Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

How to Prevent Stream Sniping

mindblaster007

Full PvP Immunity will just result in countless other issues. However, what if streamers have a set amount of time in each tile, say fifteen minutes, in which they won’t be affected by PvP, Player-Projectiles, and Player Placed Lava. This would allow them to explore the ruins safely without being “Sniped”.

Please, let me know what you all think!

EDIT: The given time is just an example. Also, thought it would be a given but just in case, streamers can’t affect other people as well.

Last edited:

BuscoNombre

Slicer
Full PvP Immunity will just result in countless other issues. However, what if streamers have a set amount of time in each tile, say fifteen minutes, in which they won’t be affected by PvP, Player-Projectiles, and Player Placed Lava. This would allow them to explore the ruins safely without being “Sniped”.

Please, let me know what you all think!

EDIT: The given time is just an example. Also, thought it would be a given but just in case, streamers can’t affect other people as well.

Thats the same as pvp immunity while streaming

Skuhoo

Administrator
Staff member
Elder
Many servers offer streamers custom kits along with their rank. Maybe there could be some sort of keep-on-death set that expires a few hours after use and can only be used every X days? That's not unfair, as it wouldn't give OP gear that is above anyone else's, but it means we don't have to worry as much about repeatedly losing gear.

I think there is a misunderstanding here about what the word "fair" means in the context of gameplay. A fair game places all players on an equal playing field with nobody being given benefits or advantages over anyone else. When everyone else has to spend time and resources grinding for gear a select group of players having access to a command that gives it to them risk-free is the epitome of unfair gameplay.

I honestly do agree to a point. I don't think Loka should cater to streamers, especially as it doesn't have any large streamers at this point. However, I do think Loka can afford to help streamers in some form, not by making them overpowered. However small the viewership of the current Play Button holders is, we have been added by staff for a purpose: to advertise. Streams are great for advertising. As of now, streams are next to impossible. Therein lies the problem.

You asked "Do streamers have to wait for more steamer-friendly content after exhausting what Loka already offers? Yes." One of the things that bothers me about the situation is that we haven't exhausted what Loka already offers. We haven't been able to. When we try, our streams are interrupted with frequent deaths, and we become stuck in the safety of Town with nothing to do.

Streams are absolutely not next to impossible. You're just set on streaming impossible content. When I said "exhausting what Loka already offers" I was referring to Loka's existing streamer-friendly content. Conquest, PG, VoTA, duels, fishing, and town building are all examples of streamer-friendly content. If you want to create "dangerous" content without risking being stream-sniped then make a YouTube video of it instead.

Loka is made for players, absolutely. We can't make it unfair to players no matter what. To me, PvP immunity doesn't seem unfair, as the streamer couldn't hurt anyone either, and is offering advertising to Loka, but obviously I'm biased and I understand the other side. Again, though, I don't think the only solution needed here is for staff to "make PvE content," because as you said, we can't cater to streamers, and there is absolutely no guarantee that PvE content will prevent/discourage stream sniping, either.

You not believing that PvP immunity for streamers is unfair makes it seem like you do not actually "understand the other side". A streamer with PvP immunity can farm the limited number of shrines, clear out ruins of their limited loot bundles, and harvest endless amounts of any resource from sand to diamonds with virtually zero risk. How can you view that as anything but unfair? Why should a streamer be afforded these advantages over regular players who have to risk their time and resources the moment they leave spawn? Content for Loka is great, but not when it undermines fair gameplay.

FamilyTuber

Slicer
I think there is a misunderstanding here about what the word "fair" means in the context of gameplay. A fair game places all players on an equal playing field with nobody being given benefits or advantages over anyone else. When everyone else has to spend time and resources grinding for gear a select group of players having access to a command that gives it to them risk-free is the epitome of unfair gameplay.

Streams are absolutely not next to impossible. You're just set on streaming impossible content. When I said "exhausting what Loka already offers" I was referring to Loka's existing streamer-friendly content. Conquest, PG, VoTA, duels, fishing, and town building are all examples of streamer-friendly content. If you want to create "dangerous" content without risking being stream-sniped then make a YouTube video of it instead.

