger games servers and they are incredible. I was hoping we could add some good ol' Lokan spice to it I supose.

Ajaxan

Slicer
Just as an interesting side note when discussing moving objects. Minecraft PE announced engines, perhaps PC will also be getting something similar in the near future.

But yeah unfortunately a project like that will be hard to complete because as cool as it sounds people only build things when the see a very real benefit from it. As cool as a train track connecting everything sounds, its honestly not very helpful. Sure its nice to be able to travel there faster but it really doesn't go that much faster than just walking and when you consider all the time that went into building it... welll...

I believe to see trains and cross-town roads/tracks and the like emerge, there needs to be a reason to do so. Like, something beyond faster travel. That could be some sort of trade mechanic or perhaps it enables quick travel between allied towns, it could be anything. In general though I believe this may be the right way to head if you want to see people actually putting in the time to make roads/tracks.

RCAD

God yes, this is amazing. On the last server i used to play a lot, had a rail system and we used it for big trades, like chests full of sone or any other material sent out with chest minecarts. With automatic stations and crossroads, that are switching tracks by using renamed paper that goes to an item sorter to choose the destination, that way you can also send out orders. I could make a template or come to build these. And maybe the tracks could have a theme for every biome, like in the jungle the tracks are running on jungle wood bridges and roads, in desert on sandstone etc. And i really like the idea of having captureable stations, that maybe give tax for the owner and/or territory points, that way the entire railroad would be protected. So all that would give people a reason to build the tracks.

Back