Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Town Barns

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
What a monday! In order to continue addressing some lag issues, we are now ready to tackle the other half of the Too-Many-Entities problem. The first, obviously, was over saturated spawners. If you forgot about that, read all about it here.

The second half of the problem is town farms. Frequently, animals are placed in tiny pens by the dozens, sometimes hundreds, and this causes a lot of strain on the server. The solution was originally in the original idea for the Farming Industry, which was the Barn. We've decided to change things a little bit and let all towns have a Barn at level 1. As a result, we'll be coming up with a new industry for Farming. But now, on to the Barn!

First thing's first, you can no longer breed animals in towns. Second, chickens will no longer spawn from eggs. The barn should suffice as a means of gathering loot from your animals in a much cleaner, efficient way. So, without further ado, I present:

The Barn!
GMPiLl9l.jpg

Barns process animals in a efficient manner by turning the food that you would otherwise breed them with into straight loot drops. Much like the Lumber Mill Barns contain two chests, a feed chest (Trapped Chest) and an output chest (Regular chest). The barn works as follows:
  • Every 7 seconds or so, the Barn will process the first 8 animals that it finds inside. Regardless of what kind of animal it is, so long as there is the proper breeding food in the input chest, it will process that animal and generate loot directly into the output chest. Loot is equivalent to what you would get if you killed the animal.
  • Animals inside of the barn are invulnerable. This should help any rare or hard-fought fought animals from suddenly being friends with a Creeper. If you wish to slaughter any of these animals, simply lead them outside.
  • Colored Sheep will generate their respective colored wools into the output chest as well.
  • Chickens will generate eggs as well.
  • Barns will (but don't, yet) level up in some way, be it faster processing time or allowing more animals inside. Because this is not an industry, the leveling will probably be on the intervals of every 5 town levels or so.
Every 5 levels, your town's Barn will be upgraded:
  • Town Level 1-4 (Default) : Barn supports 8 animals and processes them every 30s
  • Town Level 5+ : Barn supports 10 animals and processes them every 27s
  • Town Level 10+ : Barn supports 12 animals and processes them every 24s
  • Town Level 15+ : Barn supports 14 animals and processes them every 21s
  • Town Level 20+ : Barn supports 16 animals and processes them every 18s
  • Town Level 25 : Barn supports 18 animals and processes them every 15s
Barns are spawned in the same as with Territories. The command to spawn your barn in is /g create Barn.

Town owners will be notified of this change in-game as well. I will probably also be going around to various towns and asking that people remove their large animal farms and begin using the Barn. Some towns, but not many, still have on the number of high-hundreds of mobs and this causes issues for the server when we're heavily populated.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

MasterAegon

Slicer
Sounds like this works no matter what as an alternative to mass farms since he said we'll be coming up with a new industry for farming.

This way everyone doesn't get robbed of the ability to harvest animal loot. I did suggest that the output be increased if the town is at a mile marker with the industry (50, 75, 100)

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Only animals that Barns can process are blocked from spawning (Cows, pigs, chicken, sheep). Other animals can breed just fine.

Barns are not affected by Shutdown.

Kobeyador

Slicer
Will exp be part of the loot that will be received from the Barns? I am mainly curious, because I deeply depended on my farms for exp when I first made my town. A farm of 100 animals can provide a player between 100-350 exp per breeding/slaughter cycle.(breeding 50 baby animals and slaughtering 50 of the grown animals)

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Given the greater ease of gaining XP these days, no, xp is not planned to be a part of the Barn

Leasaur

Slicer
I've placed one (looks sweggy), but it doesn't seem to be working as explained, can you come help me out when I'm online please, Crypt?

Lazuli73

Slicer
Is it possible to destroy a barn and move it over slightly, be it with a command or manually? I have already set my barn up without realizing that there were two entrances and it isn't centered with my paths, which drives mt self-diagnosed-OCD go mental.

Kobeyador

Slicer
What about breeding pigs for pig racing? Or keeping farm animals as pets?
They are only blocked from spawning inside town protection. You can take them outside protection and breed them. Same with eggs, they can hatch baby chickens outside of a towns protection.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
We will be instituting some checks soon for animal breeding as well to ensure that people don't just make farms outside of their town to circumvent this entire system. Short of for pets, though, there is no real reason to have big animal farms anymore. Barns are exceedingly more efficient than having dozens of animals.

Kobeyador

Slicer
I have a question about sheep though. Will wool be harvested from sheep without using wheat in the inbound chest? Only real reason to have sheep in the farm(for now) is for wool and you only use up sheers durability to get that.

Kobeyador

Slicer
Also i noticed you are able to break down and build in the barn. Are we allowed to automate it with rails,red stone, and hoppers?

Leasaur

Slicer
Since this was supposed to be an industry building for Farming, now there is no perk for reaching Farming 50. Maybe we should have a major barn upgrade - such as putting one piece of wheat in Input fuels output infinitely, like how the Tavern furnace works?

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Not a bad idea. I was thinking of just having a different Farming industry altogether, but that could work too.

Ideally the Farming industry would also help upgrade how crops work as well as animal things.

Zor95

Slicer
Is there a way to revert wheat growing to the old method of 1 bonemeal per crop instead of 3-5? That would be a nice farming perk. Or perhaps just convert bonemeal into wheat, seeds, and flowers automatically.

Back