Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

How to Prevent Stream Sniping

Mr_Void99

Well, let's think about this...

So first, we really can't do anonymous mode because people could just watch the screen to figure out where you are. We also can't give a streamer magical no-PVP powers either, because that would make it unfair to other players who come across them naturally. We also should not tell them to put a stream lag thingy (whatever it is called :p) on their stream, because if its too short of a delay (AH! Stream Delay! That's it!) a stream sniper could find their general location, and if it's too long of a delay it could distance the streamer from his viewers.

So here's what I propose. A streamer has to register his stream before starting it up, giving a time of start and a rough time of the end. When the stream is over, or while it is in session the streamer can report a player for stream sniping. (Only streamers that are approved (Way giving to get approved above) can report for stream sniping.) An admin will go onto the stream and watch back to see if the reported is actually stream sniping.

Once they have been found guilty of stream sniping they will be given a one week ban, or slightly shorter; and warned of doing it again. If they do it for say... 3 times they get a month-long ban. If It becomes a recurring issue they should be banned for 3-6 months or a perm ban.

(I think the bans should be this long because the stream sniper is interfering with "advertising" for Loka. If they are allowed to keep doing this and keep killing the streamer, a person isn't going to want to watch the stream and will just leave. Therefore deriving Loka from another potential player.)

Evil_X

Sentry
Well, let's think about this...

So first, we really can't do anonymous mode because people could just watch the screen to figure out where you are. We also can't give a streamer magical no-PVP powers either, because that would make it unfair to other players who come across them naturally. We also should not tell them to put a stream lag thingy (whatever it is called :p) on their stream, because if its too short of a delay (AH! Stream Delay! That's it!) a stream sniper could find their general location, and if it's too long of a delay it could distance the streamer from his viewers.

So here's what I propose. A streamer has to register his stream before starting it up, giving a time of start and a rough time of the end. When the stream is over, or while it is in session the streamer can report a player for stream sniping. (Only streamers that are approved (Way giving to get approved above) can report for stream sniping.) An admin will go onto the stream and watch back to see if the reported is actually stream sniping.

Once they have been found guilty of stream sniping they will be given a one week ban, or slightly shorter; and warned of doing it again. If they do it for say... 3 times they get a month-long ban. If It becomes a recurring issue they should be banned for 3-6 months or a perm ban.

(I think the bans should be this long because the stream sniper is interfering with "advertising" for Loka. If they are allowed to keep doing this and keep killing the streamer, a person isn't going to want to watch the stream and will just leave. Therefore deriving Loka from another potential player.)
How would you catch people for stream sniping? I would argue this even gives streamers a form of PVP immunity, who wants to stalk a streamer from spawn or find them in the wild to kill if they could get accused for stream sniping and get punished. There's no reliable way to track a stream sniper, even if you tried to look at stream stats to work out who's watching the sniper could go incognito or log out so there's no account being used to watch it and they can't be track. Maybe if you could have a replay of the area as things happen and then clearly see someone is stream sniping but this method feels too unreliable to be the big fix to the issue

Mr_Void99

How would you catch people for stream sniping? I would argue this even gives streamers a form of PVP immunity, who wants to stalk a streamer from spawn or find them in the wild to kill if they could get accused for stream sniping and get punished. There's no reliable way to track a stream sniper, even if you tried to look at stream stats to work out who's watching the sniper could go incognito or log out so there's no account being used to watch it and they can't be track. Maybe if you could have a replay of the area as things happen and then clearly see someone is stream sniping but this method feels too unreliable to be the big fix to the issue
I was trying to say that if a person keeps coming after the streamer multiple times they would be banned. A way to tell would be to see if the streamer is moving around and the stream sniper keeps appearing to fight him. An example would be say... @NerdieBirdieYT running across Garama and a person keeps appearing even though Nerdie is moving around a lot.

Sparky___

Slicer
I was trying to say that if a person keeps coming after the streamer multiple times they would be banned. A way to tell would be to see if the streamer is moving around and the stream sniper keeps appearing to fight him. An example would be say... @NerdieBirdieYT running across Garama and a person keeps appearing even though Nerdie is moving around a lot.

This is more circumstantial than anything, while it seems obvious to conclude that they're stream sniping, there still isn't exactly a very good standard of proof we can reach to punish someone for that.

Mr_Void99

This is more circumstantial than anything, while it seems obvious to conclude that they're stream sniping, there still isn't exactly a very good standard of proof we can reach to punish someone for that.
True but, like @Evil_X has said "Maybe if you could have a replay of the area as things happen and then clearly see someone is stream sniping but this method feels too unreliable to be the big fix to the issue"

There is no reliable way to tell if they are stream sniping, I was just giving what I thought could be used to help prevent at least some stream snipers.

Back