Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Changes to Towns

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Greetings Lokans!

We have casually spoken about some changes to towns we've wanted to make for some time, but due to priority shifts and wanting to gather the right data, we've put off announcing some of these changes for awhile.

When it comes to Towns on Loka, we have some concerns about things in general:
  1. It's almost comically cheap to own a town with few to no territories.
  2. Towns are kept alive eternally, often by the smallest numbers of players possible just as holders for whenever Conquest shifts continents
  3. Town sales are volatile and rife for scamming opportunities
What we are announcing is a change that will be implemented in January 2024. We are giving heads up a month ahead so people have time to prepare accordingly to the changes we will be making. Firstly,

Town Pricing Changes
  • We will be significantly increasing the cost of owning towns.
    • This won't be a paralyzing change, but there is an extreme delta between how much it costs to town and how easy it is to get shards on Loka.​
    • The cost for owning territories will increase as well but not nearly at the same level.​
    • We don't want to scare off new players from owning towns but we also want to make it appropriately costly to own a high/max level town.​

Cost Breakdown:
New Town Base Cost will be 300 shards per day (currently 50).

Territories OwnedCost per TerritoryTotalRadars OwnedCost per TerritoryTotal

This is probably the less controversial change, many players have noted the ease of owning towns with regards to how cheap it is. Simply put, you should have to do some level of work/grinding to keep a town going for long periods of time. Right now, many towns have extremely large balances that can keep them going for months without ever needing to refill.

As we prepare to advertise Loka and bring in some new blood, new people will need space and places for new towns and it's not scalable if everyone can own towns with very little work.

Town Sale Changes
  • You will only be able to /town transfer to a player who has been in your town for at least one month.
    • In other words, you cannot just sell towns to random people whenever you need to by adding them and insta-transferring to them.
Town Loyalty is at an all-time low. This isn't necessarily a good thing or a bad thing, but it speaks more to the nature of Loka being a server whose community is almost exclusively here for the PvP. As a result, very few players actually care what towns they're in, they're just here to fight. Again, this isn't good/bad, but without loyalty or motivation to do anything with a Town, you have the current landscape of towns on Loka (a lot of level 25 towns with next to no builds, an underground war room, lockers, and a space for industries). Anything else is unnecessary; better yet if you can just buy some old town and its build and live there since you don't have to build anything new.

We want people to care about their towns and giving ownership away should be a big deal, not just "hold my town for a month". What's more, a lot of people are scammed through town sales and while this is legal, it is no less fun for people to lose a bunch of money. We considered adding a feature to handle town sales safely, but that means we'd be straight up supporting town sales, which we are not fond of.

The main reason for this change is to reduce the number of towns on the server. We believe that if towns are more difficult to transfer to others then they have less value and therefore players are less incentivised to hold onto towns keeping them on life support.

The third option we had, which we have chosen not to move forward with is increasing the number of actives required to run a town as we think this would be the least popular change to manage the number of towns on the server. It also directly harms new players the most as it makes it very challenging to get a new town off the ground.

Personal Vault

This isn't strictly related to the above changes, but it's coming now as a result of these changes and having new folks join the server. It is legal for town owners to kill new members and take all their things. This obviously sucks, but it has to be legal and will remain that way. Admins have no desire to decide what "felt fair or not" and that's why many of our rules try to remove admins' personal opinions from any judgements.

We will be soon launching a Vault at spawn to augment Ender Chests and give players a permanent, safe storage inventory to put their things. Enderchests are often used like shulkers in battle for various reasons, so it's not always viable to use an echest for long term storage. If you have a place to store your very most valuable lores, artifacts, items, and such, then at least if you do get scummed by an evil town-owner, you haven't lost your most valuable items.

Raiding hasn't been super viable on Loka for a long time; so we don't feel the Vault is really going to make an actual difference in the ability for people to raid towns and get valuables (it practically never happens anymore), especially since the space in the vault is so limited.

Ok, that's all! Feel free to ask questions as you'd like, but we hope these changes will grant a bit of dynamism to the landscape of Loka, leading to better towns, not just "more" of them.

Go Forth!

Last edited:

Cthan

w changes, I like it. towns are too common now and basically everyone owns one *cough* ASCALON. good direction to head in!

Cthan

Broooooo how am I gonna keep vendetta alive and now WITHOUT cashrunning??? 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭
you can still cashrun people i think, i don't think they're talking about making it illegal. " It is legal for town owners to kill new members and take all their things. This obviously sucks, but it has to be legal and will remain that way."

Zachary_N_Kaleno

Sentry
Community Rep
one suggestion, maybe make it so old town owners of that town once they come back to theyr old town they dont need to wait 30 days to get ownership back
Huge -1, If you leave a town for whatever reason, you shouldn't get preferential treatment. You left, whether for malice or not. You shouldn't be able to skirt the rules

Deeuss

you can still cashrun people i think, i don't think they're talking about making it illegal. " It is legal for town owners to kill new members and take all their things. This obviously sucks, but it has to be legal and will remain that way."
Im being sarcastic, but honestly there isnt much to probably cashrun if they have a private vault, what, am I gonna cashrun their 15 sets?

((Also I dont cashrun ppl))

Cthan

Im being sarcastic, but honestly there isnt much to probably cashrun if they have a private vault, what, am I gonna cashrun their 15 sets?

((Also I dont cashrun ppl))
I don't think the personal vault is gonna be very big probably no bigger than an echest is. so most people wont be able to fit all their stuff in it

Deeuss

I don't think the personal vault is gonna be very big probably no bigger than an echest is. so most people wont be able to fit all their stuff in it
They didnt mention if they were gonna allow shulkers in it, or not, if they are then that changes everything, if they dont then you are 100% correct sir

Back