Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Minecraft 1.6 Features/Discussion

Zor95

Slicer
Today's findings:

• Horses can swim in 1-2 deep water, but they can drown at 2.
  • Horses do not always float in 3+ deep water
  • There is an average of 1 Name Tag per dungeon chest
  • There is an average of 1 iron horse armor in every 5 dungeon/mineshaft chests
  • No gold or diamond armor was found
  • Chests in nether fortresses are either very rare or they do not exist in 13w21a
  • The fastest horse we found traveled 100 blocks in 8 seconds
  • A cage of named bats is by far the coolest thing ever
  • Invisibility potions make horses, their saddles, and their armor invisible
  • It is very easy to lose an invisible horse
  • A fence can only hold about 10 leashes before they all explode
  • It is difficult to PvP on a horse, especially when your opponent is on foot
  • You can leash and lead a squid pretty easily
  • Chicken chandeliers are a must
  • You can remove horse armor and saddles by opening your inventory while riding it
  • You still cannot breed armored horses
  • Horses can jump while falling, make jumping rifts an easy task even for the laggy

JocelynReed

Slicer
Zor95 said:
Today's findings:

• Horses can swim in 1-2 deep water, but they can drown at 2.
  • Horses do not always float in 3+ deep water

We really need to consider this because:

1. If the future map is mostly deep water, we will need many transport bridges for horses.
2. No bridges means your horse can not come with you to other lands.

this could be a great opportunity for thieves as bridges are a good place to attack travelers.

Also, I wanted to add that horses CAN be stolen.

Psychedelic98

Slicer
First I'd like to point out that I got a horse that went 100 blocks in 5 seconds;faster than you zor :p.
Now on to the good stuff. Pvp on horses is difficult but I believe being on a horse gives a significant advantage. Zor seemed to disagree. I didn't really play with mules but if they work how I think they do they could be even more useful, in different situations of course.
I know no one is going to like this, and I really don't either but I think the only way to balance horses is to make them stealable and to give players some method of buying/earning/finding spawn eggs. They're a huge game changer and the last thing we need is a person/group of people who take them all and horde them from everyone else.

andrekeroxd

Slicer
Zor95 said:
[*] Chicken chandeliers are a must

Hear hear!

Ok raiding and horses, a couple of scenarios:

- I put my mule in a wooden barn, block that off and store my good stuff in my mule, Is it legal to tnt into the barn? even though that may kill the mule? Although mules have more health than players?

-Everyone can raid horses. I will rarely go to spawn in horses, because someone may be waiting for me outside of protection to kill me in my horse (Even though there's a good chance i can outrun them, assuming they are on foot)
How can we make them tp to spawn with you? Or is that not a possibility?

-Am I allowed to kill a horse that a player is riding? I would assume so. How can we control that people actually kill a horse that is being ridden and not one that was left at spawn tied somewhere?

Psychedelic98

Slicer
Here's another.
I steal a horse from a stable. Can I take it 10 blocks outside of the stable and kill it? 10 blocks outside of a town? 100? 1000? In my own town? What if it dies accidentally in transit?

Zor95

Slicer
I think the only advantage a horse gives in PvP is speed. Like you said Psych, the horse gets in the way when you're trying to attack with a sword. I killed your horse with ease and then was able to attack you directly. Or I guess if I had chosen to I could've jumped and attacked you directly on the horse.

Another observation I forgot to mention is that at this time, admins who teleport do not get their horse as well. So yes, whoever controls the plains on a continent controls the main source of horses. As long as there is a plains biome on every continent we won't really need bridges. If there's not... I'd prefer rails over a bridge. If there is, I'm also curious if a town would be able to control an entire large plains biome.

Horses used in combat should definitely be legal to kill. It should also be legal to steal saddles and armor from horses or the horses themselves I think. However, other than that I don't think it should be legal to kill horses unless they are free roaming horses nowhere near a settlement or protected region. I also think anything inside a mule or donkey's chest should not be subject to the standard griefing rules of a chest. Chests cannot be killed. Chests cannot move.

Psychedelic98 said:
Here's another.
I steal a horse from a stable. Can I take it 10 blocks outside of the stable and kill it? 10 blocks outside of a town? 100? 1000? In my own town? What if it dies accidentally in transit?

