Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Factions (No, not what you are thinking)

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
Would be an interesting system and add a competitive element, which would keep people interested and hopefully prevent players getting board. I am interested to see how the idea develops.

After talking a bit more with Cryptite about this, we had some more thoughts about what would be in the world. The basic idea is like capture the flag. Each town would spawn into a constructed minimal platform (basically a knife arrival point and a decorative platform). Towns would be guaranteed by the plugin to be separated by some minimum amount. Somewhere in the world would be a temple containing a dragon egg on a platform. The goal would be to find and capture the egg, and return it to your platform. As long as it sits on the platform, it would generate some sort of rare loot periodically.

Towns would then compete to find and then guard the egg on their platform during the duration of the round (however long that is).

Finding the egg could be a simple search for the temple, or may need to be a series of temples leading up to the final one. All of this should be automatable.

mopb3

Slicer
Magpieman said:
Would be an interesting system and add a competitive element, which would keep people interested and hopefully prevent players getting board. I am interested to see how the idea develops.
I agree, though I would not completely discredit the other ideas, merely push them aside for now and implement this some time in the near future.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
No there would still be pvp in normal world, it is more of a game to kinda solve the war system idea. Well thats how i see it anyway.

thelineguy

Slicer
I really like this idea, having a separate 'hardcore' world would be very effective. The only question I have is that how will a round be initiated? Like who can start a round of this and how? Or will it remain as a constant separate world?

Oh, and faction-alliances made in the real world could be incorporated into the plugin so that we can have alliances within each round :3

thelineguy said:
I really like this idea, having a separate 'hardcore' world would be very effective. The only question I have is that how will a round be initiated? Like who can start a round of this and how? Or will it remain as a constant separate world?

Oh, and faction-alliances made in the real world could be incorporated into the plugin so that we can have alliances within each round :3

I think the round start would be announced in by the plugin, but its probably on some fixed interval, like starting every Saturday or something.

And I think the alliances made are just like human ones. Coordinate with the other towns and players and do what you think is best to win. Thats one thing I don't like about faction plugins. They're very rigid and don't allow for subterfuge or rapidly shifting alliances, treaties, treaty breaking, etc.

thelineguy

Slicer
asymptonic said:
thelineguy said:

I think the round start would be announced in by the plugin, but its probably on some fixed interval, like starting every Saturday or something.

And I think the alliances made are just like human ones. Coordinate with the other towns and players and do what you think is best to win. Thats one thing I don't like about faction plugins. They're very rigid and don't allow for subterfuge or rapidly shifting alliances, treaties, treaty breaking, etc.

Yes, human alliances would be much more flexible. I think a fixed interval may be a little hard to deal with, as different people might be busy at different times and some towns may have an unfair number advantage.

thelineguy said:
asymptonic said:

Yes, human alliances would be much more flexible. I think a fixed interval may be a little hard to deal with, as different people might be busy at different times and some towns may have an unfair number advantage.

In that case, there really should be a way to "win", thus ending the round, with the world going dormant for a period of time and restarting later. I want a cool down after a round so people can regroup and strategize for the next one. Maybe instead of a single dragon egg, there more than one, and collecting them all on your base "wins". Each individual one would produce some valuables (diamonds, xp, gems), and the overall win would give the winning town credit in some standings.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
I think when the map is available that people should be able to visit the world and use it however they'd like without the advantage of the game being active. In terms of what's required for the game to start, I think there should be a minimum number of players in the world; perhaps 4 and also at least one player from a minimum of two different towns representing. This would prevent both one player from farming the system, and an entire town if they should send all of their members to grind the world with no other towns there to fight against.

As well, I think there should be periodic announcements that indicate the status of the world like number of players there and number of players required to start the game up.

Perhaps the main world should receive less periodic announcements indicating the status of the PvP world as well so that other players not there can know if they should join or if a game could be started without everybody having to communicate to each other outside of it.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
We must however be careful not to allow people to play this too often as we pride ourselves on being a legit server, the bank was just about ok but i fear this may be too far. We just need to be carful and try and avoid giving away non legit obtained items. A solution to this is that teams "bet" or put in a certain amount of items in and the winner takes it all.

Zor95

Slicer
Magpieman said:
We must however be careful not to allow people to play this too often as we pride ourselves on being a legit server, the bank was just about ok but i fear this may be too far. We just need to be carful and try and avoid giving away non legit obtained items. A solution to this is that teams "bet" or put in a certain amount of items in and the winner takes it all.

Wouldn't this be a good way to put End Stone back into the game? All we have now is what Lolo hoarded months and months ago.

Magpieman said:

A bet is a great idea. And it solves how to prevent the game from starting automatically with just one team. Each portal could have a chest, and you need to deposit a certain amount of currency at which point the plugin takes the 'tribute'. Once enough towns have done so the portal activates (may make it look like a nether portal when its active) and the game can start.

During the game, possession of the egg slowly dribbles out the tribute.

Zor95 said:
Magpieman said:

Wouldn't this be a good way to put End Stone back into the game? All we have now is what Lolo hoarded months and months ago.

I think the overall winning team should get some random rare loot when the game ends. When they return to the real world the tribute chest has something like what you'd find in a dungeon. Random rare or unobtainable stuff.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
As long as the loot is limited and the games are not very often (to avoid farming of it) then i am happy with it.

thelineguy

Slicer
I think that the winning town should take all of the tributes, as well as a few extra rare items (Like you said, golden apples (Which will be MUCH more valuable in the next patch), enchanted pick, etc.), and the extra items' quantity and quality would be based on the tributes given by the towns in the first place. Eg. The winning town would be given more rare items if there were 5 towns which gave 32 diamonds each, rather than 2 towns who gave 64 iron each.

EDIT: Oh, and perhaps we should use cookies/credits as the tribute currency, as to tie in with the current economy.

thelineguy said:
I think that the winning town should take all of the tributes, as well as a few extra rare items (Like you said, golden apples (Which will be MUCH more valuable in the next patch), enchanted pick, etc.), and the extra items' quantity and quality would be based on the tributes given by the towns in the first place. Eg. The winning town would be given more rare items if there were 5 towns which gave 32 diamonds each, rather than 2 towns who gave 64 iron each.

EDIT: Oh, and perhaps we should use cookies/credits as the tribute currency, as to tie in with the current economy.

I disagree. If the winning town gets everything, there's no motivation for the other towns to try and steal back the egg or to hold it. However, I could definitely see dividing the tributes up into some part distributed during the game, and some part of the reward afterward.

Scaling quality based on participation is also a good idea.

Back