Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Too Many Entities!

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
As some of you may have noticed over the last couple of days the server has experienced the odd lag spike, which is unusual for us since the introduction of the optimisation updates to the server. This was a result of the sheer number of entities and tile entities on the server. The two biggest contributors to the high entity ticks was hoppers and item frames. The town of Nassau had 8090 hoppers and 3767 item frames. If all major towns on the server had the same numbers, the server probably wouldn't even be able to stay up. So in order to future proof the server we are going to introduce some new limits to the number of hoppers and item frames you can have in a town. We don't want greedy towns taking up all the server performance.

• Max Hoppers: 2000
  • Max Item Frames: 500

This new limits will be implemented tomorrow and will prevent you placing hoppers and item frames if you currently exceed the max limit. It will prompt you with how many you have, so you know how far off you are.

The main use of hoppers in large towns are auto sorters. Multiplayer Minecraft was never designed to handle multiple large auto sorters. As a result we are currently working on a replacement to auto sorters, which will remove the need to build vanilla ones. It will be similar to how the Barn and Dungeon have replaced the need to build mob farms. It will effectively act the same as current auto sorters but remove the need for hoppers. Expect this feature to come out in January. When this change comes we may reduce the max limit on hoppers further. The current limit is very high to allow existing auto sorters to still work until we have a solution in place.

A further change we will be making in the near future is to passive mob despawning in towns. Due to our aggressive mob spawning there are increasing numbers of mobs gathering near the borders of towns. To prevent this we will more aggressively despawn mobs inside of towns. They will NOT despawn if they are inside the barn, name tagged, or tamed.

All these changes are aimed at allowing Loka to continually run smoothly as we grow and handle large numbers of players. It also has the added bonus of less client side fps lag in towns for all you potato owners out there!

koi0001

Guardian
The road map just becomes more bendy and long, interested to see what the new autosorter will be though

Mrp

Slicer
If we are already over the limit of hoppers and item frames will anything happen? Or will we just not be able to place additional ones until we remove some? Asking for a friend

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
If we are already over the limit of hoppers and item frames will anything happen? Or will we just not be able to place additional ones until we remove some? Asking for a friend
It will simply prevent you placing more. We may pester the worst offenders to remove some but on the whole we will give peeps plenty of time to change things. We won't ever delete stuff randomly or anything.

koi0001

Guardian
Honestly, I mean this in the least judgemental way as possible but where does this stand in priorities? Would we expect to see 1.13 first or this?

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Honestly, I mean this in the least judgemental way as possible but where does this stand in priorities? Would we expect to see 1.13 first or this?

This and 1.13 are being developed in parallel, in all honesty. That said, this is likely to be developed/released first since it's a far smaller set of changes than 1.13.

The simple truth is that when the server begins to lag, that always becomes our top priority to fix. In the most recent "big" fight, where the server began to lag, we turned off hoppers and the server immediately returned to normal.

In super actuality, these changes; specifically the hopper auto-sorter (I'm thinking it'll be called Ender Storage because it involves magic and teleportation) was something we've talked about for over a year. When server activity rises, especially in recent days, we have issues when ALL or a majority of the large towns are loaded simultaneously, because it means everyone's hoppers, map-rooms, autobrewers, autosorters, etc are going. This means the server can lag with few people (relatively speaking) online, if but one person from each town has the proper chunks loaded.

In order to prepare for future growth, we can't have the server lagging with less than 40 people on. It's slightly more understandable when there're 90+ people online and we have some lag, but when population is lower and tps drops, we have problems.

The sooner we can get these caps, and Ender Storage features in, the sooner people can prepare their towns accordingly for them. Survival Minecraft is inherently poorly optimized and laggy; and as Mag said, it's not meant for more than one town "Full Of Things" to exist. In order to keep Loka as survival/vanilla as we can, we have to come up with systems like we have (Barns, Industries, etc) in order to keep everybody running smoothly.

Anyway, long story short, we should've had Ender Storage implemented when we first had hopper issues with Hilo, but we wanted to try to keep things vanilla as long as possible. It's apparent that now we really need to jump on implementing this so that the server can be running smoothly before we switch to 1.13 (which is still noted to perform more poorly than 1.12).

As for treasure knives, while I know many people are excited about this, it's not smart for us to prioritize a feature meant to make us money when we have bigger problems like being behind on a major patch update, and performance issues. As much as we'd like them sweet, sweet orb purchases, I want Loka running smoothly and on the latest and greatest, before we release them.

Zor95

Slicer
Last night a number of my item frames refused to render and when I attempted to replace them they still wouldn't render and it showed that I was at the cap of 500 item frames. Despite that I could still place new frames on different blocks. Today all my item frames are back, but I am still receiving the 500 item frame warning and I am quite sure that Beetroot Estates is not anywhere near the cap.

Any idea what is happening?

catfishjw

Slicer
As a self declared redstone person this makes me big sad :( I will miss being able to show off autosorters to town owners when they ask if I have special skills

Back