Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Suggestion Scandinavian chat!

Ulrik_

Nobody is asking people to learn a language to play Loka. This post is asking for a language chat to be added for a group of people that already speak English. 90%+ of Scandinavians speak English, with a higher rate for youth. That's higher than even Canada (86%), and much higher than Poland (50%), the last country whose language got their own chat.

The point of adding language chats is to keep other languages out of public chat while providing a place for non-english speakers to communicate. Its purpose is not to be a regional hangout. Adding a Scandinavian chat would unnecessarily segment public chat, leading to less activity in it.
then shouldnt all the turkish polish and spanish people be able to speak english too?

Terenoca

Slicer
At the same time, their are lots of people who do speak various Scandinavian languages in public chat. All we are suggesting is for those people, who seem to only want to speak their native language in public chat, to have a home in which to speak it without getting warned.
Theres not that much ppl, thats the thing, and them ppl alr know english

Raddus_

Guardian
Theres not that much ppl, thats the thing, and them ppl alr know english
There's a decent amount, and the way I see it, there is really no harm in adding it. If people want to speak the language they are most comfortable with, who are we to not provide a place for that?

FoxyBearGames

Guardian
There's a decent amount, and the way I see it, there is really no harm in adding it. If people want to speak the language they are most comfortable with, who are we to not provide a place for that?
The concern, as it stands, is moderating yet another language. If there's only a limited number of people that can speak English currently it's far more convenient for the server not to add the chat. In order to facilitate a safe place for people to use the language they're most comfortable with AND keep it clean it requires us to use translators or simply have a completely unmoderated chat (both things that lead to it being a wild west). As I see it, we're more likely to drive the limited Scandinavian players we have away if the chat is loosely moderated because of our resource limitations. Maybe when it becomes more widespread and we have better resources at our disposal it would be worth adding, however, I think it's important to understand the redundancy of such a chat especially because as Skuhoo said, many Scandinavians know English as is.

Ulrik_

The concern, as it stands, is moderating yet another language. If there's only a limited number of people that can speak English currently it's far more convenient for the server not to add the chat. In order to facilitate a safe place for people to use the language they're most comfortable with AND keep it clean it requires us to use translators or simply have a completely unmoderated chat (both things that lead to it being a wild west). As I see it, we're more likely to drive the limited Scandinavian players we have away if the chat is loosely moderated because of our resource limitations. Maybe when it becomes more widespread and we have better resources at our disposal it would be worth adding, however, I think it's important to understand the redundancy of such a chat especially because as Skuhoo said, many Scandinavians know English as
The concern, as it stands, is moderating yet another language. If there's only a limited number of people that can speak English currently it's far more convenient for the server not to add the chat. In order to facilitate a safe place for people to use the language they're most comfortable with AND keep it clean it requires us to use translators or simply have a completely unmoderated chat (both things that lead to it being a wild west). As I see it, we're more likely to drive the limited Scandinavian players we have away if the chat is loosely moderated because of our resource limitations. Maybe when it becomes more widespread and we have better resources at our disposal it would be worth adding, however, I think it's important to understand the redundancy of such a chat especially because as Skuhoo said, many Scandinavians know English as is.
it wont be unmoderated there is a sentry that speaks 1 of the languanges and when u know 1 of them the others are easy to understand

Zachary_N_Kaleno

Sentry
Community Rep
it wont be unmoderated there is a sentry that speaks 1 of the languanges and when u know 1 of them the others are easy to understand
1 Sentry isn't a lot at all. They'll be solely responsible for that chat for a while (at least until more Sentries who speak any of those languages are hired).

Then when they're offline, what happens then? The chat is unmoderated

Scotlxnd

Sentry
1 Sentry isn't a lot at all. They'll be solely responsible for that chat for a while (at least until more Sentries who speak any of those languages are hired).

Then when they're offline, what happens then? The chat is unmoderated
chinese chat got 1 sentry, polish chat got 1 sentry I believe, turkey chat got 1 guardian and Portuguese got 0 staff members who understands it.

Terenoca

Slicer
chinese chat got 1 sentry, polish chat got 1 sentry I believe, turkey chat got 1 guardian and Portuguese got 0 staff members who understands it.
????? Portuguese chat has a lot of spanish ppl in there, and portuguese and spanish are a very similar languages which means both chats can have same staff on it

Scotlxnd

Sentry
???? Wdym by can have some staff on it ??? Like Zachary said theres ONLY 1 staff member that speaks that languages, and thats not enough....
still, there are other languages that only have 1 staff member that speaks it.

Back