Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Ruins

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
So I've been mulling in my head the idea of 'ruins' for a long time. I suppose the spark that made me really want to try to incorporate it was having fun with The Reach recently. I believe we discussed it briefly, but I've thought of some pros and cons as to why this may or may not work and I'd like your ideas and thoughts.

The idea: After a generator dies or perhaps even when a generator is unpowered for awhile, the 'town' in the generator's protected radius begins to decay into ruins after a period of time elapses.

The hows:
  • Stone bricks turn to cracked or mossy stone brick, other blocks may decay in some way as well (ideas on what-to-what?)
  • Cobwebs form in corners of buildings
  • Vines slowly begin to form in random areas and then spread naturally
  • Trees grow where they can

The catches:
  • When a generator dies, block protection stays online, forever. (To preserve the shape of the town and prevent it from being completely ripped apart by people.
  • HOWEVER, certain valuable blocks can be broken and looted (gold blocks, endstone, that kind of thing).
  • Methods of entry, however, will change. For example:
  • --Tnt can be placed anywhere (preferably right in front of walls for necessary entry).
  • --Any door block can be broken as usual.
  • --Obsidian can be broken as well, ensuring that obsidian encased vaults don't remain impregnable
  • --Other ideas here.

So the idea is that towns can decay in a very cool way, but the town can still be broken into and stolen from, just in a hopefully less explosive and destructive way. Hopefully people using TNT to break into old towns will use it sparingly, especially since they won't need to cannon in and risk blowing up unnecessary things.

What do you guys think?

JocelynReed

Slicer
I think it is a Cool idea as long as mossy and cracked stone cannot be taken. It would make the endless ruins of Loka much more interesting.

adderman500

Slicer
Perhaps you could test it on the artifact world where people can't break blocks and see how that pans out? If it looks effective then by all means go ahead. My only concern is the added controversy surrounding griefing. I like this idea though.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
JocelynReed said:
I think it is a Cool idea as long as mossy and cracked stone cannot be taken.

Thus the block protection staying on so that they can continue to look cool without people just ripping out all ruin-style blocks.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Psychedelic98 said:
I like the idea but it's too easily abusable.

Abusable how? These are the kinds of things I need to know about so I can work around them.

Psychedelic98 said:
Also what about buildings that have been built with mossy an cracked?

They stay mossy and cracked?

adderman500

Slicer
Cryptite said:
Abusable how? These are the kinds of things I need to know about so I can work around them.
Perhaps people making long term vaults out of stone brick so that they turn into cracked or mossy which then can't be destroyed. The thing is these are very elaborate plans which would have a lot of risk, i seriously doubt people will actually use the ruins idea to their advantage deliberately to protect items etc.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
adderman500 said:
Perhaps people making long term vaults out of stone brick so that they turn into cracked or mossy which then can't be destroyed. The thing is these are very elaborate plans which would have a lot of risk, i seriously doubt people will actually use the ruins idea to their advantage deliberately to protect items etc.

You could still use TNT I suppose to get into those areas. Might just have to adjust how tnt explosions work so that people don't use them to 'pop' blocks and gather them.

Psychedelic98

Slicer
I could put a bunch of huge gens in the area near my town to make the region harder on raiders. I believe the minimum distance between gens is 500 so i could double my radius. I could put a gen or two near another town to cause annoyance. Another thing to consider is if we're going to have a world border we can't have big blotches of unusable land. I guess we can fix all of these if we make towns ruin back to the state before they were created.

Zor95

Slicer
Psychedelic98 said:
I could put a bunch of huge gens in the area near my town to make the region harder on raiders. I believe the minimum distance between gens is 500 so i could double my radius. I could put a gen or two near another town to cause annoyance. Another thing to consider is if we're going to have a world border we can't have big blotches of unusable land. I guess we can fix all of these if we make towns ruin back to the state before they were created.

That's why, for the most part, we only allow ownership of one generator.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
As lovely an idea it is, i see one large flaw. Just because a player cannot continue to pay the towns gen doesn't mean he wants to leave it. He may just continue to live there without protection. The main reason people build gens is to protect their buildings, the last thing we want is to be effectively destroying someones builds just because they either have been away for a month or cannot afford their gen.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
That's why ruins will both take awhile to 'start' and the block changes should only ever be replacements and not actual removing of blocks in any way...

mopb3

Slicer
Cryptite said:
That's why ruins will both take awhile to 'start' and the block changes should only ever be replacements and not actual removing of blocks in any way...
I lived in cathedral quite happily for much longer than a while.

Back