You not believing that PvP immunity for streamers is unfair makes it seem like you do not actually "understand the other side". A streamer with PvP immunity can farm the limited number of shrines, clear out ruins of their limited loot bundles, and harvest endless amounts of any resource from sand to diamonds with virtually zero risk. How can you view that as anything but unfair? Why should a streamer be afforded these advantages over regular players who have to risk their time and resources any time they leave spawn? Content for Loka is great, but not when it undermines fair gameplay.
Skuhoo is absolutely right about how we shouldn't be giving streamers perks that other players wouldn't have access too. This is too unfair and likely isn't healthy for the community. So we have to implement an organic mechanic to the server that will feel fair to all players.

Here's one great suggestion:
Also maybe a reward to other players for fending off attackers from a streamer?
Interesting idea, definitely the right direction design-wise.

This is a great step in the right direction. It's an idea that can be implemented and accessed by all players while having the streamer as part of the game (maybe even fit it into the lore somehow?). This idea creates a way for the streamer to be protected but leaving any PvP immunity completely untouched therefore keeping the playing field fair.

NerdieBirdieYT

Slicer
All of that is PvP aside from fishing (boring as heck to watch, only good for chill stream chat) and Town building (again, boring to watch, and worse for stream chat than fishing).

Your other points underline that streamers can't have any advantage over other players. Do you have alternate ideas? Until something changes, I don't see many non-Conquest streams happening at all.

EDIT: might try to stream in a bit and see how it goes.

Evil_X

Sentry
All of that is PvP aside from fishing (boring as heck to watch, only good for chill stream chat) and Town building (again, boring to watch, and worse for stream chat than fishing).
I can't speak for others but the way I got into watching streams is from calm mc streams, someone sanding in a guardian temple or build up a wall or huge build, streamers can lay back and its more a podcast with some gaming in the background is mentioned now and again but this type of streaming definitely has an audience. Even fishing is a lot of fun in any game to watch someone do

NerdieBirdieYT

Slicer
EDIT: might try to stream in a bit and see how it goes.
My stream went surprisingly well. Explored Seagulls Ruins with @SilentStorm6 . I believe he was tracked, but that was once he left for another Town. I didn't see any attackers.

@FamilyTuber streamed today as well. The stream is ongoing, but he was killed at Elrohir Ruins by a sniper within 7 minutes of the stream starting.

EDIT: Tubeh has been snipped again. 10 enemies online.

Last edited:

catfishjw

Slicer
I stand by my original idea of streaming prerecorded footage so anyone who tries to snipe just gets pranked

mindblaster007

So I’ve been thinking and I got a unique suggestion. What if we found a way to make recall stones easier to make/gather? It could be a unique recipe that streamers, or anyone, could make a set number of recall stones for cheaper. They would only be able to make a limited amount and the amount resets each month. This would allow them to escape if they are sniped. We could even make a special recall stone that would teleport them to a random place far enough to escape/hide from the sniper. Again, they would have a limit on how many they could obtain each month.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
So I’ve been thinking and I got a unique suggestion. What if we found a way to make recall stones easier to make/gather? It could be a unique recipe that streamers, or anyone, could make a set number of recall stones for cheaper. They would only be able to make a limited amount and the amount resets each month. This would allow them to escape if they are sniped. We could even make a special recall stone that would teleport them to a random place far enough to escape/hide from the sniper. Again, they would have a limit on how many they could obtain each month.

You cannot recall while in combat, so that would likely be ineffective.

mindblaster007

So I’ve been thinking and I got a unique suggestion. What if we found a way to make recall stones easier to make/gather? It could be a unique recipe that streamers, or anyone, could make a set number of recall stones for cheaper. They would only be able to make a limited amount and the amount resets each month. This would allow them to escape if they are sniped. We could even make a special recall stone that would teleport them to a random place far enough to escape/hide from the sniper. Again, they would have a limit on how many they could obtain
You cannot recall while in combat, so that would likely be ineffective.
True...

catfishjw

Slicer
I see this as a business opportunity. For a relatively low price, good pvpers or a group of such could act as bodyguards to the streamer, with a full refund if the streamer is killed by a player.

Back