Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Suggestion Help the Newbies

Ajaxan

Slicer
So the one thing I've noticed about Loka in my short time here (about two weeks now) is that there is a very large amount of stuff you can do and so many cool features to every aspect of the server. Unfortunately, new players have a hell of a time trying to figure out any of this information. If it wasn't for Grubul messaging me and telling me about everything I would have probably left the server within a day or two. Also, I noticed that the only two alliances and the towns in them are all created by long time members. There's nothing wrong with that of course but it does point to the idea that most new players just don't understand enough to form their own town or make their own alliances.

I know the wiki and the website give some instruction but in general there is still a lack of information about the true magnitude of cool things you can do here. In general here are the main areas in which I see information lacking: (I know that some of this information exist and I bet there are probably already plans to address some of these problems but by opening up a thread about it hopefully we can tackle the problem completely and have new players getting incredibly excited about joining the server.)

1) Continents: Until Grub explained how each continent is unique in the resources, landscapes, crops, and animals it provides I had no idea. This, to me, was a very cool idea and I believe deserves more attention. Deciding where to go is important to many players and I believe this should be mentioned as one of the really cool things about Loka.

2) Industry: This is by far the coolest thing about Loka in my opinion. Minecraft is all about building stuff but for the first time ever I can create buildings that matter and effect my gameplay. This idea is fantastic and it's executed very well. Unfortunately, until I stumbled upon the industry buildings when joining Auru I had no idea they existed. If I had known about this feature and nothing else, I probably would have started my own town and still been playing today. This idea all by itself will motivate people to log on and play.

3) Towns: In general, this idea is easier to understand and the player is probably more or less aware of it when logging on. The only help a player is given though for creating a town is how to build a generator. Although this is a great start there needs to be an easier way to start a town. The idea of a diamond block being a requirement seems fair but its a steep price for any new player. I'll be honest since I started playing I've only found 5 diamonds. Now granted, I haven't been specifically hunting diamonds and the other members in Auru have found plenty of them. My only point is, perhaps there should be a village generator or some cheaper generator to allow people to get started which they can then upgrade to a full town. this way players can get started on their towns right away instead of having to provide 9 diamonds right off the bat. With this more info on towns should be available in general to help the player along. As I have not yet started my own town, and don't really ever plan on doing so, I'll need someone else's opinions on what specific info would help someone get started on a town/village fastest.

4) Shards: I'm a big fan of the way money works in Loka. Having a physical object as money is a great idea and even the way in which you turn ores into shards is original and interesting. Again though, without Grub's help I never would have figured this out on my own. There should be a simple quest to help explain the money system. Simply "Go give this person the money I owe." they then explain the money in the game and what you can get for it.

5) World Map: The world map for Loka is another unique feature that really interested me. For me personally, I was able to find the map right away and used it from step one. As a matter of fact I saw the map before I even logged on and being able to see the towns and everything was very cool! This is part of the reason I logged on to begin with. I recommend putting a link to the map somewhere all new players will see it and be very much aware of its existence.

Ok, that's all I can think of for now. The community here is super strong and even if nothing comes from this post I know the current members of Loka will still help new players as much as possible and get them interested as Grub did for me. hopefully though, if we can give the newbies a bit more to start out with more of them will stay and get excited about all Loka has to offer.

Grubul

Slicer
4: I would say, we should have quests that require us to do the simple tasks, like powering the spawn with shards, and one industry building in spawn that gives us free stuff, like the windmill (actually becoming an industry)? and yeah. i support you for that idea.

And iv talked with crypt about us having,.... many, many, many 30 sec videos, of "HOW LOKA WORKS:xxxxxx" like industries, towns, territory generator fights and stuff like that. Itll come with time. For now, id still say we are in Loka's beta phase. untill we will be able to keep everyone that joins, for whatever the reason he joins, to stay and play, because they are informed enough and stuff that affects them at start works, and is interesting enough, people would paly more, and we would be maxed out most of the time.

Iv seen many newbies join and complete quests and ask : what now? my only answer is - settle on one of the three continents, but explore them first.... And then i have to explain why they differ, how will their choice affect them. And either join a town or start one, because block protection is cool to have. So yea.

