Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Towns and chests protection.

Do you think 'PVP' on Loka should be changed ?

• No, it's good as it is.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Yes, but only slightly.

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Yes, protection should be removed.

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

Zor95

Slicer
Psychedelic98 said:
That's true, but most protected space should be put to some use, permitting a 50-100 block buffer.

In a reasonable period of time yeah. I wouldn't tell town owners that they must fill every single chunk during the first week of that town's life. But now the problem is that we can't set rules for this kind of stuff. It's just too vague.

Toiongo

Slicer
Toi the chest protection will mean people will hide their chests behind a wall but that would make it much easier for someone to cannon into that room to steal the loot.

You think they'll just make a 4 wall building on outskirt of their towns for storage ? They'll make it inside a house, castle, or wherever, it won't be easy to bomb it without destroying parts of the structure, which would mean people will simply get accused of griefing for that. It won't be easier, it'll be impossible without getting banned.

It also means any chests left around the town for a current building project etc. will be venerable if a thief gets into the town because they cannot just put a block over the chest.

Once again, do you think someone will be stupid enough to leave valuable stuff in them once the update comes ? Especially with update date being known to people.

mopb3

Slicer
Toiongo makes some very good points that the rest of you seem to try and ignore

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
The point is not to make it easy to steal. Simply that people in towns have to think a bit more than they did before. The thieves of the server like the update as does everyone else. Also you would be surprised, even atm lots of chests are placed around towns uncovered with valuables in. This will only increase with blocks on top not protecting the chests. I would also like to make the point that this is not going to be the only change that benefits thieves/getting into towns. It is just a start.

mop stop being like def and grow up. Toi made that post just over 2 hours before you did. No one was on during that time to respond.

mopb3

Slicer
Magpieman said:
mop stop being like def and grow up. Toi made that post just over 2 hours before you did. No one was on during that time to respond.
Psychedelic98 said:
I think mop was saying those points have been brought up and ignored in the past.

The points I refer to are those which Toiongo made in his post, protection should not be completely removed but certainly needs changing etc.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
mopb3 said:
The points I refer to are those which Toiongo made in his post, protection should not be completely removed but certainly needs changing etc.

Ok, changing how?

Zor95

Slicer
Cryptite said:
mopb3 said:

Ok, changing how?

Asy's original system was kind of nice. The size of your protection was based on the number of columns in the chest you filled with cookies. To first fill a column you have to unlock it, and to unlock it you had to sacrifice a stack of cookies for every slot in that column. Basically, there was an additional fee for expansion.

Very minor change that might discourage people from taking as much land as possible.

mopb3

Slicer
Cryptite said:
mopb3 said:

Ok, changing how?
If it were up to me, i'd use the system that I posted about earlier in this thread but it seems like a bit of a radical idea so the general thing that needs changing is the removal of systems by which players with any sort of mental ability can hide behind walls, put their items in building inside the city and then call to the admins about how so and so griefed their house with a cannon and stole their stuff

Psychedelic98

Slicer
Limiting the distance of protection is a start. I've also been thinking it would be interesting if we could place redstone components like torches dust and pistons in protected areas.

mopb3

Slicer
Protection distance being limited and all that stuff is a nice way of dancing around the problem, but doesn't really get to its core.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
I like the idea of making town boundaries far more rigid. Maybe charge a town when it reduces its protection too, so they have to think more whether it is worth expanding because if they change their mind it will cost them to reduce the protection again. Instead of them simply unlocking the ability to protect anything up to a certain distance, what if the gen is charged whenever the radius changes and the greater the radius change, the greater the cost. This way towns wouldn't grow from a 50 rad protection to 300 over night. It would be a much more gradual process giving the impression the towns boundaries are much more fixed.

mopb3

Slicer
Psychedelic98 said:
Puts a bandaid on the stab wounds of future problems, but does nothing for those that already exist.
i_concur2.jpg

Back