Our rule with items is that you cannot destroy them until you take them back to your home town or wherever you call home (within reason). I think this is a fair rule for horses. If you take one horse and it accidentally dies, then I'd see little problem with that. But if you try to steal 20 horses and several of them die then that is entirely your fault for trying to steal 20 horses.

Someone suggested this a while ago and I like the idea. We build stables at spawn which function as a safe place to keep your horse. For this to be realistic you'd probably have to pay emeralds to lock your stall or something for x amount of time. In addition, or instead, the stables could be filled with horses for sale. Either players could sell them or they can be spawned in. If they are sold by players it would be important to list the stats of the horse. The only problem I see with this is that it may be difficult to get them off of the mainland. The nether or a rail would be your best chance. I have not yet tested if they can ride minecarts, although if the tunnel is big enough then it is faster to ride it anyways.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
I don't think any town will be able to protect a whole plains biome, the size of them is roughly 2k by 2k and a town would cost too much to cover it. My plan is to have a bridge from spawn continent to one other continent closest to spawn to help newer players find land but the other continents would have to be searched for. Players would obviously be able to build their own bridges between land masses if they wanted.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
I can also probably add some code in to make it so that horses are not stealable at spawn altogether. This would allow the social aspect of coming to spawn on your horse (which'll probably be rare) but with the peace of mind that some noob won't just hop on and ride off. Players could also show off their horses at spawn this way as well.

Psychedelic98

Slicer
Magpieman said:
I don't think any town will be able to protect a whole plains biome, the size of them is roughly 2k by 2k and a town would cost too much to cover it. My plan is to have a bridge from spawn continent to one other continent closest to spawn to help newer players find land but the other continents would have to be searched for. Players would obviously be able to build their own bridges between land masses if they wanted.
2k by 2k is a 1k radius which is 550 a day which is high but it's definitely possible. There was recently a maximum gen radius, what is it? I think it should be somewhere in the 400-600 range because more than that isn't necessary for any towns on Loka that we've seen yet.

Zor95

Slicer
Psychedelic98 said:
2k by 2k is a 1k radius which is 550 a day which is high but it's definitely possible. There was recently a maximum gen radius, what is it? I think it should be somewhere in the 400-600 range because more than that isn't necessary for any towns on Loka that we've seen yet.

*cough*

For any towns that you've yet seen.

I think it should be possible to cover an entire biome, though it wouldn't be realistic for hardly anyone. Would a cap of 750 be reasonable?

Psychedelic98

Slicer
Is the actual town that big or does the protection stretch super far outside of the town? Is it abnormally shaped or overly spread? Most towns with a large radius have around half of their radius outside of their walls, left as wilderness.

Zor95

Slicer
The biome is very oblong and the protection covers it with a small buffer. The walls extend to the edge of the biome.

For the most part in a large biome world these types of biome structures don't exist, but I did see one very stretched plain.

Zor95

Slicer
Another bug fixing snapshot... not sure if they're cutting us short on this mob update or just want horses to be perfect first.

Zor95

Slicer
There actually was a snapshot last Friday, though it was really only DInnerbone's response to his game of UHC. It includes a lot of nerfs and changes which I do not completely understand.

First of all, glistering melons now require 8 gold nuggets similar to the recipe for golden carrots. The amount of health that Level I and II Instant Health potions restore has been roughly halved.

Secondly, the Level I tier golden apples now require 8 gold ingots instead of nuggets. They regenerate twice as much health and give you two additional hearts for their time of effect.

The recipe for Regeneration potions is the same, but the amount of health they restore has been decreased.

Regenerating health naturally now costs hunger and saturation points. Because of this the value of each different food has been adjusted slightly.

Finally, zombies can now see you and aggro from approximately 100 blocks away.

Zor95

Slicer
UHC doesn't exist as a gamemode or anything, it's simply a series of rules for gameplay. Dinnerbone joined the Mindcrack gang on their modded server and after his death he went and merged it with vanilla. So now all you have to do to play UHC is turn natural regeneration off with /gamerule and scatter the players with a new teleport command.

So to answer your question, no they aren't exclusive. Most features of UHC modded server are now part of the vanilla game (as listed above).

Back