Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Rejected Allow Lunar Client (Heavily Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
It's not like you guys have to integrate Lunar API

We would absolutely have to integrate this if we allowed Lunar because we would be disabling the majority of its mods to remain consistent with the other kinds of mods we disallow (things that give advantages over somebody with a vanilla client).

It's a big chunk of the reason we haven't allowed Lunar yet.

jakeman5

Slicer
We would absolutely have to integrate this if we allowed Lunar because we would be disabling the majority of its mods to remain consistent with the other kinds of mods we disallow (things that give advantages over somebody with a vanilla client).

Why is integration of Lunar API a problem? The largest server Hypixel has Lunar API. If it was a major security risk everyone would already be screwed. It just doesn't make sense.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Why is integration of Lunar API a problem? The largest server Hypixel has Lunar API. If it was a major security risk everyone would already be screwed. It just doesn't make sense.

At what point did I say that Lunar API was a security risk?

jakeman5

Slicer
The literal reason we have Lunar fully disabled is because it has inherent anti-knockback (intentional or otherwise) built in. Until this is proven to have been resolved lately (which doesn't thus far seem to be the case), Loka will continue to block players joining with it.
The first argument was that it is disabled due to KB changes.

This is naive thinking, unfortunately. When we permit a mod, especially one that is so widely used, we basically do force tons of people to use it because we're a PvP server. If using Lunar gives you the best possible experience for fighting in some regard, many towns/alliances will mandate its use, which all comes back to us because we approved it, which means we basically made lots of people install potentially sketch software on their computers.
Then it is security risks that are present with legitimately anything downloaded off of the internet.

Then it is because you don't want to integrate the API.

MAN, PICK A REASON.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Then it is security risks that are present with legitimately anything downloaded off of the internet.
Is there something wrong with the fact that we try to do more than the average Minecraft server to vet things and try to keep our playerbase safe?

Then it is because you don't want to integrate the API.
I don't remember saying this either, nor was I aware that we were only allowed to have one reason to have Lunar disabled...

For what it's worth we are looking into this still.

jakeman5

Slicer
Is there something wrong with the fact that we try to do more than the average Minecraft server to vet things and try to keep our playerbase safe?
No but the player-base who choses to use this client already does so that doesn't change anything.

I don't remember saying this either, nor was I aware that we were only allowed to have one reason to have Lunar disabled...

For what it's worth we are looking into this still.
The problem is that the reasons are ridiculous. KB which was tested and proven wrong. Downloading anything off the internet is a security risk. That includes Minecraft itself. Leaving the API as the only reason that makes sense.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
No but the player-base who choses to use this client already does so that doesn't change anything.

The problem is that the reasons are ridiculous. KB which was tested and proven wrong. Downloading anything off the internet is a security risk. That includes Minecraft itself. Leaving the API as the only reason that makes sense.

To wit, if I recall correctly, we were leaning towards "heck it, let em use Lunar if we can disable all the mods we want". Largely it's been time as the issue of implementing the api.

coolkidsupa

Yeah I forgot Lunar API correlates with disabling mods, my bad.

Zachary_N_Kaleno

Sentry
Community Rep
I don't really see how it's a problem for most players to simply switch to different profiles. 30 seconds at the very most, I don't see how it would be a big problem for them to just play vanilla.

Skuhoo

Administrator
Staff member
Elder
1.17 Lunar Client appears to have broken disabling mods server-side. Testing it on my own server you're able to use mods despite the notification that they're disabled:
ZZRlw8m.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back