Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

PvP Updates Thread

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Talents
  • Frost Traps no longer persist through death.
  • Getting hit by Lunge's double-damage attack is now decidedly more gruesome... :>

In general, I'm doing a small pass on all Talent effects for a few reasons:
  • Mostly, cause they could look more awesome. With the upgraded power and performance of the new server, I have the ability (until proven otherwise, anyway), to pump more awesome into the talent particle systems.
  • Next, it's very important for people to be able to see (and hear) what people are doing. Visual and Audio cues are of course important for predicting and planning around Talent usage.
  • I've recently learned how to play the break-block particle effect (unsure why I put this off so long), which means I now have access to a lot more particle effects (at least, visually). Hence things like Lunge's blood splatter now being a thing.
  • As we move onto more professional, spectator-covered matches of VotA, it's important not just for Players, but for spectators to be able to see who is casting what and on whom. Things get a little dicey sometimes and it's hard to yell who's doing what with all the effects going on.
  • Finally, some talents just aren't broadcast very well. Some are fine, some could look cooler, so I'm just doing a pass on all the things. This should not only help things look cooler, but many Talents that have a passive effect (heals from Freyjia's Arrow, for example) will soon have a particle effect to show it, rather than just seeing the initial burst.

Last edited:

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Talents
  • Overloaded Shield's damage has been reduced.
Battlegrounds
  • You are no longer able to drop weapons, etc in Battlegrounds with the exception of Arrows and Potions

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Valley of the Artifacts
  • The Doors from your spawn now open and close every 15 seconds for 15 seconds. This is meant to gate respawning and prevent single-respawn tactics. This is a major change, we understand, but we feel it'll add more strategy to VotA and make Deaths mean more. This 15 second number is subject to change and may likely be increased.
  • Players will no longer ever take fall damage when inside their spawns.
  • Health is now visible for all players.
Talents
  • Overloaded Shield, as it turns out, was accidentally calculating each absorbed hit twice, meaning people with OS active were detonating twice as fast if they were taking damage than they should've been.

13lackpearl

Slicer
Thats amazing update. I always felt that death didn't mean much in winning or losing the game since they just come back right away.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Time for the talents revamp! The following are the updates to the Talent Tree after the new review:

Note that these are in development. Because some of these are somewhat substantial changes taking a little while longer to write than usual, I'm releasing the changes we know about early so you guys can discuss the talents, etc.

Talents - Defense
  • Last Stand's movement decrease has been removed.
  • Last Stand now shows particles for the duration of its effect and has an 'off effect', something that all talents with a duration-when-used will show when necessary.
  • Resolve has been removed and replaced with:
  • NEW: Hook: Fire a hook at your target location. If the hook hits an enemy player, that player will be yanked towards you. If the hook hits a block, you will be pulled towards the destination. This will have a maximum range.
  • Overloaded Shield has been removed and will be replaced with:
  • NEW: Quake: Knock nearby enemies up several blocks in the air, doing damage and causing a severe slow (possibly a complete root) that lasts several seconds.
Talents - Utility
  • Holy Grenade now heals for slightly less, and for a varying amount. It is no longer a straight 3 heart heal. This is intended to make the talent act more like a real Splash Health Potion that just so happens to also heal nearby friendlies. The view was that this talent was simply too strong to be level 3 and felt like a requirement to have for most players.
  • Holy Grenade now requires Potency
  • Rallying Cry now has a new effect. Using Rallying Cry drops a beacon at the caster's feet. Any friendly players that run over this beacon will gain Speed the same as the players who receive the initial Speed buff.

These are not final, there are more changes coming that we have not yet finalized yet. In short, the remaining changes are talents that will be replaced with something else: Thorns, Well Fed, and Ender Charge.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
I should add that Quake isn't quite like Breathing room, the direction you're knocked is straight up and not 20 blocks away. The added damage and possible root will also differentiate it from that old talent.

Leasaur

Slicer
Is there any way to get rid of the lag spikes that accompany the doors opening/closing? A few other people and I have noticed this, and it's really annoying :/

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Here are some more upcoming updates to the Talents:
  • Normal regeneration in Battlegrounds has been reduced by half. This is in line with the following addition:
  • NEW: Bandage: All players will receive a Bandage in Battlegrounds. This is regardless of any having any Talents. Bandage is an item with somewhere between a 45s and 60s cooldown. When used, you will regain 5 hearts over 7 seconds. Moving or taking damage cancels this effect.
Talents - Defense
  • Thorns has been removed and will be replaced with:
  • NEW: Resistant You take 20% less damage from Harming Potions.
  • Quake also temporarily blinds players hit by it.
Talents - Utility
  • Well Fed has been removed and will be replaced with:
  • NEW: Improved Bandage: Your bandage now heals 7 hearts over 9 seconds.
  • Ender Charge has been removed and will be replaced with:
  • NEW: Potent Word: Silence all enemies within 15 blocks. Enemies silenced are unable to use any abilities for 6 seconds. In addition you posses: Potent Word Aura: Every 45s you and all nearby friendlies recover 1 health and damage potion.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
The PvP server will be offline most of today for various maintenance, updates, upgrades, and whatnot reasons. It should hopefully be back up tonight with new talents implemented and the like.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
PvP Server maintenance is almost complete. We should see it restored tonight with the new Talents and some minor updates/fixes to VotA as well.

Kobeyador

Slicer
"Enemies silenced are unable to use any abilities for 6 seconds." what about abilities that are already active and being used like last stand/bandages or abilities in the middle of being used but triggered /fired like exploding arrow?

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Silence is not a purge, so it will not remove any actively running abilities (Last Stand, Rallying Cry, etc). However, four abilities can be considered to having a "channeling time". These would be the three Bow talents: Explosive Arrow, Hook, Freyjia's Arrow, and Bandage. If you use Silence near somebody with any of these talents active (but not yet 'fired', in the case of Bow talents), it will shutdown their ability.

MasterAegon

Slicer
What if the ability has been fired? Will silence stop something like Explosive Arrow from igniting once it lands? I'm sure it can be argued that silence should stop it even if it's already been fired but I'm not sure how I feel. Could you clarify?

I have a feeling that by what I've read, silence won't stop an arrow like that if it's already been loosed.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Correct, once the arrow has been fired, you won't be able to, like, silence it out of the air. Any time between when the player activates the talent and the arrow has been fired, though, is silenceable.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Valley of the Artifacts
  • Doors no longer open and close via pistons. This may alleviate door lag.
  • Artifact control progress now resembles that of VoC's tower capture.
  • Artifacts will now revert progress if not fully captured or neutralized, similar to VoC Towers.
  • Kills now immediately, accurately update the scoreboard. In previous VotA's a kill that would push your team to 100 wouldn't trigger the win check, now it should.

13lackpearl

Slicer
Vota wins, loss, and other stats are not updated in both the book in /pvp, nor the website.

Well, I tried out 1v1 too, and that also seems to be doing the same thing. No win/loss update in neither the book nor website.

Last edited:
Back