Ajaxan

Slicer
If I was at all competent and set up to make YouTube videos I'd love to do that. unfortunately all i have is a free version of Bandicam and no editing skills what so ever. XD

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
A great post, we really appreciate the feedback. New player experience is something we have been trying to tackle for a long time and we have not always been too successful with it. The bullet points are very useful for us and we will try and get this information to the players better. What do you find the best way to learn about a server? Is it reading signs? Quests? Books? Website? In game tutorials? Youtube videos? etc. We try not to bombard new players with too much info as they almost always won't read things when they first join and if we do throw info at them it can be overwhelming. So any thoughts on the best ways to put across info is greatly appreciated.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
You are certainly correct that one of the most difficult things to do. 99.9% of all Minecraft servers have one distinct thing they they do. There are a few more complex servers like Loka out there, but I would wager that Loka may be one of the most diverse servers in Minecraft, which means we also have the infinitely difficult task of telling players what they need to know.

Of course many of us know that players don't read, they don't like to wait, they just want to get in and go and that's also a struggle. We're constantly trying to improve the FTUE (First Time User Experience) and I've noticed a few things watching new players on Loka:
  • Surprising, they do the quests. Frankly I figured most would ignore them. This is good and bad. It means they might have a chance to care about our Lore. It's bad because we only really have intro quests and it's now evident that we should use our questing systems to usher our new players out into the world and use quests to teach them how Loka works.
  • Knowing that, and knowing that players want in on the action, we may be served by adjusting our intro questline and getting players into the world quicker, leaving quests like "Discovering the Artifact", getting to/from Derinus (guy at the bottom of the ladder in the cave) to quests that can be done optionally, later.
That said, YouTube videos is still probably the best way to dispense visual information about each of our major systems. As for your other points:

Continents
The NPC's near the boats tell you about the Continents and there is also a help marker that you run over that does the same. I'm not sure how much better to tell people about the continents other than perhaps even more help markers actually in the continents that talk about a few more things.

These are neat and we need to do better at getting people to place their barn. I'm surprised to know that Industries actually compel you, as they are a constantly unfinished feature and one of our lesser 'big' ones in my view anyway.

This one's tougher. Towns (can) cover a large area and whether you're using all 200 of your alloted radius, placing one immediately prevents people from setting up a town within 500 blocks of yours. Because of this, we really don't want everybody to be able to make a town really quickly, especially since they take between 3-4 weeks to really die if neglected (and that's if people haven't left a HUGE balance in their gen so it runs forever).

As for 9 diamonds, I'm not really worried about that. A skilled player can acquire that really easily, even in this new world's resource situation. Additionally, the cost does a reasonable job at making people spread out a little bit. Most players that could start a town would do so the minute they got somewhere they could which would put a lot of crap towns near the ports.

A quest or two surrounding these Shards would be a good add for sure!

World Map
We can always just drop a link to it to players or provide an in-spawn display about it so people can get to it easier.

Iv seen many newbies join and complete quests and ask : what now? my only answer is - settle on one of the three continents, but explore them first....

Unfortunately not every player wants to explore. They don't want to play survival, they don't want to wait for anybody to invite them. Lots of players want into the best town, get geared, and see the end-game. Town owners are frequently faced with choosing 'good' players vs 'many' players. Even then many of the more impatient players just leave anyway because they're not shown the end-game of our server instantly. C'est la vie.

Thanks for this post btw! Player retention is our biggest failing.

Ajaxan

Slicer
The way you guys have quests is fantastic. Its a great way to get people started and I was a big fan of it. It's so easy to just mindlessly follow the quests and pick up info along the way. My suggestion would to be to make more quests. I stopped doing quests when I hit the brick wall known as the town generator quest. As far as I could tell, until I finished that quests I couldn't do anything else. so that's when I stopped. Luckily by that point Grub had already messaged me. chances are though I would have continued doing the quests before I decided whether or not I was going to continue or not. I'm pretty picky about my servers too. So in general I'd say its a safe bet to assume many others will do the same.

