Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

A Change to Chest Protection

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
I'd like to inform you all of a very significant change coming to Loka that will affect the entire server. We will be removing the ability for players in towns to cover their chests as a means of preventing access to chests in town protection. We feel this change is necessary to balance the thieves vs towns equation that, many feel, has tipped heavily towards towns as of late.

What this means is that covered chests in any way will no longer be safe from opening. This change is meant to allow a more realistic hiding and protecting of chests.

Please note that this change will not be implemented until three weeks from now, giving time for all of you to adjust your vaults accordingly. Rounded up, that means that the morning of February 18th, the change will go into effect.

Zor95

Slicer
Either way it's unfortunate timing. There is no Leap Day this year, the Ides of March is a couple weeks after this date, April Fools is an entire month off...

How depressing.

EDIT: Ah Presidents' Day... nice choice Crypt.

Zor95

Slicer
Also clarification:

This applies to every sort of protection yes? ie. generators, bubble gens, and worldguard? Or not worldguard?

Zor95

Slicer
Psychedelic98 said:
Zor95 said:
Another question:

Will this apply to all storage units or just chests?
What other storage units can you put a dirt over to prevent opening?

Trapped chests I suppose... but yes derpy question :s

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
All the change is is a straight check that basically says "is there a block over this chest? if so, open the chest anyway". How this interacts with worldguard or whatever, I'm not sure yet. The change will/should apply to all types of chests.

adderman500

Slicer
So you could build chests right up on the ceiling and still be able to open them? Might be handy for storage rooms and vaults

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
If anything it makes both thieves happy and builders happy by having a new way to build chests and vaults and stuff.

K

KenuDragonfire

Question: Will opening chests through walls be legal alongside this?

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
If by this you mean breaking a block in protection and quickly clicking on the chest the answer is no. This will be against the rules.

EpicBacon99

Slicer
Magpieman said:
If by this you mean breaking a block in protection and quickly clicking on the chest the answer is no. This will be against the rules.

Well, honestly then this is just set up for people to get robbed and no one know who did it. If the block isn't updated you can't check it and obviously no ones going to fess up if there's no proof. Don't get me wrong I love the idea of actually having to hide my chests now but this thing is sort of set up to fail.

EDIT: I don't mean robbing in general. I mean if the stealing fits into the illegal category then you would check it.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
I am encouraging players to put chests behind 2 thick walls. Preferably 2 blocks that require different tools to mine or have one of the layers obsidian. This way players can protect themselves from people trying to abuse this bug.

Also we are watching players most of the time so can see when they do abuse bugs :p

Back