So if I had to add some quests this is what I would do. Also, make sure they all happen in order, are not very tough, and lead well into eachother. This is far easier said than done no doubt but its no doubt important. So all these quest I mention will pick up right before the town generator quests. Unfortunately I hardly remember the quests before that as I did them all at like 4am, haha.

1) Visit the town generator! Go look at the town generator , talk to a dude who explains how it works then return to the original quest guy.
2) Go get me some wheat from the windmill industry! Get the wheat, head back, he explains how it works.
3) Go visit Bob, Jack, and Mary on these three islands and then head back. these three people would be located at the docks of the three islands and you talk to each one who give a very brief overview of the islands. this quest explains the difference between continents and introduce the player to the world of loka and this quest you would also encourage players to use the world map and give them the link.
4) Finally, take this special Emerald and go exchange it for shards.
5) Make a villager generator. Forgive me for continuing with my village generator idea. To me it is an easier goal to reach than the brick wall known as a town generator. Simply bring back the supples a normal town generator has except with an iron block (or lapis, just something easier than diamond) and boom.

By the end of this players should have a basic idea of the cool features of Loka and they didn't have to work too hard or have enough time to get bored either. also, each quest can off them some items so that they will have food, tools, perhaps armor, some shards, and perhaps some other materials to get started with as well.

Ajaxan

Slicer
This one's tougher. Towns (can) cover a large area and whether you're using all 200 of your alloted radius, placing one immediately prevents people from setting up a town within 500 blocks of yours. Because of this, we really don't want everybody to be able to make a town really quickly, especially since they take between 3-4 weeks to really die if neglected (and that's if people haven't left a HUGE balance in their gen so it runs forever).

As for 9 diamonds, I'm not really worried about that. A skilled player can acquire that really easily, even in this new world's resource situation. Additionally, the cost does a reasonable job at making people spread out a little bit. Most players that could start a town would do so the minute they got somewhere they could which would put a lot of crap towns near the ports.

Yeah this would for sure be a problem. That's why I suggested an alternate to towns. A village would be a temporary thing that only last for like 2-3 days. you can't add shards to it and it will simple explode in 2-3 days unless you upgrade to a town generator. You would have limited access to nearly everything but it would allow you to start developing industries and give you a bit of time to find your diamonds needed.

This is only an idea though and I realize that implementing something like this wouldn't be easy. Hopefully though, if you add all the other quests you'll end up grabbing players and they'll be ready to take on the time needed to make a town gen.

Maybe not a village generator, but a LandLord generator - up to 30-50 blocks. Max 3-4 people. For people who want to protect only their house. and thats it.

Exactly Grub, this is the kind of thing I was thinking of. Just a small area for people to get started.

Jedoi

Slicer
If it wasn't for Grubul messaging me and telling me about everything I would have probably left the server within a day or two.
Completely (okay more like slightly) unrelated but Grubal is doing an absolutely brilliant job as a Sentry. To be honest more of us should follow his example.

Maybe that would help with new player retention- us actually talking to them more often then we do, making sure they know they know they can ask us questions, and try to get them interested in Loka.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Completely (okay more like slightly) unrelated but Grubal is doing an absolutely brilliant job as a Sentry. To be honest more of us should follow his example.

Maybe that would help with new player retention- us actually talking to them more often then we do, making sure they know they know they can ask us questions, and try to get them interested in Loka.

This is very true. All too often I see lots of players including sentries, guardians, and myself completely ignoring questions from others and help from new players. I also see LOTS of people welcoming new joins, which I'm always overjoyed to see!

Ajaxan

Slicer
Yeah the community here is fantastic and Grub is without a doubt the only reason I'm here right now. In general though I would say that the players here do invest a lot of time into helping the new players. I myself have helped out many new players just because I know that once they start playing they wont be able to leave. XD

The fact that the community has been around for a long time will help it grow regardless of whether or not the suggestions I had were addressed. In the end, it comes down to the community and Loka has an exemplary one.

Wolfegger

Slicer
One thing it took me a while to figure out is the in-game commands. I did not really notice all the cool help menus (e.g., type /g industry or /help or /g t or /g help--are there others I don't know?). They are very helpful. I still remember almost daily asking what the command was for checking territory status. Grubul just told me about the "inspect" command a week or so ago--I had no clue, and I liked using it to better select my talents. Maybe some way to remind players about these help menus would be a good thing.

Also, there are some useful videos available with /help.

Additionally territories are a tough thing to learn. I wonder if a t-gen attack simulation could be available (I know there are elements in the mini-games, but gulch is a tough one to learn itself). Over the last few weeks, two groups of players dropped gear, no knowing that protection for that ended immediately when the t-gen was destroyed--or not knowing that protection did not start until the inhibitor went online. That is a tough lesson to learn after the fact.

agorednocit

Slicer
Maybe not a village generator, but a LandLord generator - up to 30-50 blocks. Max 3-4 people. For people who want to protect only their house. and thats it.
This gives me an idea: certain towns like capitals or towns above level 20 are able to condone homesteads- I'm thinking maybe just a house and some farmland- within their territory.They would not have all the benefits of a town but still get block protection. This comes at the cost of being at the mercy of the town that can kick you out or impose a harsh tax.
(bullet point time :) )
-This makes good use of territory that IMO is wasted space because nobody can live on it
-Its a good way for town owners to get to know potential members
-A faster and easier way for new players to get a stake in the server because they now have a protected house
-Added incentive to level up/ be capital
-Once again, town owners have less to risk and would be more willing to accommodate newbies
-Think of all the juicy role-play from having a feudal system

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
This gives me an idea: certain towns like capitals or towns above level 20 are able to condone homesteads- I'm thinking maybe just a house and some farmland- within their territory.They would not have all the benefits of a town but still get block protection. This comes at the cost of being at the mercy of the town that can kick you out or impose a harsh tax.
(bullet point time :) )
-This makes good use of territory that IMO is wasted space because nobody can live on it
-Its a good way for town owners to get to know potential members
-A faster and easier way for new players to get a stake in the server because they now have a protected house
-Added incentive to level up/ be capital
-Once again, town owners have less to risk and would be more willing to accommodate newbies
-Think of all the juicy role-play from having a feudal system

Could you perhaps flesh this idea out more? Sounds interesting.

agorednocit

Slicer
With the permission of town owners, players who do not belong to a town are able to build on a small plot within that towns territory. If the territory generator were to be taken out, protection would be lost. This would make the anyone who has a house in the area allign their interests with their landlords to defend the territory or risk be raided. Due to the risks of living in disputed territory, most players would eventually move to a town. But its still good for new players- or anyone who wants a place to stay but can't or doesn't want to be in a town.

It would make for a more instant way for new players to interact with others, and could even become a common outlet for raiding.

agorednocit

Slicer
It takes away from the purpose of territory in the first place if anyone can make a town on it with or without permission (even if there was a tax).

Feel free to expand on the idea, but my thought process was to make it easier for newbies to get temporary housing, nothing permanent. They could still make a town the old fashioned way if they stuck around long enough and still wanted to.

And would have to chat with town owners and interact to find a place to stay.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
How would the players get the land to be 'sanctioned' by the town owner, or rather how would you 'claim the land' so that it was protected?

agorednocit

Slicer
I hadn't thought that far :p
Town owners would give out a custom item; a "Charter". It would be similar to a generator blueprint in the way that it only has to be clicked on the ground. This could be sold to town owners by a paper pushing NPC (for a handsome fee of course)

gabrosen

Slicer
With the permission of town owners, players who do not belong to a town are able to build on a small plot within that towns territory. If the territory generator were to be taken out, protection would be lost. This would make the anyone who has a house in the area allign their interests with their landlords to defend the territory or risk be raided. Due to the risks of living in disputed territory, most players would eventually move to a town. But its still good for new players- or anyone who wants a place to stay but can't or doesn't want to be in a town.

It would make for a more instant way for new players to interact with others, and could even become a common outlet for raiding.

would they still have things like town portals and stuff like that?

Back